Prediction Time: Who Makes The World Cup From The Jan Camp?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by cpwilson80, Dec 20, 2005.

1. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's assume that anybody who was not called into this camp that's based in the US is out of the picture for 2006. Who do you think (not who do you hope) will make it to Germany from this camp?

My picks:

The obvious
    Donovan
    Johnson
    Mastroeni

Donovan and Johnson are automatic starters at full health, and Mastroeni is potentially a starter based on O'Brien's health and tactics.

The veterans
    Pope
    Wolff

Both are experienced veterans who will understand their roles as backups and can play well in Arena's system for 20-30 minutes a game.

The new blood
    Clark
    Ching
    Dempsey

Clark is a well-rounded center mid who could act as an offensive or defensive sub in the middle of the field. Ching gets the nod as the 4th forward as he returns to form in this camp/early MLS and does a better job playing McBride than does Twellman. Dempsey beats out Adu as the "make something happen" late-game sub.

Here is the rest of my roster:
    GK -- Keller, Howard, Hahnemann
    DEF -- Onyewu, Cherundolo, Gibbs, Berhalter, Bocanegra, Spector, Lewis
    MID -- Reyna, O'Brien, Beasley, Convey
    FOR -- McBride

Just missing out from this camp were:
    Hejduk/Albright -- I couldn't see where they fit in a crowded backfield
    Quaranta/Ralston -- In the World Cup, I think we bump Reyna out to the right before starting either of the two
    Twellman/Adu -- I think these are borderline attacking options

2. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Interesting idea for a thread.

I'm not saying he won't or he can't, but it's going to take some doing for Spector to displace both Albright and Hejduk.

Not that I agree, but I Bruce taking Carroll ahead of Clark at this time, anyway.

Pope and Berhalter? Possibly, but Steady Eddie's got a lot still to prove. If he can stay uninjured, he's a tough competitor to bet against.

3. strawberryfields

strawberryfields Red Card

Dec 13, 2005
    Oak bluff way.
    i think this is what BA has in mind for the opening match vs Szech Rep.

....................................Keller

Cherundolo .........Onjewu...........Belhalter............C. Gibb.

this is the best formation for US.

4. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    I agree with the vets and the obvious. I think Pope will be there. I reserve the right to change my mind on that after seeing him in a spring friendly, though. I think that Pearce and Pope are fighting for that last defensive spot, and if Pearce can win the left back spot (very possible), then Bocanegra becomes a full time CB or CB backup and Pope is left off, IMO.

For the new blood, I think Clark has a lot to prove. For me, his passing and vision is particularly poor for a dmid. All he really has is athleticism, a decent shot, and he's pretty good defensively. He's far far far better than Zavagnin, and probably on par with or a little better than Armas. But I'd be pretty disappointed if the Clark I am familiar with actually plays at all in the WC. He needs to mature and play at a higher level to learn how to pass the ball under high pressure.

And I also think that either Rolfe or Adu will make a run and push Dempsey off the roster. I agree Ching will make the roster as a backup target forward. I think Ching is a better USMNT fit than Twellman. It will be close, though.

5. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the forgotten man here might be Jimmy Conrad...

Remember, he showed very well in the Gold Cup (despite missing that sitter against Panama) and was one of the players on the bench against Mexico in Cbus...

I think he has a real shot of making this roster...more so if Pope continues to age.

6. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Someone touched on this in another thread, but the way I see it, there are 7 spots open right now (assuming guys stay healthy which won't happen obviously):

(in rough order of how I think these guys stack up in Arena's eyes at the moment)

1. 4th CB - Berhalter vs. Pope vs. Marshall vs. Conrad

2. 2-footed wingback - Hejduk vs. Albright (vs. Pearce if he has a right foot)

3. Utility defender - Albright vs. Spector

4. Right mid - Quaranta vs. Ralston vs. Mapp vs. Noonan vs. Albright

5. Central/defensive mid - Dempsey vs. Clark vs. Olsen vs. Martino vs. Carroll

6. Speedy forward - Wolff vs. Rolfe vs. Gomez vs. Cunningham vs. Adu vs. Twellman

7. Target forward - Ching vs. Twellman vs. Jaqua

A few caveats: First, as we all know, O'Brien likely won't be healthy so you can expect us to take 2 guys from that central mid list, my guess being Dempsey and Clark. Second, if none of the candidates for the backup target forward spot stand out, it's possible that we could take 2 speedy strikers as backups and use Johnson as the target man when McBride is not in the lineup, although I'm not sure how likely this is as while Johnson certainly has the physical tools to play the target man role, I don't think he's nearly as effective as that as he is as a goal poacher.

7. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Eddie Johnson-F
    Chris Rolfe-F
    Ricardo Clark-DM
    Pablo Mastroeni-DM
    Landon Donovan-F
    Freddy Adu-RM
    Heath Pearce-LB
    Chris Albright-RB

Final Roster:

F: Eddie Johnson, Landon Donovan, Chris Rolfe, Brian McBride, Herculez
    Gomez*

M: Claudio Reyna, Bobby Convey, Pablo Mastroeni, Ricardo Clark,
    Freddy Adu, DeMarcus Beasley, John O'brien

D: Heath Pearce, Eddie Lewis, Gibbs, Gooch, Berhalter, Bocanegra,
    Albright, Cherundolo

* = if Wolff is in EPL making way for Herc to get into camp.

8. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Chris Albright can make a roster spot for himself right now. He plays as right full back , but has been getting forward lately as a right midfielder with the Galaxy. He's been called up a few times with the national team and played well in my opinion . I think he could push for a 2006 spot.

9. Elliott

Elliott Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Someone fill me in about Pope; I can't imagine he doesn't make the roster .. he has a better than 50% chance of starting in my opinion.

I didn't see a lot of RSL last year, has he really fallen so far?

10. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only three are automatic, being Johnson, Donovan, and Mastroeni. With that said, Dempsey or Clark will go but not both. As I mentioned in another thread, both are versitile but there's a reason for it. Dempsey seems to get moved around to cover up some weaknesses, thus looking uncomfortable at times. Clark can be moved around to show flexibility in a formation and appears comfortable wherever he plays. Offensively, in my eyes, little seperates the two. However, Clark is more sure footed on the tackle and appears to be more under control with the ball at his feet, making him a better option.

11. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    Dude, if you're gonna "borrow" my idea, how about throw a little rep this way?

12. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Hasn't played well since the fainting spell about 2 yrs ago. Won't start over
    Gibbs, Gooch, Bocanegra, or Berhalter.

13. ChangeT

ChangeT Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Chicago
    Donovan, GAM, Mastro

Santino
    Hejduk
    Wolff
    Clark
    Ching

Dempsey if JOB doesn't make it.

14. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd pick Twellman over Ching, it just seems like BA has more confidence in him , and over the last season Twellman has showed he can create more chances and be stronger in the air. I also would hope to see Albright over Hejduk. Hejduk is getting a little old , hes still a great player, but Chris is starting to get into his form , but i dont know . I really hope tino and josh make the squad.

15. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    If this camp won't be an utter dog fight, I will be disappointed with the personnel not understanding their opportunity.

We can be generous but there are really 2 or 3 spots open.

battles to watch:

Rolfe vs Wolff

Ching vs Twellman

Ralston vs everyone.

16. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Defense:

In my opinion, it boils down to Spector/Albright/Hedjuk.

Spector seems to have more of an upside, career-wise, and oftentimes in these situations, when it comes down to picking btw players that really won't get that much pt, age has a lot to do w/ the equation.

Our roster has enough vets that we won't necessarily need another, per se, w/ Hedjuk. So Spector's versatility and age (as an investment in future WCs) will give him the edge over the other two. Btw Albright and Hedj, Albright is coming on strong and really learning the position. He showed great leadership skills late season w/ the Galaxy, which proved important.

Albright and Spector for the final 2 defense spots.

17. st ryma 7

st ryma 7 Member

Dec 23, 2004
    the south bay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i just hope mapp goes in ralstons spot, his speed coming off the bench to spark some offense would be a shot of adrenline for this team

18. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    If there are only 2-3 spots open then that means 20-21 guys are locks...I only count 16 locks:

GK - Keller, Howard, Hahnemann
    D - Gooch, Gibbs, Bocanegra, Cherundolo, Lewis
    MF - O'Brien, Reyna, Donovan, Beasley, Mastro, Convey
    F - Johnson, McBride

And that's if O'Brien is healthy (and counting Convey as a lock, which I'm not 100% convinced he is--98%, sure, but not 100%). What other 4-5 guys aside from the ones listed above do you see as locks??

19. UChicagoSoccer

UChicagoSoccer New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Good call. According to Myernick, you're right...

But really, what does he know, he's only the assistant coach. :rolleyes:

20. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    In fact I'd say we're looking for 8-9 guys since you figure O'Brien and probably 1 other will be hurt come June.

21. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    Here's the Euros
    1. Keller
    2. Reyna
    3. JOB (if healthy)
    4. Dolo
    5. Gooch
    6. Gibbs (if healthy)
    7. Lewis
    8. Boca
    9. Beerholder
    10. Beasly
    11. Convey
    12. Howard
    13. Hahnneman
    14. BMB
    15? Spector?

State locks:
    LD
    EJ
    Pablo

Have to suck hard to be taken off:
    Albright
    Ralston

Built equity with BA through the WCQ:

Conrad
    Pope
    Wolff
    Santino
    Dempsey

remind everyone this is based from BA comments and his starting pattern from this past year.

22. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    OK, here's my 23:

1. Landon Donovan
    2. Kasey Keller
    3. DaMarcus Beasley
    4. Brian McBride
    5. Carlos Bocanegra
    6. Oguchi Onyewu
    7. Eddie Pope
    8. Claudio Reyna
    9. Eddie Lewis
    10. Frankie Hedjuk
    11. Pablo Mastroeni
    12. Steve Cherundolo
    13. Steve Ralston
    14. Cory Gibbs
    15. Bobby Convey
    16. Gregg Berhalter
    17. Ed Johnson
    18. Chris Albright
    19. Brian Ching
    20. Josh Wolff
    21. Clint Dempsey
    22. Tim Howard
    23. Marcus Hahnemann

That's 13 euros and 10 from this group.

23. after_the_fall

after_the_fall New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    The obvious: Donovan, Mastro, EJ

Will be coming but im not happy about it:

Pope, Bruce seems to already have his mind made up about this one despite it probably not being in the interests of our team. I'd love for him to prove me wrong but theres something Agoos-esque about it Im thinking.

Right mid: Ralston, Quaranta. They suck, but are on Arena's good side

Who's the favorite now, and who I hope uproots them:

4th forward: Josh Wolfe, but Im pulling for Rolfe to explode onto the scene EJ style

X-factor: Dempsey, while seems to be in the right place at the right time is unorganized and sporratic and seems to have alot of luck. I hope Adu takes that spot as he can play more positions and is more dynamic of a player overall than Dempsey.

ultimately, of the 23, heres my roster:

GK: Keller, Hahnemann, Howard

D: Onyewu, Cherundolo, Gibbs, Berhalter, Lewis, Bocanegra, Pope, Spector

Mid: Mastroeni*, Reyna, Beasley, Convey, Ralston*, Quaranta*, O'brien, Adu*

FW: Donovan*, McBride, EJ*, Rolfe*

24. Soccer_Lancer

Soccer_Lancer Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Striker: McBride, Johnson
    Forward: Donovan, Wolfe
    L Wing: Beasley, Convey
    R Wing: Ralston, Quaranta
    D Mid: Reyna, O'Brian, Mastroeni, (Carroll/Olsen)
    L Back: Lewis, (Spector/Pearce/Dunivant)
    R Back: Cherundolo, Albright
    C Back: Onyewu, Gibbs, Bocanegra, Berhalter

The only person that I think could throw a wrench into this is Justin Mapp.

25. Yankee_Devil

Yankee_Devil Member

Nov 13, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Rolfe
    Adu
    Albright
    Quaranta
    Johnson

Rolfe will defenatly raise some eyebrows. I could even see him stealing EJs spot as the top forward prospect on this WC.