Predictions?

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portuga' started by leonidas, Dec 4, 2009.

1. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Well, Brazil get its toughest group in some time. But I don't think that it is any harder (at least for us) when you compare to some of the other tough groups -- Group A, B, and D for example.

I think the talking heads on ESPN get lost and only look at the names themselves as opposed to focusing on how the teams play, generally.

The group could come down to goals scored and goal differential -- who scores the most against North Korea.

It's hard to say who has the advantage. For Brazil, we have to make the most of it. That means really put on a show against North Korea in our first game. For Ivory Coast and Portugal, well, don't lose.

As a Brazilian, it's a tough group for sure. But I'm pretty confident. Portugal's style of play suits us (look at the latest friendly) -- and Portugal are probably not as good as they were a year ago. Honestly, I probably fear the Ivory Coast the most. And for them, well, it's unfortunate that they get stuck in yet another tough group

2. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    I really think Brasil should not worry. Portugal has nothing against them. Cote d'Ivoire probably also not.

The key game will be Cote d'Ivoire-Portugal in the first round. Whoever wins that one should go through, as winning with North Korea is almost a given. A draw would complicate the group a lot and whoever can get anything out of their Brasil game will qualify.

I can't see Brasil losing not winning two games in the group so for me they are safe.

3. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think Brazil and Portugal will advance.

4. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    If I were you I wouldn't bet on it.

5. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The way I see this, is every one will be saying Portugal are on the slide and brazil and ivory cost going to be the favourites. That’s when we are more dangerous AS WE ALWAYS PROVED we have a good team whom on its day can beat any one and we always perform against the best teams.
    Don’t forget they will not be looking forward to play us.

6. Bengoechea

Bengoechea Member

Jul 28, 2005
    São Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    1- Portugal
    2- Brazil

7. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    the toughest group i've seen in WC(the fiest one i watched was usa 94) was te 2002 group made by ARG, ENG, SWE and NIG........

this one is tough, but cmon north korea should better be playing the WC of nuclear weapsons with ...... iran , india , china and pakistan

8. DmouthGunner

DmouthGunner Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil are a given to advance...Cote d'Ivoire have the talent to go very deep in the tournament. Playing on their home continent will be a huge advantage for them. They could even sneak out of the group with the top spot...Portugal, like France and Argentina, will be limited by their ineffective coaches. All have great talent, but all three will under-perform. France and Argentina are lucky to have easier groups and should advance. Portugal weren't that lucky.

9. wolf6656

wolf6656 New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Canada
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This is sweet!
    Imagine Portugal and Cote d'Ivoire going on and Brazil missing out!
    It could happen. Not likely in ANYONE'S imagination, but.........
    Swwwwweeeet Daddy I wanted Portugal and Brazil together! This will be a game for the ages. If the Portuguese can control their emotions, this can be one of the greatest games in history, win or lose!
    Especially with a third party team like Cote d'Ivoire!
    This group will be great fun if all teams are up to full form.

10. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    This is certainly a difficult group, and I didn't want the Ivory Coast given their considerable talent.

However, we shouldn't be afraid. There is no one team in the non-seeded pots who WANTED Brazil. No team ever does.

Brazil and... well, of course, IC or Portugal.

11. M.O.T

M.O.T Member

May 9, 2008
    I would say this group essentially comes down to Ivory Coast vs Portugal. Both of these teams are highly offensive so I think the chances of a draw aren't that good. Whoever wins this game advances, along with Brazil.

If they tie, then it will come down to who can
    1) get all 3 points from North Korea. (I doubt Ivory Coast will loose against N. Kore simply because their physical aggressive style of play is something that N.Korea will not be able to handle whereas they could possibly handle Portugal)
    2) take some points from Brazil. (I think Ivory Coast are more capable here simply because skill wise Brazil won't be beat)
    3) Score the most goals. (I would say Portugal could light it up against North Korea)

My prediction.
    1) Brazil
    2) Ivory Coast (I would say they have an edge against Portugal. Ivory coast must "not loose" this game, while portugal must win it..imo)
    3) Portugal (I think it'll will come down to the last game against Brazil. Hopefully Ivory Coast has put enough pressure on Brazil that they won't rest players and play properly..)
    4) North Korea (Hopefully they get lucky and get something off of Portugal and a couple decent goals)

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I predict that this group will give us some epic matches. It certainly has more than it's share of superstars. It will be good to be able to enjoy it without having a dog in the fight.

My first impression is that Brazil will win it and Ivory Coast will edge Portugal for second place.

The first match between Ivory Coast and Portugal is the key, of course. A draw will make the group wide open, but I expect both teams to go for the win. Whoever loses will have to risk everything when they play Brazil, and you don't want to face Brazil in a must-win situation.

I'm intrigued by North Korea. We know nothing about their players, but they got past the likes of Iran and Saudi Arabia by playing an ultra-defensive game. We all take for granted that they will lose all three matches, and they should, due to their lack of experience against clubs from outside Asia. But they will play not to lose, and if they manage to get a draw against somebody, it might very well decide the group.

13. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think at least one of the 3 teams are going to draw them. I support North Korea all the way though since they are the giant underdog. They will ultimately decide who advances. North Korea's formation is 5 - 4 - 1. So it's going to be tough to score.

1. Brazil 7 Beats North Korea and Portugal
    2. Ivory Coast 5 Draws Portugal and Brazil and Beats North korea
    3. Portugal 5 Loses to Brazil Draws Ivory coast and North Korea
    4. North Korea 1 Draws Portugal.

14. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It's about who can score more goals on the North Koreans. It will come down to goal differential considering the possibility of Korea DPR losing all of their group matches is very high.

15. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Good thing you aren't me.

16. ronaldo99

ronaldo99 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    More likely it will go down to head to head record.

17. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If the last game between Portugal and Brazil is do-or-die for both teams it could be one for the ages.

My prediction, though is:
    1-Brazil
    2-Portugal

18. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    the english press are really smug they are all laughing at Portugal saying that we will not make it out of the group.
    we are more dangerous when every one is putting us down

19. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The English popular press are the scum of the Earth. The quotes there just show our players and coach respecting their opponents. Go see how the same press as been treating their draw as a red carpet to the last 16. They never learn.

Disclaimer: This has nothing to do with the English in general, just their press who is always trying to fan the flames for a few quid.

20. wolf6656

wolf6656 New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Canada
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    While I would obviously like Portugal to go through, I think that an opening draw with Cote d'Ivoire would make this group a real cliffhanger. Then it would come down to taking a point off Brazil or goal differential over the apparently stingy North Koreans.
    If also, Brazil manages to beat Cote d'Ivoire in the second game, and if the Koreans haven't got a result in the first two games then I don't fancy Cote d'Ivoire's chances of getting through the parked double-decker-super-bus on the last match day.
    Portugal might then steal a point off the coasting Brazilians.
    This will be my favorite group to watch if Portugal and Cote d'Ivoire draw on day 1.

21. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    I guess the more I think about it -- Brazil does have the advantage by starting off against North Korea. While North Korea should be a bunker team -- it still allows Dunga another test of our team -- of course we still have to score the requisite number of goals in case it comes down to GD or GS. In addition, our first two matches are in Jo'burg -- so less travelling -- not to mention the fact that we should be well adapted by the first game to the 1,700meter altitude. The final game will be in Durban on the coast -- so the less travel and improved lungs might give us a physical advantage.

Look at a team like Portugal -- they have to go from Port Elizabeth in the coast -- more or less in the middle -- all the way to Cape Town on the south western tip --- then all the way back along the coast to Durban -- that's a lot of travelling.

22. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    i do belive SA have airplanes, dont see the traveling a hassel or a problem

23. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    just love Queiroz reply to dunga
    http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/finaldraw/news/newsid=1143994.html#dunga+its+group+death

24. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You know, when Dunga said Brazil A and Brazil B it was about styles (or at least that's what he said it was about). People are making too much of that statement.

25. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    true. but that travel (whether it's 3 hour flight) still takes away a lot of meaningful preparation time --- and you need all the time you can get when you're dealing with national teams who are only used to playing with each other every few months -- and when you only have 4 days to prepare for your next opponent. it's just another factor. that's all.