Predictions for the 2008 season

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by ravenrooney, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus Crew will have a big year as will the Galaxy and Chivas.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colorado with big issues on defense? How do you figure? We look to line up across the back as Ihemelu - Erpen - Petke - Burciaga Jr. with Bouna Time! in nets and Mastroeni playing the destroyer in front.. We did pretty well last year when we had the likes of Dan Gargan and Brandon Prideaux in the starting 11 on a regular basis.

Now on offense we're a mess I'll grant you.

3. Reds YNWA

Reds YNWA New Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Burlington
    1) D.C.
    2) Chicago
    3) NE
    4) NYRB

West:
    1) Chivas
    2) Houston
    3) Dallas
    4) TFC (moving from east)

Playoffs:
    DC over NYRB
    Chicago over NE
    TFC over Chivas
    Houston over Dallas

DC over Chicago
    Houston over TFC

DC over Houston

4. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Depth and talent-wise, he's one of your top 14 or so players. He's "key" in that he's one of the players who will be expected to get serious playing time as a sub and fill in as a starter on occasion. I can't say that I rate him that highly, but Yallop must as he has brought in no one that would push him farther down the pecking order.

5. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    It depends on how you rate certain players. I don't think Petke or Erpen are all that stellar. Maybe they work better in a four-man backline and have found solutions to their deficiencies (Petke's lack of speed, Erpen's brainfarts), but I'm not convinced of that. Nor do I rate Bouna Coundul that highly; I can think of at least five goalkeepers that started last year that I would rather have on my team in MLS, and a couple of backups as well. Burciaga's known for his offensive skill rather than his defense and for good reason (he doesn't use it or show it that often). And Pablo was on the trading block for most of the offseason, which tells me that Clavijo isn't that enamored with him.

But that's JMO.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes well apparently you're insane. ;)

Bouna was in the top 3 of almost all the goalkeeping stats last year and is clearly in the top half of MLS keepers, and he's only been a pro for two years, a starter for one.

7. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    East
    1) NE - SS
    2) DC - Miss SS by a hair
    3) NY
    4) Chicago
    5) TFC
    6) Columbus
    7) KC - Loosing EJ hurts

West
    1) Chivas - 3rd Overall
    2) Houston
    3) FCD
    4) RSL
    5) Colo
    6) LAG
    7) SJ

Assuming its Top 4 from each conference for playoffs...

East
    NE over Chicago
    DC over NY in a very physical match-up

West
    Chivas over RSL...just barely. RSL is the surprise kid
    Hou over FCD...expect more of the same when these two go at it

ECC
    DC over NE...the streak is broken...finally :p

WCC
    Chivas over Hou...I'd love to say we make it 3 in a row but Chivas is a ***** to beat at home, and look to be so this year again.

MLSC
    Chivas v DC

If Chivas still has Guzano, they win a 1-0 game. If they don't, they loose 2-1 to DC

8. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    And yet his positioning and decision-making mean more to me. He reminds me of Rimando, which is hardly a good thing.

And clearly in the top half? A short list of who I would rather have ahead of him:

Cannon, Reis, Perkins, Onstad, Guzan, Pickens, Wells, and possibly Hartman and Seitz

So that's 9 right there. Yeah, his stats were great, but I've seen enough of his play to not want him on my team.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll give you Cannon, Reis, Onstad, and Guzan without a fight (Though I do think Cannon is on the downslope of his career). The others though, are you serious?

Goals Against Average:
    Bouna 1.08
    Perkins 1.1
    Pickens 1.15
    Hartman 1.5
    Seitz (based on 3 games): 2.67
    Wells (based on 4 games): .32

Saves/shots faced/Save %
    Bouna 120/152/78.9%
    Perkins 117/149/78.5%
    Pickens 102/133/76.7%
    Hartman 110/155/71.0%
    Seitz: 6/14/42.8%
    Wells: 8/9/88.9%

Shutouts
    Bouna 9
    Perkins 8
    Pickens 10
    Hartman 5
    Seitz 0
    Wells 2

Not only that, but the flaws you point out in Bouna's game, which I admit are there, are the exact flaws that can be reduced with training of a young keeper.

And while Bouna does go walkabout far too often he really never got burned by it last season.

I'm not arguing that Bouna is the best keeper in the league, but really, reserves than are better than him? There isn't much there to back that up.

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW this subject came up just a couple of weeks ago in N&A. Here's the link. Oddly enough with the exception of one Crew fan it was also DC fans who were panning Bouna in the last thread. I know you're upset that you guys can never win in Denver, but take the blinders off. ;)

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=655366

11. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Terrific! Only one change, Nicol will be watching the MLS Cup on television.

12. teddy_montoya

teddy_montoya RapidsThugLife

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapids had the 3rd best backline in the MLS, with some pretty decent players. This year we are improved and have a much better mid than all of last year. Pablo adds to our already stingy defense. I think we only allowed 30/31 goals last year, Bouna had a large part of that.

Sure Bouna has his flaws, but it all can be fixed with some coaching. I think Pablo was the one who asked to be put on, and then asked to be removed ( the trading block that is). When your team gets one of the better A-mids and has one of the better D-mids, toped with one of the best defenses in the league, I really think we can make a run for things. Our offense is our only question mark, and its a pretty big one. But hopefully we can get the Brazilian Reinaldo, and hopefully he can add to our attack.

My predictions follow:

East
    1. D.C.
    2. Chicago
    3. NYRB
    4. New England

West
    1. Chivas
    2. Houston
    3. Colorado
    4. FCD

East

DC finally beats NE
    JP Angel beats Chicago

West
    Chivas over FCD
    Colorado over Houston

WCC
    Colorado over Chivas: There defense will pay off, and win a 1-0 game. Because thats all they can score.

ECC
    NYRB over DC: Don't ask me why, I just think that the RB may want it more than DC.

MLS Cup:

Colorado vs NYRB: result ????????????

13. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The Galaxy is going to suck. Razor thin talent in depth will crush us. :mad:

Our starting XI will be formidable. But beyond that... not so much. And you can't win off just a starting XI.

14. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They have barely 14 players signed, so that's a given.

15. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Which is why I made the point ;)

If there's no one being signed to push him to the end of the bench, then Yallop has determined that he's important enough to keep around.

16. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    It's probably because I have flashbacks of him coming in as a sub against us and letting in a fairly easy shot.

My opinion of him is just that: an opinion. He can have the best stats in the league, but I've seen enough of him that I don't rate him as one of the premier keepers in the league. Your opinion is obviously different. However, using a GAA where the decimal points vary by .02 or .07 amounts to a couple of goals over the course of a season. In some games (say a 4-1 or 3-1 game) that extra goal allowed really doesn't make a difference in the end result. The same is true of the save percentage; Perkins faced 3 less shots and let in three less goals, so he ranks below Condoul, which proves what? Do you honestly think that Condoul was better than Perkins last year? Do the stats really prove that?

As for the comment on reserve goalkeepers being better (well, Wells was the only one I was adamant about), I'll stand by it. Wells has shown himself to be a quality keeper when given the opportunity. The problem is that he backed up the best goalkeeper in the league for the past few seasons. It's hard to stand out when you have that kind of player in front of you on the roster. This season is his chance to prove himself for an entire season's worth of games, and I expect him to do well. Again, YMMV, but the stats (for what they are) show that he is, at the very least, a competent player for his position.

17. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They have about 80 players on trial at the moment. Yallop is not content.

18. Dr Feelgood

Dr Feelgood New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is the mls keeping its playoff format from 2007 with top 2 seeds from each conf. make the playoffs then its the next 4 best teams no matter which side they play on?

19. Dr Feelgood

Dr Feelgood New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just curios since i'm seeing lot of 4 and 4 in the predictions instead the more likely uneveness.

20. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching the back line in the disaster in Hawai'i the other night I have to agree with you. Vanney is just plain awful. You better hope that some of those young kids step up and really win time away from the aging, slipping players.

21. teddy_montoya

teddy_montoya RapidsThugLife

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me the LAG have one of the WORST team of all the MLS. I really want this to to be good. Because it could mean HUGE things for the MLS, but since they lack depth I really don't think they can compete. Don't get me wrong they have a few good players; Donovan, Xavier, Beckham, Ruiz, but those guys aren't the answer to win games....

22. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

That's not what the MLS website says:

Could be wrong, remembering last year.

23. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    It is to early for prediction, if teams like New York can get they hands in a Good Central and Left Defenders and a Play Maker, the Red Bulls will be at the doors where they keep the MLS CUP...

24. Dr Feelgood

Dr Feelgood New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

eh i was close but no cigar

25. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It's probably going to be effectively the same. The only way it wouldn't is if the 6th best team in one conference is better than the 3rd best team in the other conference.

Ex. Overall standings.

1. E1
    2. W1
    3. E2
    4. W2
    5. W3
    6. W4
    7. W5
    8. W6
    9. E3

Under the 2008 rules the E3 team would still make the playoffs while under the 2007 rules they would not have.