Preki Scoring Title

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by JPNutter, Oct 28, 2003.

1. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And where did it get his team? Tied for the 4th best record in the league.

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And potentially two home playoff matches - as opposed the the 8th or 9th in the league we would've been without him.

3. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    You're so right. :rolleyes:

A) By "You", you meant Preki, right? I'm pretty sure nobody on this board won the Bud scoring title, but thanks for taking it so personally.

B) Your statement makes just slightly more sense than awarding the MVP to whatever field player had the best single game stats.

4. wizardsrunner

wizardsrunner New Member

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City, MO
    Re: Re: Preki for MVP

In my view, while stats are important to determining the MVP (after all, you don't see many defensive midfielders on the short list), just because someone is the scoring champion doesn't necessarily make that person MVP, either. I really believe that the MVP should be the person who is the most valuable to his team, and I think determining that is a far more subjective task...you are quite right, it is a very hard thing to quantify.

As far as being proud of "overtaking and winning the title from a guy that's had his foot in a cast for over a month" goes...you know, Preki didn't shove Twellman in front of a speeding bus or anything...suggesting Preki cheated in some way, or that his accomplishments are tarnished because Twellman got injured is just silly. The statement certainly doesn't help the "Twellman for MVP" campaign: if anything, the 4 straight wins (if memory serves) New England has notched without Twellman in the lineup suggest that maybe the Revs, at least for a while, are doing just fine without Twellman. The Wizards, sad to say, would probably not fare nearly as well without Preki for 4 games...which might suggest that maybe Preki means more to his team, which is what being MVP is all about anyway.

5. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Re: Re: Re: Preki for MVP

'runner is onto something that was proven as law a few hundred years ago. Stick with me, I promise there's a point:

The "V" in MVP stands for value. Look at 2 investments of the same amount purchased at the same time.

INV A is a steady-as-a-rock x% growth every month. No variance. Boring. Steady. Plannable. No worries. Pencil it in. Always the same amount of interest.

INV B recieved a phenominal return one month and lost money the next. The return was never the same or accurately predictable at any time. Every day its' a crap shoot when you check the price on-line. You worry when it will come back or fall. The investment always had extreme variance and sometimes loss. At the end of the year it happened to grow exactly the same amount in total as INV A.

INV A is absolutely more valuable. Many have done doctorate thesis on more complicated versions of this same theory. The basic answer is always the same. INV A wins...every time.

The main difference is easy to spot - the variance of the investment at any given time. INV A is more valuable because it has less variance.

Here's why in a nutshell: In real life you hardly ever know when the rainy day is coming. So if you only have one investment, it's a good idea to make sure that the rainy day happens sometime when you are not forced to take a loss. With INV B, you can't be certain. Although both investments grew the same amount, INV A has more value over the period because you could count on it. Your Rainy Day could either be the team needs 2 points from your stud to win or when you have no choice about spending your money. It makes no difference.

MVP is esentially awarded to the 10 teams' best solitary investment over a 30-game season. Preki not only had more real return (points/goals involved in) than any other single player, but his consistency (appearances, games on scoresheet, simple being there in practice every day, etc.) was obviously greater as well.

In addition to producing less than Preki, Donovan and Twellman missed x games. As the investor (the team) can't pick those games or plan on their absence in advance, both of their values are hurt in very real terms. It may not make one iota of difference come voting time, but it should.

The only player having any reasonable argument about MVP is Onstad - the best GK this season.
    -oot

6. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Preki for MVP

Not arguing against Preki at all, but Onstad? Sure, he did a fine job, but the best GK this season was Hartman.

7. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always liked Preki but his win can't have a lot of satisfaction since he played 8 more games. The number were:

Twellman - 22 games 34 points
    Preki - 30 games 41 points

I'm sure he would like to win on a level playing field but history will simply show that he won

8. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RevsRule,
    What is it you don't understand about the Most Valuable Player award? That's what we're talking about, not the scoring championship.

Preki, in the opinion of most, is far maore valuable to his teams success than Taylor is to the Rev's success.

Cheers,

KCFutbol

9. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Actually KCFutbol the thread title is "Preki Scoring Title". Although the thread has turned to MVP talk, the scoring title was the original topic.

Now, RevsRule...
    Re: Scoring title. What don't you understand? The "Budweiser Scoring Champion has not been changed to the "Budweiser Most Points per Game Champion". If that were the case then I'd venture to say (being lazy and not looking back and doing the math) that many of the past BSCs would have lost out to the BMPPGC. Give it a rest, obviously durability and availability go into an award based on total points.
    Example (if your an NFL fan at all): Priest Holmes ran for over 1500 yards last season in just 14 games. He was well on his way to the NFL rushing title. But missing the last two games Ricky Williams passed him and took the title. While everyone knew Holmes had it locked up, the fact that he missed the last two games made him lose the title because, again, its not yards per game its total yards.

Re: MVP
    The MVP race is going to be close. There are other threads on the MLS forums about it so I'm not going to sum up everything I've said over there. All I'll say is that LD, TT, Preki, Razov, Spencer and Armas deserve consideration. But something must be said for being available to your team for all 30 games of a season, doing basically everything for your teams (isn't that the definition of value?), and leading the league in points.

10. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct you are, but I get so tired of fans of other teams coming to the Wizards forum to badmouth our players.

You analogy about Priest Holmes was right on target. Awards are not given out for what might have happened, they are given out for what did happen.

Preki won the scoring tile, end of discussion. Preki may or may not win the MVP but he's certainly deserving and in the thick of the hunt.

As a geezer who's 10 years older than Preki, I'm sure pulling for the "old man" to bring home the hardware.

11. JPNutter

JPNutter New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Kansas City
    If he played for DC you wouldn't have the same opinion.

12. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think he was deserving but my enthusiasm would be much less for a non-Wizard player.

Does it seem odd to you that I'd support a Wizard player? What point are you trying to make or are you just trying to start an argument?

13. SoccerNutScott

SoccerNutScott New Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Olathe, KS
    It was kind of a joke. I have seen him use his right before.

14. JPNutter

JPNutter New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Kansas City
    Not trying to start an argument just pointing out that its easy to pick your guy for the MVP. Not that he doesn’t deserve it, just that it doesn’t hold much validity when you pick your own guy, right or wrong.

15. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Preki Scoring Title

I agree it would lack validity if the Wizards player was undeserving. But in Preki's case he obviously is. He may not win because there are other deserving players as well as the fear of MLS having a 40 year old MVP.

16. jkl;

jkl; New Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Preki for MVP

True, but even Onstad missed a few games due to callups.

17. JPNutter

JPNutter New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Kansas City
    Re: Re: Re: Preki Scoring Title

I think he is the best choice but I had to go with Spencer because my loyalty and admiration of Preki clouds any sort of objectivity I may have in the matter.

18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Preki Scoring Title

Which is nice enough of you to admit, but just because you admit that your own conflict of interest clouds your judgement - it is arrogant of you to assume that it clouds the judgement of all Wizards fans. And at the very least poor form to call out Wizard fans in the Wizards forum. If we can't be "homers" here, then where can we be.

Objectivity is for the MLS forum.