Preki named head coach

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by bkelly, Jul 15, 2013.

1. bkelly

bkelly New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. HectorF18

HectorF18 Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I was not expecting that as I don't remember Preki having much success as a coach. Checked Wikipedia and his teams averages a 37% winning %. Maybe USL will bring him greater success.

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Chivas USA actually did pretty decently during the Preki era.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.D._Chivas_USA#Year-by-year

4. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, wasn't expecting that. Shows that this ownership group means business!

5. HectorF18

HectorF18 Member

Aug 19, 2012
    QuietType repped this.
  6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OTOH, he has more wins than losses while coaching in MLS, and Toronto and Chivas haven't exactly improved since his departure.

This has the makings of a solid hire.

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas USA didn't exactly improve during his tenure. They went from 15-7-8 and first in the West in 2007 to 12-11-7 and 2nd in the West in 2008 to 13-11-6 and 4th in the West in 2009.

Career:
    League - 49-42-29
    Playoffs - 0-3-3
    Open Cup - 0-3-0
    Total - 49-48-32

He has been with two clubs that couldn't get out of their own ways, and does have a wealth of experience. The jury is out on his methods for translating that experience. But given his name recognition (and 2 years in the CISL in Northern California), certainly a good hire for this level, it would appear at first blush.

QuietType repped this.
  9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good hire. Future is looking up.

10. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Impressive hire for an expansion USL team. Former US international, MLS legend, 2007 MLS Coach of the Year. He and Bradley were the only guys who made/kept Chivas USA a competitive team. He also still has the second best record as a TFC coach. Going 11-11-10 would look pretty good compared to the TFC of the last couple seasons.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Good for Preki!

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone see Preki (and Meola) during the open ceremony for the MLS All-Star game? Pretty cool.

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I heard them mention Preki but I looked away and missed him. Good to hear that he made it to the game.

14. Manderino

Manderino Member

Aug 21, 2008
    KCK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Had the pleasure of meeting Preki last night after my club embarrassingly lost to NJRB and asked him what he was up to now days...I was in shock when he mentioned Sacramento. Awesome news for you guys! Good luck!

QuietType repped this.
  15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I heard he was in KC all week. Wonder what he is doing there?

16. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was inducted into the SKC Hall of Fame I believe, along with Tony Meola. Sac Republic FC posted a picture of it during the All Star game.

17. Manderino

Manderino Member

Aug 21, 2008
    KCK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Preki, supposedly, is ready to head the Republic FC for their inaugural 2014 season. I heard from mutual friends who know the director that he is busy looking at and evaluation players but that was 3 weeks ago. So far, I've heard nothing about him taking an MLS job but you know things change rapidly in this business, I.E. Yallop, Mariner , Chelis etc. Would be interesting to see what will happen.

20. Tower Bridge Battalion

Mar 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
  21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't change the fact that he was a MVP MLS player and a decent coach. Hopefully he pulls a Adrian Heath and is there for the long haul to MLS. But he will get more looks from other MLS clubs. He is that good.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I hear Preki is a no nonsense kind of coach who (so far anyway) has run a very professional environment. I remember reading he was like that at while he was at Chivas. Chivas USA hasn't been quite the same since they let him go.

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ( a ) MLS is not a certainty. I know everybody acts as if it is just because they want it, but they haven't exactly kicked a ball yet.
    ( b ) He is? Chivas went from 1st to 2nd to 4th in his three years, they didn't win a playoff series, and between MLS and the Open Cup, they were 40-35-24. Toronto was 9-13-8 under him, actually worse than they had been the year before. So "he is that good" based on what? His 49-48-32 career?

They weren't even the same while they had him.

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your responding to month old posts, but at least they aren't years old like other people. Notice how after Preki left Chivas, they went from 4th to dead last. I would take a drop of 1 to 4 over a drop to 19th. Can anyone be really judged in Toronto? When someone (Nelson) actually succeeds in Toronto then we can judge Preki. That place is a black hole.

Also, since these posts, Vancouver has interviewed Preki. So, my original point last month was to say Preki was a great MLS player and at least a decent coach. Expect him to get looks from MLS teams.

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, wait, your position a few months ago was that "he's just that good." Is that no longer your position? Was there a sell-by date on that statement?

What Chivas did without him isn't as important as what they did with him. As for Toronto, if an organization is dysfunctional, you get to discount everything because it doesn't help your point? They told him to get out after a year, and he was a jerk while he was there. And no one snapped him up, regardless of who interviewed him.

If he were "just that good," he wouldn't be in D3. If this team weren't in NorCal, he wouldn't even be there.

Chivas declined every year he was there. Toronto told him to get out after a year and paid him for the privilege. Now he is in Sacramento. I am not seeing where he is "just that good."