Predictions

Discussion in 'GROUP B: Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea, Greece' started by Maruti, Dec 4, 2009.

?

Which 2 teams will make it through?

1. Argentina, Nigeria

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Argentina, South Korea

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Argentina, Greece

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Nigeria, South Korea

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Nigeria, Greece

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. South Korea, Greece

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    I just can't see Nigeria and Argentina not making it out... despite them being crap of late. Very beneficial draw for the two sides.

2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I need to study some of these teams more, but this is my first impression.

Argentina has a weakness at coach, but we do have great talent. If the defense holds, and if our stars, especially Messi, play the way they're capable of playing, we will go far.

Nigeria looks like they struggled to qualify, but they have plenty of talent in the top leagues, players like Yobo, Mikel, Martins. Will Yak be able to play? He always seems to be getting injured.

South Korea will be tough, they have some good young players, especially the kid at Bolton, Lee, and of course Park.

Greece I guess is always tough to beat because of their defensive style, and you have to respect any team that qualifies from UEFA. But they probably have the least talent of this group.

I think Argentina has enough talent to win the group, and Nigeria will be able to overpower South Korea and finish second.

3. wolf6656

wolf6656 New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Canada
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Greece plus just about any of the other teams.

This is not a shoo-in for anybody and even Korea can sneak through, but I think Greece is one of the two teams that advances. Likely Argentina based on history, but they will have to pull it together between now and then.

4. Bengoechea

Bengoechea Member

Jul 28, 2005
    São Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    1- Argentina
    2- Greece

5. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    most likely this group is Argentina and Nigeria

If Greece doesn't win their first game v Korea they will have to come and play against Nigeria and not defend(knowing ARG awaits after). In this scenario I think we will handle them easily. If they beat Korea and play defence against us, it could be tough. Korea also has given us troubles at youth level, but in a must win game, I think we take them.

Nigeria has a very good record of making knockout stages in WC's , we've been in the group of death all 3 of our previous tournaments, twice we topped the group, we should advance from this group as long as we aren't too cocky and respect Korea and Greece.

6. DmouthGunner

DmouthGunner Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Argentina
    2. Nigeria

Talent wins out for group supremacy. With the rest of the group pretty even, being on the continent will make a big difference for the Nigerians.

7. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    we have a weak coach as well who likes to play players who suck at the expense of obviously more talented ones. Hopefully he is replaced before the WC, but its looking less likely. By the way I hope Yak stays injured, he sucks, we have much better strikers, but our stupid coach keeps picking him even when he just got off injury and hasn't played for his club, while other strikers who are scoring for their clubs are confined to the bench.

I guess its a good thing we didn't play that friendly a couple of weeks back

8. heyheyhe11

heyheyhe11 Member+

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    hey guys, a proud korean here. just wanna let everyone know that our korean team is very tough with young new talents. i feel very good about our chances getting a spot in the knockout stage

9. kimchipride

kimchipride Member

Real Madrid
    South Korea
    Aug 22, 2006
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think this is a VERY interesting group. No clear winners in my book and although I'll be supporting Korea, it will be difficult for them to advance through the group stage. Many Koreans feel that our team is underestimated and I definitely agree. We'll put on a show that will surprise you guys. ;)

I say Argentina and Korea although Nigeria is the other big concern. We must beat Greece the first day!!!!

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Who are your young new talents? I've seen Lee Chung-Yong at Bolton and he's solid on the wing. Who else?

11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Actually it would have been nice to play the friendly. But now I guess Argentina should play another top African team, like Ghana, Cameroon or Ivory Coast. Which team would you say most resembles Nigeria?

If I were Nigeria I'd book Uruguay. Not as tough as Argentina but similar style. And they should be looking for an African team to match up against.

I don't know about Yak. If healthy he's dangerous.

12. FCShootdori

FCShootdori Red Card

Sep 13, 2009
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Park Chu Young at AS Monaco
    Ki Sung Yong at Celtic FC

Our U-20 World Cup team which made the Quarters in this year's World Cup has many potential NT starters.

Frankly, I wouldn't be so disappointed if we didn't progress to the R16, good learning experience, we should be a formidable side in 2014.

13. braulio

braulio New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Louisiana
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    1. Nigeria
    2. Argentina

14. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I've got agree with kimchipride in his assessment that this group contains no clear cut standout favorites. As much as I know the talent pool Argentina has at it's disposal, nothing about Diego instills confidence and nothing has shown me to expect more that what we've already seen. With that said, I still think we have enough to get to out of the group.

The other teams in our group intrigue me in that all three seem to have different styles and approaches to the game. Of the three I feel Nigeria has the best experienced talent while Greece maybe the more disciplined. South Korea is definitely the wild card, young and with little expectation outside their country.

Four years ago I'd be foaming at the mouth for Argentina to get this group but now I see none of our opening matches being walks in the park. Perhaps something happens with the team over the next almost year that gives me more cockiness.

1. Nigeria
    2. Argentina
    3. Greece
    4. South Korea

15. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    we'd probably be most like Ivory Coast, but we have a much better defence and goalie than they do, but our attack and midfield wouldn't be as good.

16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Park Chu Young is not that young, right? (No pun intended). He was hyped before the last World Cup, as I recall. A talented and unpredictable player but I think a bit of a lightweight.

Ki Sung Yong I heard has a lot of potential. He's another one to watch for.

17. kimchipride

kimchipride Member

Real Madrid
    South Korea
    Aug 22, 2006
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Park Chu Young is currently 24 years of age and during the 2006 period, he had a loss of form. He's been playing with a lot of confidence nowadays and I hear that the Frenchman love him. He's no Messi, but PCY is the only decent striker on our team. If he were to be injured, our offense would be dramatically weakened like we saw in Serbia VS Korea. (1-0) and Denmark Vs Korea (0-0).

Please be easy with him when we play you guys. ;)

Ki Sung Yong holds tremendous potential. Being one of the Korean Blue Dragons (Lee Chung Yong and Ki Sung Yong), I'm interested in how he'll do at Celtic. I'm sure it'll be a valuable learning experience and he'll only improve for the World Cup.

18. mnoh312

mnoh312 New Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think any teams have good chance of advancing,

Greece is one of the worst European teams in the world cup along with Slovakia. But still a decent side, although they never regained any success after Euro 2004.
    Argentina is on a such a shitty form, I don't know which team will show up, but still have enough individual talents to beat any teams.
    Nigeria had tough time in qualifying and I heard they are replacing their coach, because players dont believe in him. Martins is out of form, he only plays throwaway matches and usually on the bench, Yakubu is been out for while cause of injury, I dont know how well he will come back from it.
    Korea has been in decent form and comfortable qualifying and beat decent teams in friendlies, although most them were at home. After Denmark and Serbia friendlies away from home displayed some signs that they can perform outside away from home.

I can kinda see where this is going, Argentina probably fall out again just like in 2002. Its up for grabs for these three teams, but I fancy Nigeria and Korea going through.

19. daraverla

daraverla New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Another Korean-American fan here.

Frankly, before the draw, I had all along wanted to avoid the likes of Spain, Brazil, and Argentina. These teams pose the worst kind of havoc for the Korean NT with their crisp passing game, good organization, and fast -paced attack, just to name a few of their strenghs.

I am sure that some of us Koreans might be "happy" to catch Argentina, a much storied team in the history of soccer, at a bad timing with Maradona at the helm, but please lets not forget about the fact that the same Brazil, which struggled with the regional qualifying eight years ago, literally cake-walked all the way to WC championship in 2002.

In other words, it would be a highly foolish and unsubstantiated presupposition to assume that Argentina team will show up for the main event in the same form we have witnessed in the past six months or so.

I hate to use an analogy or even refer to other sports to make this point, but how often have we seen a mediocre regular season NBA team (re: Houston, Lakers, San Antonio) that literally rise to occasion and wipe out all the opponents during the playoff?

Great teams know how to respond, and to say Argentina is just a great team is itself an absurd understatement.

True, we dont have to fear them, but to say that we will beat them is sheerly unfounded.

Back in 2003, when Argentina came to Korea for a friendly after a match with Japan (4-nil for Argentina victory), we lost to Argentina in the score of 1-0, to which many Koreans rejoiced for a moral victory.

But if anyone had watched the game closely, we basically played 9-back deep into our territory for the most of game, with one lonely and helpless forward standing in the middle line for any chance of counterattacks.

If I take a shot at how the game will unfold for KOrea for a dance with Argentina, I think we will, rightly, focus on stopping Messi, a tactic that will prove to be successful, because everyone in the stadium will know that the offense of Argentina will start at the foot of Messi. We will probably use every available tactics imaginable out there to fully stop Messi. We can do so not because we can "control or defend" Messi, but because Korea will inevitably do everything to stop Messi from having a ball with spacious room to roam.

Which leaves Tavez uninhibited, untouched, freely roaming maniac that will cut through the hearts of the Korean defense.

In my opinion (I am sure I am not the only one who thinks this way), Tavez is the key. He holds the wild card to the game, and given the circumstance, there is a good chance that while we may guard tight against Messi catching a ball, we may easily give up a lot of room for Tavaz to roam and freelance through the defense.

I really dont see a way Korean can score a legitmate goal against Argentina. True, their right? or left wing might be a question mark, but a simple dribbling to the corner and trying that floated cross wont do any good, as illustrated by so many games Korea played this year and last year.

We need to unlock the trove of opportunities by trying to gain as many set-piece opportunities as we could.

Traditionally, the number of cornerkicks Korea gets outnumber, if not double, the number of cornerkicks the opponents receive, and I see the same thing in this match.

We need to create as many opportunities (via freekicks, cornerkicks, highkicks, low-blows, etc), and we need to capitalize on these few precious opportunities by sending every Kims, Lees, Parks to the frontier of the Argentina goal post.

In terms of the ball possession, I expect 65:45 in Argentina favor.

I just dont see how in the earth we are going to get back a ball once Argentina has it.

This was one critical factor in my nightmare of having a matchup problem against Argentina.

In order for Korea to be successful, Korea needs to have a ball in their possession. It is not a must or mandatory, but the history shows that we need to keep the ball among us to have any chance.

But in all likelihood, I see a devastated and unfair ping-pong match in this game. Trapped in the ping-pong match against the good passing team of Argentina, we will follow the pace of game, instead of dictating it.

The only chance against Argentina will be to duplicate the efforts shown by Korea in the first half of 2002 WC Group final game against Portugal.

Some of your guys should download this game, again, to fully experience the historical moment, as the first half (not the second half during which Park scored the winning goal) even before the ejection of one Portugal player, is the BEST HALF GAME SHOWN BY KOREAN NT IN THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF KOREAN SOCCER CIVILIZATION!
    I was really shocked and appalled at the fact that many of the Portugal players were caught shocked and appalled at the speed at which the Korean team was playing during the first half. Many of more experienced Portugal players were seen lost, trying to gain any sense amidst the tap dancing blazing Korean team brought to the first half.

My prediction

Korea Argentina
    Ball Possession 45:65
    Shots 5: 12
    Shots on Goal 2: 7
    Corner Kicks 10: 4
    Fouls 12:13
    Yellow who cares...

0-1 Argentina Victory. (The score may not show the dominance)

or if we get lucky.

0-0 (SEE: the match against France in 2006)

NEXT: Nigeria Review

1 person likes this.
  20. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Martins out of form? He has been injured a lot, but when he's played he has been phenomenal for Wolfsburg so far. He has 5 goals despite starting in just 5 matches and coming off the bench in the remaining 5. The only reason why he hasn't been playing that much is because he has had a constant injury issue with his shin and couldn't play more.

That said Nigeria's best player is Odemwingie.

21. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

You have it all wrong: South Korea is going to have 6 corners, and Argentina 7. Get it right, geez! :D

In all seriousness, interesting review. Thanks for posting it!

22. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    For Korea to advance to the knockout stage, we really need everyone staying healthy. In terms of overall raw talent, Korea is the weakest team in this group, imo.

23. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Argentina will go through, that seems pretty much certain. Between the other 3, who knows, they all seem pretty unimpressive.

24. HwaRang

HwaRang Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    That adds to 110.

25. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If we bring our A+ game, then there is no way on hell we can't claim 9 points.