Premature Speculation: Just how good is Lionel Messi?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maradona was already a legend before he even made his first division debut at age 15. He was truly a freak of nature. As a kid, he was brought in to provide entertainment at halftime during first division matches, because his juggling of the ball was so incredibly amazing. He would do things with the ball that were circus worthy. I don't think there will ever be anybody like him. He had the ball skills of Messi, the vision and passing touch of Riquelme, and the grit, fighting spirit and street-smarts of Tevez, all rolled into one.

When all is said and done, Lionel Messi could very well become the best player in the world, he could very well pass Maradona in terms of achievements, but being a couple of years younger than Diego and having experienced his whole career, I think the phenomenon that was Diego Maradona in Argentina will never be duplicated.

Anyway I don't want to distract from the discussion about Messi, but here is my blog entry on Diego Maradona's life:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/blog.php?b=1776

1 person likes this.
  2. Ecclesiastes2003

May 30, 2003
    Yeah what a legend. He single-handedly defeated Inter. Oh wait, you mean he was almost invisible in the game? lol.

3. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Not too different from the first Arsenal match, eh? :)

4. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    And the Stuttgart match. People have short memories. Even then Messi created 2 great goal scoring opportunities.

Pretty pathetic trolling on the Mexican's part.

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    While Rooney and CRonaldo are tearing it up in the CL semifinals... oh wait.

6. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Erm youve just listed 3 games all aways where Messi has went missing, hardly the sign of a player earmarked better than Maradonna.

Is Messi just a glorified homer? Bye Bye to Argentinas world cup if he is.

7. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

was there nothing different like rules, laws and money in football to make that an 100% fair comparison? Messi is nowhere near Diego at the moment and has a lot of work before he is.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    He plays over 60 matches per season, you're talking about 3?

Anyway, he didn't go missing he just didn't stand-out in those 3. It would be pretty difficult to stand-out in the Arsenal match. You'd need about 10 shots on goal, because 4 or 5 was just about the average the way Barca dominated. :p

9. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I don't know, this is Diego vs Man Utd, not sure how old he was, but he was at Barca, so he was Messi's age or older. I'm not saying Messi's better, but "nowhere near" is wrong.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rinB8Z6kj2Q"]YouTube- Young Maradona VS Manchester United vol, 1[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtGF_m5rkD8&feature=related"]YouTube- Young Maradona VS Manchester United vol, 2[/ame]

10. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I've listed 3 games where Messi has underperformed by his standards playing away. When he played at home he killed in both the Stuttgart and Arsenal matches. Jumping the gun because of a performance when Barca's entire squad underperformed yet created at least 6 good scoring opportunities, 2 of those because of Messi, in the second half is ridiculous.

And I've hardly seen people claim he's better than Maradona.

11. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Messi plays in the easiest top league of the big 3. After Barca and Real the league becomes a joke, 27 points gap, its a bigger version of the SPL.

He rarely performs against the big teams and when he does its normally at the Nou Camp, great players turn it on home and away, Messi hasnt master this yet.

He has a great record in the Classicos but whens the last time Real Madrid were dangerous while Messi has played at Barca, anyone knows they are terrible defensively.

I just think tonight showed Messi is far from the complete player and some of his rave reviews over the year have been a little premature.

1 person likes this.
  12. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Messi plays with a Barca team with maximum spending power, unlimited amount of foreign playrs in the 11 etc. Maradonna played in far weaker sides than Messi both club and international level. At the minute Messi is nowhere near Maradonna but Im not saying its like he wont ever get near him.

13. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Watch the video.

14. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    :rolleyes:

This isn't even worth discussing. Messi is Barca's top scorer of all time in the CL, he's scored 7 goals in 8 matches in clasicos. He's scored against Manchester United, Arsenal, Bayern Munich, etc.... What more do you want? It's pathetic that you are trying to discredit him. You also realize that this isn't the only season he's played football right?

Messi scored a hattrick against Madrid when Madrid won the league. What are you talking about?

It really is hilarious. One match proves everything doesn't it? Give me a break :rolleyes:.

Xavi didn't do anything tonight either. He had a very sub-par match. Does it mean he's far from a complete player and his praise is pre-mature?

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    There isn't a "big 3" anymore. Perhaps you missed the newsflash about Germany almost passing Italy in the UEFA coefficient, while Spain and England are miles out in front(?)

16. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Messi needs good coaching I think too. As do most players. Pep messed up big time today by keeping a worthless Ibra one for as long as he did. And then replacing him with a fricking left back for christ's sake. :rolleyes: Inter focus goes to Messi over Pedro...and Alves who looked like he was playing as a foward toward the end lol.

Messi was pretty invisible for the whole game (credit to Mourinho's tactics) -- but the two chances that he had were damn good. He has it. That FK was great, and when the Inter defenders gave him all that space -- he almost blasted it into the net. Messi is still good...and as a Brazilian, I'm ok saying this. Quiet night, but he was dangerous.

1 person likes this.
  17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That statement sums it up well. It's also supported by the fact that the haters waited until after the match to trash Messi (because they were shitting their pants during the game, and knew Messi could score right after they trashed him if they posted too soon). :p

18. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    yet Barca destroyed the 3rd best team in the EPL, and the best team last year in the final

who is to say Barca wouldn't have an easy time in the EPL, considering Arsenal and the way they play are sitting comfortably in third, Barca who is clearly ab better team would probably be among the top in England as-well

19. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    I'm sure Pele, Maradona and Cruyyff never played bad games in their careers. :rolleyes:

20. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    The thing is we get to see Messi every game. Back then you got to see one of them every blue moon, and the highlights only showed the great performances. So its easier to find a players fault in today's game where the whole world can watch.

Obviously they had bad games. But your barely got around to hear or even see about those.

I am not saying by any stretch Messi is in the level of Pele or Diego, but he definetly has the talent to get there, time will tell.

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The thing is, back then there was no easy easy access to trolls, as we have today.

I am sure when -for example- Santos was eliminated by Independiente in Copa Libertadores, the eclesiasteses and roykeaneses of that era were probably saying that Pele was a failure, that Bernao outplayed him, that Trossero easily shut him down, and so on.

But people back then were lucky, they didn't get exposed to those comments as we are now.

Oh well, it's a small price to pay for having the pleasure of being able to have a serious discussion with real fans of the game from all over the world.

:D

1 person likes this.
  22. Tribune

Tribune Member

Jun 18, 2006
    I think Pele did not play against Independiente - if you are refering to the 1964 semifinal.

PS : This is quite ridiculous. Are we seriously expecting Messi not to have any stinker in his entire career ? And when he does are the trolls going to pop up every time just like today ?

23. Ecclesiastes2003

May 30, 2003
    I already said that I'm not trashing those legends (and I never have so I don't know why you keep creating that straw man), but to be comparing Messi to them now for sure is premature.

24. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Don't pay attention to this guy he is just a muppet.;)

25. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    :D
    Once again the voice of reason, stop that, would you? LOL :D