Premature Speculation: Just how good is Lionel Messi?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I think he has like 7 goals in 8 matches against Madrid. If he stays at Barca and continues he will definitely surpass Raul as the top scorer ever in clasicos.

2. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    The way you wrote your sentence it insinuated all three goals were scored when Barca was a man down. Only one was.

Lol. Sorry, but that's an unfair argument. He was as much part of the team as anyone else. He is as much to blame as the rest.

Yes. Ronnie was beginning to go downhill. But he still had an excellent season (not superb by his standards, but still excellent).

No he didn't. Don't make up stuff.

3. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Maybe you took it that way. I'll rephrase. He completed his hattrick when Barca were down to 10 men. There.

More proof that you didn't even watch La Liga that year. Barca lost on head to head results. They were actually leading in points and had a massive goal differential. The team lost the title due to stupid defensive mistakes down the stretch and to Madrid's incredible luck. Messi and most of the attacking players at Barca did pretty much all they could to win.

I agree he was quite great at times but you could already sense that he started to not give crap (somthing completely evident the next season) and he was inconsistent. For a large part of the second half of that season his influence on the team was not as big as Messi's.

Ok :rolleyes:.

4. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Seasonlong Ronnie or Eto'o were much more influential.

5. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ronaldinho was certainly not a traditional playmaker either. He played from the left - damn near invented a position. The fact remains that the unlocking of defenses at Barca when Ronnie was at his peak was almost entirely his affair. Whether it was a clever dribble, a no-look pass or an inch perfect through ball, the magic that allowed Barca to transition from possession to attack was wielded by the wand of Ronaldinho.

As good as Messi is, he is not the orchestrator. In fact, he is rarely the orchestrator. It isn't fair to compare the two unless you just want to look at stats, in which case, fine Messi is a clear winner, but in terms of control and influence, it is hands down Ronaldinho. At his peak, you could have put him on the pitch with any collection of players, good, bad or great and he would have had almost the same impact. He did it in the CL, he did it in the league and he did it for his country.

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    IIRC, Ronaldinho scored most of his goals early on in that season. Down the stretch it was obvious that Messi was playing better than Ronaldinho.

7. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Didn't Ronaldinho get himself red carded against Getafe which caused him to miss the game against Espanyol? Was that a different one?

Lets also remember that Messi was only 19 in 06/07 :eek:

8. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    This bit certainly isn't a fact. Deco was extremely influential for Barca while Ronaldinho was at his best, as was Xavi.

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    You are correct. IIRC it was a stupid red card too and early on in the Getafe game. His teammates came through though and got 3 points despite playing most of that match with 10 men.

10. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. We use to have a saying on our board, "As goes Deco, so goes Barça."

The notion that Ronaldinho was the whole show is ridiculous. The football style under Rjikaard is the same as under Guardiola, it's just finer tuned in this current squad.

Ronaldinho was The Man on the team back then, Messi is The Man now. You don't have to bother figuring out ways to quantify it or define it. Nobody would argue those statements. My only reasoning behind saying that Messi has yet to equal Ronaldinho's time at Barça is that he literally hasn't equalled his time. There's about 8 (hopefully 9) games left this season to overturn that.

11. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    He tried to kick a Getafe defender in the nuts.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5NJS8RkG0A"]YouTube- Ronaldinho red card Getafe[/ame]

(About 2:00)

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Right before the 2006 World Cup, Ronaldinho was interviewed by the English magazine 4-4-2, and he was asked how it felt to be the best in the world. Ronnie's humble reply, in clear reference to Messi, was: "Best in the World? I don't even feel that I'm the best at Barca."

He went on to say to watch out for Messi in Germany, and added that even though Messi was from Argentina, he took care of him like a little brother, because he was going to be the best.

(I may be paraphrasing a bit, but I remember the article well. That quote made the cover of the magazine, and a friend lent me a copy.)

1 person likes this.
  13. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I had a long response and my computer went crazy. I'm not going to type all of it but I'll write some.

I was talking more about Riquelme.

Dinho was amazing but some people have already adressed this so I won't.

But that's not his job. As was mentioned. Why are we asking him to be an orchestrator? Even then he still has plenty of assists season after season and he dishes out tons of through balls as has been proved.

In control yes but why is it hands down Ronaldinho when it comes to influence? Messi is Barca's top scorer in the CL or is tied with Rivaldo or something like that. Isn't that a lot of influence? He's scored like 7 times in 8 clasicos. To me this is a huge influence on his side.

For his country????

14. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Throughout the history of the World Cup it has been a rarity that the player expected to be the all-conquering superstar of a World Cup before the tournament started actually fulfilled expectations and became that superstar.

2010 Messi
    2006 Ronaldinho
    2002 Zidane
    1998 Ronaldo
    1994 Baggio?
    1990 van Basten
    1986 Platini
    1982 Maradona
    1978 ?
    1974 Beckenbauer/Cruyff
    1970 Riva?
    1966 Pelé
    1962 Pelé
    1958 ?
    1954 Puskas

1974 might have been the only occasion.

15. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    I love that part of the Messi story as well. I remember reading somewhere that even Maradona would not be as dominant in "the modern era" as he was in the 1980s, underlined by the usual arguments (less space, better tactics, higher pace and so on). Thanks to Messi we can ignore nonsense like that now!

16. Triton

Triton Member

Apr 27, 2009
    For 1986 you can add Maradona without any problem. He was on an even bigger pressure in Mexico than four years earlier. He had the chance to put all his doubters to bed after all the criticism he got after the debacle in Spain.

Most experts viewed the 1986 World Cup as the battle between Maradona and Platini, considering their status at that time and their scintillating form.

As for the others, I would agree. I can't comment on the period before the 80s, but I'm sure nobody entered in a WC as hot as Maradona in 1982 and 1986, Van Basten in 1990, Baggio in 1994, Ronaldo in 1998 and Ronaldinho in 2006. From those, seems that only Maradona was able to resist the pressure, and perhaps Baggio or Ronaldo, although to a lesser extent.

We'll see if Messi is able to to do that as well.

17. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Baggio carried Italy into the final, sure he missed that pk but still

18. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carrying a team in a world cup isn't the only method of becoming a "great". Sure it's the "easier" method of being recognized as one of the best ever, but maintaining this ridiculously high level of play at club level will cement him as a legend.

19. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    I would actually add Romario to this list for 94 -- won the league title with Barcelona, while scoring 30 goals I think. FIFA Player of the Year. He was pretty much Brazil's only hope (with Bebeto a possibility). And he lived up to that -- scoring 5 goals in the WC -- including a game winning goal against Sweden in the semis -- and that cheeky PK in the final.

20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Deco's influence was sporadic. He did a lot to transition possession into attack, but the unlocking of a defence? That was Ronnie imo. Deco benefited greatly from playing w/ Xavi and Ronnie. He was certainly a good player and creative in his own right, but I wouldn't rate him at the level I rate Iniesta. He had far less influence than Ronnie in the final third.

As for Xavi. You are rewriting history. He was a pivot back then. He'd unlock teams in the manner a Pirlo would (from deep) whilst also keeping possession. It wasn't until a few years later that he was asked or encouraged or took it on himself to play a more active role in the final third.

21. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Deco in his first two seasons at Barca actually played high up the field, about parallel with Ronaldinho and Giuly. From there he was massively influential for Barca. In one or two of those seasons not only did he chip in with plenty of assists he also led the team in tackles. He was played a fairly similar role to the one that Jose Maria Bakero played in Cruyff's dream team.

Iniesta was very good last season, has been poor this season. Deco was of greater influence in those two seasons than Iniesta the last two.

I'm not rewriting anything. Xavi was not as influential then as he has been lately but he was still a vital part of Barca's attack and created significant numbers of chances. The idea that it fell "almost entirely on Ronaldinho" is though rewriting the events.

22. darek27

darek27 Member

Aug 29, 2008
    messi is only 23, so let's compare him to 23 years old maradona.
    I don't think, that diego could to win it.

both have exceptional skills but,

leo is the best player in the best team in the world, while diego was the best player in an average team in argentine league.
    messi shine in international club competitions, diego didn't.
    in NT both won U-20 WC, plus messi has olympic gold medal and copa america runner - up.

this what made maradona a legend was his time in napoli and in NT 85-90.
    messi has a lot of time to egual or surpassed it...

23. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Diego was not just the best player on an average team in the Argentine league. He was the best player in the Argentine league, period, at a time when the league was much better than now, because it retained most of its talent. He was playing at the same high level that we later saw at Napoli.

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    But people do LOVE to reminisce about the past. If Maradona was 23 right now - in the media age where everyone would notice and remember whenever he had a quiet game - then surely people would still be saying Messi is the best player in the world right now.

25. Triton

Triton Member

Apr 27, 2009
    During his time in Argentina, he was considered by many as the greatest player in the world, despite not winning much. It's not that he got twice in a row the ''South American player of the year'' award for nothing, and that while playing for Argentinos Juniors and ahead of guys like Zico or Falcao, two defined all-timers.

It's not a coincidence that he entered the WC in Spain with the ''world's greatest player'' tag on his back either.