Predictions: USA will feel the heat!

Discussion in 'Knockout Rounds' started by UNC4EVER, Aug 9, 2008.

1. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    With a couple games played, I bet the knockouts will look like this:

E: Canada, China, Sweden
    F: Brazil, GDR, N Korea
    G: Norway, USA

So if I've got the chart right, we first face Brazil, then the winner of China/Germany-- from the group of sleep into the valley of death!! Yikes!

It is incredible how much damage we did to ourselves by coming out flat against Norway. This is a good week to be Canadian. That side of the bracket looks like a much easier trip to the medals. I wish we could be there!

I continue to think that if the USA shows up, we can beat Brazil! Go USA! But after watching the Germany-Nigeria game, I don't see how we can earn a win against Germany. Even when they are off, they are better. By any metric (except keeper skill- and Angerer is great!) they are the stronger team. We will need angels on our shoulders to get by. If we should win, then I think we will be so jazzed the gold will surely be ours. Best of luck! However, I think it is more likely that we will struggle to squeek by Brazil to face Canada or N Korea for the bronze....:( We'll see....

2. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    GDR? Did you go to school in Brandenburg? ^^

3. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i think if we show up we can beat them both!!

i have no evidence for this 'cause we've been playing like crap.

but my support for the uswnt cannot be extinguished!

4. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Wow, :eek:-- I have no idea what I was thinking when I typed that. Clearly, not much. Complete brain freeze. Obviously I was thinking Germany (BD). Regrets.

5. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    It's BRD (Bundesrepublik Deutschland).

6. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Thanks. Actually, I think BRD is discouraged, and to be correct I probably should not have abreviated Bundesrepublik Deutschland (BD) either. I think FRG is what we are both looking for. But before I offend anyone further, I think i'll cut my losses, stick to my own language, and call them Germany from here on in. Sorry to have created this distraction. Whatever we call them, they are going to hard to beat.

7. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    No prob. FRG is English for BRD, is all.

8. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I doubt that anyone here was offended. At least I wasn't. hrhr

It just fit with reports in the news in Germany over the last couple of weeks that a large percentage of German youths, particularly from Brandenburg, has an pretty contorted (rosy) image of the GDR.

9. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    The US has an easier path to the final, IMO. They play Canada, then if they win, face the China-Japan winner. The other semi would be the Brazil/Norway winner vs. the Germany/Sweden survivor. Japan really did us a major-league favor.

10. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.fifa.com/womensolympic/matches/index.html

Looking at this bracket, the US can't have it any easier. Not that China, Canada, or Japan are easy. The US could very well go out against Canada, especially since Wambach and co. are missing.

We can just hope that US is able to step it up a notch or three, and hope that the teams on the other side of the bracket destroy each other and whomever makes to the final goes in there limping.

11. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    The US has played Canada very well in several friendlies in 2008 and we are the odds-on favorite against all others, til the final. The trick was to win the group of sleep (against all odds-- after our first loss-- we did!) After that, we get an "easy track" to the gold metal match. All the teams in this year's Oly. are bringing it, but now, thanks to Japan, we have the easiest path to gold of any highly seeded team.

Time for the gals to step it up!

I am amazed and happy we got this group result! Now we really need to focus! From here on in, it is time to make our own luck!

I am so happy to have been so WRONG :D !! I never dreamed we could salvage group. GO USA!

12. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

FYPs.

Not that i'm bitter.

13. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    but we're playing so poorly!

so true, so true.

14. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I would bring up the old adage of counting chickens before they hatch. Canada has played US pretty tight 2 of the last 3 (going to PK's in the actual Olympic qualifying and a 90th minute 1-0 loss in the Peace Cup). That was with Wambach leading the charge.
    The Cdn team were not so motivated yesterday, as their coach. for reasons known only to him, gave the girls the news that they were through to the knockout round before the Sweden match got underway. Sweden were desperate for a result and they got it.
    The Cdn women are pumped for this game.
    Melissa Tancredi, asked about meeting the USA on Friday by CBC in an on-field interview at the end of the Sweden game: "Bring it!!"
    Christine Sinclair, from the FIFA site: "We have played the Americans so many times, and they always manage to beat us in the important matches. But they have some injury problems right now so this could be our time."
    Candace Chapman from the FIFA site: Meeting the US at the Olympics is awesome for us. We'll give it everything to get a result off them."

Should be a great match for North American honours.

15. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California

*sees soccer fairy godmother hoovering over BS: (click on link to reveal.....:D)

voilà :D

16. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Wow, Superstriker, pretty cool. I'll keep you in mind for next time i have a really big wish. :D

17. PalmyBeach27

PalmyBeach27 New Member

Sep 20, 2007
    USA will shake, rattle and ROLL over Canada.