Predicting the 2023 WWC roster

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Sep 9, 2022.

1. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Frankly, I think anyone who refuses to get vaccinated should be left off the team.

ytrs and Bob Lamm repped this.
  2. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    minus the vac argument, with so many current top USWNT out (Macario, Ertz, Dunn, Mewis, Davidson) the one thing that Vlatko’s got left is the prolonged, double wide attack of Pugh & Smith, which is still arguably the best in the business. Taking away Pugh, I don’t fancy our chances in our upcoming friendlies with England & Spain.
    The only other revenue of attack—-Lavelle’s dribble/drive, will most likely be hindered by Europe’s increasingly more physical play as of late. Most likely she be hammered by so called ‘professional fouls’ before she can get going.
    Possibly replacement for Pugh; Rapinoe gotten more into her new, elderly statesman role of super sub. Morgan just don’t seem to get the scoring out put under Vlatko. Both would face(guess all 3)what’s now the top FB duo in the world in October —Daly & Bronze

3. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I think Rodman could do well if given the opportunity. She is an explosive 1 v 1 talent. But she may have a VAC issue as well.

4. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    update—-15 members of Spain’s NT just quit the team in protest over their yucky coach. So I think we’ll win even without Pugh & Rodman

now we only got to worry about England

5. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    If FIFA allows 26 players, which they should given the expanded tournament, 5 substitute rule and inevitable Covid infections/quarantines.

GK (3): Naeher, Murphy, Kingsbury
    D (8): Sauerbrunn, Cook, Girma, Davidson, Dunn, Huerta, Fox, Mace
    M (8): Ertz, Coffey, Howell, S. Mewis, Lavelle, Sanchez, DeMelo, Kornieck
    F (7): Morgan, Macario, Hatch, Pugh, Smith, Rodman, Rapinoe

If FIFA only allows 23, omit Howell, one of DeMelo/Kornieck, and...Hatch?

Alternates/Close cuts: Franch, Sonnett, O'Hara, C. Pickett, Sullivan, K. Mewis, Purce, Williams, Balcer, Thompson?

6. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Have you been watching Vlatko's lineups and call-ins? How do you put DeMelo, Howell (who has had very little impact at the NWSL level), Coffey and Korniek in before Kristie Mewis and Sullivan?

Vlatko himself has also said that caps (experience are important at major events). How many caps does DeMelo (0) have? Howell (5)? Coffey (1) Korniek (5)?

Howell has not been brought back in since her initial struggles at that level. Despite the fact that the 6 is arguably our weakest starting position.

Sullivan (33 caps) is a starter right now, and K Mewis (45 caps) is one of his top two off the bench.

Ertz has not even indicated she is returning to soccer, and Sam Mewis hasn't played a game since the Olympics. These two are certainly locks if healthy and willing. But, there is no indication of that at this time.

The rest of the roster makes sense, but I think he brings O'Hara if she is healthy. He seems to really like her.

Bob Lamm repped this.
  7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot Horan.

As between Hatch and Rodman, if there is a need to take drop one forward, I think it will come down to who will be a better teammate if left on the bench.

It is hard for me to see Ertz on the team. She has not even played in ages.

Bob Lamm and ytrs repped this.
  8. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is something I think is a good question:

Think of your best starting lineup. Then, for each player, think of which bench player best could replace her seamlessly. Wouldn’t this be a significant consideration when considering how to complete a roster beyond the best starting lineup?

Bob Lamm repped this.
  9. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I think another way to look at it is who is good at impacting the game off the bench? And, who brings an exceptional quality off the bench that can change a game. Sanchez brings breakdown dribbling, K Mewis brings brilliant long ball distribution with her left foot. Those two would bring qualities and energy that can uplift a team that needs it. Rapinoe is another great example of game changing quality off the bench.

1541086749056720896 is not a valid tweet id

Bob Lamm repped this.
  10. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Oh yes, Horan of course. How could I miss her? She's one of Vlatko's first names on the team sheet. o_O

Bob Lamm repped this.
  11. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    #36 taosjohn, Oct 2, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    5 caps, 85 minutes, 1 goal. Certainly suggests a player who can help you.

But I'll say it again for the hundredth time-- the whole point is to pick players not for what they have done, but for what they are about to do. And her arrow sure looks like it points forward and up...

But right now she's out with an ankle. Howell called in.

Bob Lamm and blissett repped this.
  12. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    “5 caps, 85 minutes, 1 goal. Certainly suggests a player who can help you.”

How does 85 minutes of play suggest she can help you? That is a tiny sample size to judge anyone.

13. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    You judge them in practice. 85 good minutes in a game or games goes a fair way to confirming that judgement.

And you are making a huge and unjustified leap to equate "suggests" with "confirmed as."

I am entirely with you on the difference between league and international and have said so many times; but in terms of judgement, we are considerably sub league and the NT staff even if not up to the level are at least "league" to us. AFAIK no one has offered to pay any of us to replace them.

So it is a little shaky for any of us to put our judgement of what we see on our screens for a couple of hours up against what they see all workday long. Especially, they will have much better takes on who is going to continue to improve, who will hold steady for a while, and who is in decline. It is about what they are going to do, not what they have done.

And 85 minutes over 5 games, 1 goal is at least promising.

JanBalk repped this.
  14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some news that affects folks' predictions:

In the press conference about the SheBelieves roster announcement, Vlatko directly said that Sam Mewis is OUT for this year's WWC (and apparently the coaching staff have known this for awhile).

On Ertz: "and the time is running out for her, and she's someone we're probably not going to be able to count on in the World Cup."

On Tobin Heath, she is "absolutely" still in the running (despite not being called in for awhile).

And on roster size:

15. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    He was specifically asked about Tobin. She is not making this roster. If time is running out on Ertz, how is the same standard not applied to Heath? He is just being politically correct because he was blasted last time he threw Press under the bus. Now he is playing nice with everyone dealing with injuries, who has a history on the national team. Tobin hasn't played meaningful minutes since the Olympics. She is always injured, and currently not signed to a club (same club issue he mentioned for Ertz).

16. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
  17. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re-doing my prediction with the recent news (and more recent call-ins):

GK (3): Naeher, Murphy, Franch (bringing Franch back in over Kingsbury; these 3 seem set in stone with Naeher and Murphy as the #1 and #2)
    D (7): Sauerbrunn, Cook, Girma, Fox, Dunn*, Huerta, Davidson* (Huerta in over O'Hara and putting O'Hara on the alternate list; Sonnett could also make it if Dunn, O'Hara or Davidson don't recover form)
    M (6): Horan, Lavelle, Sullivan, Sanchez, K Mewis, Kornieck
    F (7): Morgan, Macario*, Smith, Swanson, Rapinoe, Rodman, Williams

*=injured/recovering but make it if they recover former playing form
    Alternates (or make the roster if it goes to 26): O'Hara*, Coffey/Howell, Purce (putting Purce in over Hatch for another winger, but Hatch makes it here instead if Macario doesn't)

Personally I'd also like to see 1 more midfielder and 1 less forward, but I don't think that is what will happen. Also, the midfield is the hardest to decide, and this is purely based on who Vlatko is calling in. Personally, I'd like to see a defender (Girma?) tried out as a defensive mid, but that would leave Sauerbrunn and Cook as the likely starting CB's, which I think is too slow there, so maybe that only gets tried if Davidson can come back in and start. Howell, I think, could be great, but hasn't shown enough at this level, so I'd give the edge to Coffey as the alternate/last midfielder in on a 26 player roster. I don't know honestly. I feel like we've thrown the kitchen sink at the DM position, but we still don't have a great solution to Ertz being out. Anyway, imo, the SheBelieves roster is very close to what the WWC roster will be except for injured players coming back in (with Hatch and Sonnett basically being placeholders on SheBelieves roster if Macario and Davidson can return).

kolabear, ytrs and cpthomas repped this.
  18. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    I enjoyed, related and sympathised with the Road Manager story but watching that pass from Huerta was...
    Sweet As.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  19. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I pretty much agree with this, but there is one glaring problem. Bringing only 3 outside backs to a World Cup seems highly riskly. Especially when one (Fox) has a concussion history that one hit could knock her out for a week or so. Outside back is such a demanding position. Four center backs and three outside backs seems out of balance to me. This is where Sonnett is valuable with her versatility. Although I don't see who he knocks out of center back. I would remove Cook because she gets beat for pace in nearly ever tough game we had in the fall. But, she seems to be a favorite of his. This is where someone like Rapinoe should not be going (in my opinion). We need someone who can play a lot of minutes at this level and she cannot anymore. We are loaded with depth on the wing. You have 5 wingers going. Sacrifice a winger for an outside back perhaps?

20. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Davidson has that flexibility like Sonnett and can play center back or left outside back (although not as well as the starting outside backs). Of course, this all depends on her being fully ready. But, if we need another outside back, I'd bet its O'Hara over Sonnett, but O'Hara also seems perpetually injured, so that alternate spot may go to Sonnett if O'Hara isn't healthy...in both cases though (and really in all cases where its the "last" spot), the determining factors may be locker room/off-the-field related.

21. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Just sticking something in here because it is easy to forget, in re Ertz, and it probably affects her decisions-- Zach Ertz is only three months or so into rehabbing an MCL repair.

So he's probably not carrying all that much of the load with the new baby...

22. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    They can afford a nanny.

23. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    But they may not choose to do that at this age... and they can also afford to choose not to.

24. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Right so her husband can be with the child while she works out and goes to work like the rest of working parents do. Three months off an ACL and he can do everything but sports. If you saw him on the street you would never know he was injured at three months. In fact he has likely been cleared for running at this stage. Three months is standard timeline to be cleared to run.

cpthomas repped this.
  25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For anyone wanting to make changes to their predictions, we now have Ertz, Krueger, and Davidson all getting called into the April camp.

Additionally, Vlatko talked about Macario's possible return and said she is expected to return to play [at Lyon] "early next month" (meaning April?):