Predicting 2022 WC Roster (Best 23)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, Jun 9, 2021.

1. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Never too early to take a guess at the 2022 WC Roster, especially with the Nations League behind us. There will be some tough cuts from this roster, with a few locks.

GK: Steffen, Horvath, ________?
    In competition: Johnson, Turner, Hamid
    Steffen is a lock, and Horvath basically booked his spot on the roster with his performance against Mexico. Third GK position is wide open.

CB: Brooks, Richards, ______, _______.
    In competition: McKenzie, Miazga, CCV, EPB, Zimmerman, Alvarado.
    I'm not thrilled with our CB options after first two. This could be our greatest weakness against top competition.

RB: Dest, Yedlin.
    In competition: Cannon, Reynolds. I'll go for Yedlin's experience in England, Turkey, and at WC over Cannon and Reynolds at this point. Also prefer Dest at RB.

LB: Robinson, ______?
    In competition: Bello. Kenny Saief, Leon Flach, and Cristian Cappis are all out-there left-footed candidates for conversion.

CM: McKennie, Adams, Musah, _________ (?)
    In the mix: Lletget, Acosta, Otasowie, Mendez, Nagbe, Cardoso, Bryang Kayo.
    There's a wide open battle for fourth CM slot. Lletget obviously has the inside-track, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone overtakes him. I do wonder if Nagbe can be coaxed back into the program, especially if there's an injury or two. Defensive midfield is another weakness at international level.

W: Pulisic, Reyna, Weah, Green, Aaronsen.
    In the mix: De La Torre, De La Fuente, Boyd, Busio, Saucedo, Llanez.
    Yes, Julian Green should make this roster, especially if he does well in Bundesliga next year.
    Torre and Fuente are tough cuts, unless they really start playing at a high level in next year or two. Boyd needs to sign for a good team.

F: Sargent, Siebatcheu, Dike.
    In the mix: Hoppe, Zardes, Soto, Morris, Gioachinni, Novakovich.
    Morris' stock has really fallen, I just can't see him making this team given his fragility. Dike needs to move back to Europe to cement his role.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Formation
    4231 (rather than 433)

GOALKEEPERS
    This one is almost settled. It’s most likely going to be Zack Steffen, Ethan Horvath, and Matt Turner. Steffen has his grip on the #1 spot, but it finally seems like he has some legit competition.

Sure, David Ochoa could be a contender. Sean Johnson, Chituri Odunze, Brad Guzan, or anyone else are Longshots.

...At Goalkeeper, we’re finally looking okay.

FULLBACKS
    Sergino Dest is the only lock. Personally, I believe he slots in at left back rather than his regular position at right back. He is extremely two-footed and his issue at left back is not due to him being on the wrong foot, rather than a concentration and experience issue. So, unless we find a world class left back in the next year, then, Dest is our left back.

Behind Dest, Antonee Robinson could be considered a lock, solely because he’s our only true left back in the player pool.

At right back, it’s a dog fight between Bryan Reynolds, DeAndre Yedlin, and Reggie Cannon, and I’ll predict that DeAndre Yedlin and Bryan Reynolds wins out.

Reggie Cannon seems like he will be the odd man out but that’s to be determined because he currently ahead of Reynolds.

Meanwhile, Sam Vines, George Bello, Julian Araujo, Jonathan Gomez, John Tolkin, Aaron Herrera, Joe Scally, Kyle Duncan, Jaylin Lindsey, Tim Chandler, and Leon Flach are in the mix. Gomez, Vines, Bello, and Araujo probably have the best chance to knock someone off but they have work to do.

Kik Pierie is a wildcard and would be a strong contender, at both left back and center back. Of note, if Pierie committed, I might just bring 7 defenders, and bring an extra midfielder or forward. That’s one of his additional benefits.

...At fullback, I’d say currently we’re okay. But we’re desperate for another left back. Whereas we look better at right back.

DEFENDERS
    What we know is that John Brooks is a lock. And I think it’s safe to go ahead and conclude that Chris Richards is too.

After them... who knows? We have some good contenders but no one who really gives you the warm and fuzzies.

At the moment, I think Matt Miazga and Mark McKenzie have the inside track. But that can change, as soon as someone proves their better.

For example, if Justin Che emerges for Bayern Munich, he’s knocking out one of Miazga and McKenzie.

Aaron Long is probably out after his injury. And I think Walker Zimmerman and Miles Robinson deserve more of a chance than Tim Ream. But both probably need to be playing at a higher level than MLS.

Then, there’s still Erik Palmer-Brown and Cameron Carter-Vickers, but both need to take their game up a notch.

...At center back, we currently look the weakest. We need someone to emerge.

MIDFIELDERS
    We know Weston McKennie and Tyler Adams are locks, and we should count Yunus Musah too.

So, there’s one midfield spot left...

It’s just a prediction, but I’ll go with Gianluca Busio emerges as a legitimate option. He has all the tools and if he breaks out in Europe then he’s going to make us all feel more comfortable. I believe Busio would benefit more from a change to a 4231 formation than expect him to be a pure 6 in a 433.

Right now, Kelyn Acosta is the placeholder ~ especially because he showed that he can play defensive midfielder and left back.

I believe Luca de la Torre is higher up than we might realize. He should get his shot during the Gold Cup. Still, he’s got work to do. If we go to a 4231 formation, rather than 433 ~ where’s he’s competing at the 6 or against Musah, his chances improve.

I hope that Berhalter saw that Jackson Yuiell is alright but he’s going to be exposed at the highest level. Still, until someone emerges, he’s going to get looks.

Abroad, we are waiting on Owen Otasowie, Johnny Cardoso, Chris Durkin, Christian Cappis, And Bryang Kayo to emerge. Otasowie and Cardoso could be the guy. But we’ll have to wait and see.

In MLS, we are waiting on James Sands, Tanner Tessman, Paxton Pomykal, Eryk Williamson, Frankie Amaya, and Moses Nyeman to emerge. Pomykal needs to reclaim his form and reach his potential; but if he can get back to that, he could be a contender. Sands has an outside chance, either at the 6 or as a CB in a three man back line.

Then, there’s the outside chance of Cristian Roldan, but I really hope we don’t go back there.

...At midfield, it’s dicey. If everyone is there, we look good ~ especially if we can get one hot prospect to break out. But we’re an injury away from disaster. Injury prone, Tyler Adams, must stay healthy.

LEFT-CENTER-RIGHT ATT. MIDFIELDERS
    We know Christian Pulisic, Gio Reyna, Brenden Aaronson, and Tim Weah are locks. So, there are two spots left...

My picks, or my guesses ~ I’m going with Matthew Hoppe (alternating between forward and winger) and Richard Ledezma (who I hope resurfaces after his long injury). Both are sort of stabs in the dark. But here’s the thing... unless Hoppe cannot build on his performance from this past season, he’s going to be a contender. And Ledezma was previously neck and neck with Aaronson, as a player who was breaking out for PSV Eindhoven. Hopefully, we’ll see in the next year that Ledezma rebounded from his serious injury as well as Weah has.

Easily, I could have selected Sebastian Lletget, but I think others will surpass him in a year. I could say Jordan Morris re-emerges. I still have hopes for Konrad de la Fuente. Julian Green deserves a good look. I’m bullish on Cade Cowell and Caden Clark, and believe they’ll be in Europe before the WC starts.

Meanwhile, I’m less enthused about but they’ll still get a shot are Paul Arriola and Tyler Boyd. Further down the pecking order, there’s Paul Gioacchini, Jesus Ferreira, Chris Mueller, and I guess we might as well say Jonathan Lewis ~ who have all scored braces for the USMNT already.

Also, Djordje Mihailovic (who has a US goal to his name too) and Cole Bassett should not be completely forgotten, even if they’re way down the pecking order.

Alex Mighten is one who could commit to the US. But he’s still a Longshot.

In MLS, and maybe soon abroad, there is Kevin Paredes and Dante Sealy. Also, there’s Uly Llanez who is lost in no man’s land right now. They’re extremely distant longshots but stranger things have happened.

And who knows? There’s still Alex Mendez, Anthony Fontana, Benji Michel, Sebastian Saucedo, Jose Gallegos, Duane Holmes, Emmanuel Sabbi, Joel and Alan Sonora, Malik Tillman, Matko Miljevic, Evan Rotundo, Paxton Aaronson, and Andreas Jasson. Do any of those guys stand a chance. Probably not. But keep an eye on them.

...at Attacking mid, I’m very confident with our main core. Of course I’d like to add some depth. But this group should be a threat to any team in the world.

CENTER FORWARDS
    Right now, I’m picking Josh Sargent and Daryl Dike. With Jordan Pefok as my main competitor for the third spot. Plus, I’ve already mentioned Matthew Hoppe but I’ve got him in the 23 already.

The thing is center forward is not established. And any of these guys can be knocked off.

For example, I would already start courting dual-national Folarin Balogun, who looks like he’ll get his chance finally with Arsenal next year. I don’t think we can ignore a striker for Arsenal. Right now, I don’t have him overtaking Sargent or Dike yet. But I’m flirting with it.

Since Guatemala did not qualify, we should be able to get Rubio Rubin if he keeps up his goal scoring escapades. But do I think he’s one of our best guys? Right now, I don’t.

What I don’t want to see happen is that we have to rely on Gyasi Zardes or Jozy Altidore. To me, they’re done. We know they will not get the job done at the World Cup.

Meanwhile, I think it’s too soon for Ricardo Pepi.

There’s also the possibility of Cade Cowell, Jesus Ferreira, Paul Gioacchini, or Jordan Morris playing center forward instead of wing.

Abroad, there’s still Haji Wright and Andrija Novakovich. For them, a lot depends on this next year. Neither have commanded a spot but things could change. I guess you could say Aaron Johansson too, but Iceman has fallen off my radar.

You can include Ayo Akinola and Sebastian Soto, as well. But they’re longshots. And I predict Ayo will go to Canada. I don’t rate Jeremy Ebobisse but you can include him too.

Then, there’s always the potential of Malick Sanogo breaking out. Keep your eyes peeled. But he’s so young that I wouldn’t bet my house on it.

Alas, I’d love to steal Santiago Munoz from Mexico, just because that’s what they try to do with our guys. Still, I don’t have him in my 23.

...At center forward, we really need a goal scorer. We have some guys with promise but we need someone to be the guy for us.

3. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Best XI from that group

————Dike(at the moment)———
    Pulisic———Aaronson———-Reyna
    ———McKennie———Adams——-
    Dest——————————Yedlin(atm)
    ———-Brooks———Richards———
    ——————-Steffen———————

Subs off the bench:
    1. Weah (Aaronson) - move Pulisic or Reyna inside
    2. Musah (for Adams or McKennie)
    3. As need dictates (Robinson for Dest/Yedlin, Reynolds for Yedlin, Miazga/McKenzie for Richards, Horvath for Steffen, Sargent for Dike)

El Stikero, nycfc919, rlrcpa and 2 others repped this.
  4. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Aaronsen is not a lock...yet. He's played well but Austrian league isn't all that great. Julian Green and others could overtake him.

5. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i enjoy this sort of tomfoolery...

assuming fitness, no coaching change/major overhaul in system and not accounting for HUGE rises/drops in form/completely unknown talents emerging id be very surprised if it wasnt

gk steffen
    gk horvath
    gk

rb dest
    rb cannon

cb brooks
    cb long
    cb richards
    cb

lb robinson
    lb

dm adams
    dm

cm mckennie
    cm musah
    cm
    cm

am pulisic
    am reyna
    am aaronson
    am weah

st
    st

horvath is a soft lock due to club situation, but he and turner seem very likely to round out the position. ochoa is the young option/spoiler possibility.

cannon is fairly soft to call a lock, but i think the only other outside back to reasonably expect/predict make a huge jump is reynolds. yedlin has vet presence/no big leaps from other options possibilities, and i have to add that acosta and arriola are incredibly unsexy swiss army knife/last guy on the roster possibilities that could be in play if this doesnt sort itself out.

in the middle mckenzie has a solid case (and inside track) at this point and che is the shoot the moon possibility.

theres no "6" (of any style) i feel comfortable predicting at this point.

in cm, lletget has an inside track- as much as no one is thrilled about that. pomykal is the known unknown, while clark is the (seemingly) most likely to make a huge leap forward.

morris and/or cowell are the predictable guys who could have a say in the attacking mid/wing conversation (and i guess a lot of people would add konrad, though i dont personally see it).

up top? good lord, who knows? sargent and dike are probably the strongest possibilities, and both are a long way from me feeling great about that (with sarge honestly heading the wrong direction, imo). next clubs are going to be hugely important to this conversation.

i think ultimately itll come down to a case of dike or p-funk (for one spot- not in relation to other options), and i go with elite physical prowess. hoppes seems like a longshot (for gregg to give chances, not my evaluation). hes gonna have to make his case at the club level cause i simply dont believe yet zardes isnt still on berhalters white board.

the only two, as ive said, remotely "predictable" guys for a big jump in time are pepi (if he gets the hell out of dallas and i mean soon) and a little side project im working on (consisting mainly of sending good vibes in the general direction of gelsenkirchen) that current attacking mid evan rotundo is converted to striker.

nbarbour and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  6. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dude, if julian green is the alternative then aaronson is a lock they could hold contests around, to see if even master criminals can crack it for like a million dollars.

xbhaskarx and gogorath repped this.
  7. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this formation and lineup, but I’m starting to agree with those saying Pulisic should be used centrally for us. His statistics are way better for the NT when he’s used in the center. I’d have him as a withdrawn striker, pretty much a #10 position with the freedom to go find the game. He hasn’t been getting involved enough in the LW. And have him defend as the left striker in the 4-4-2 defense we’ve been using. So slot him there, and have Aaronson on the left. I think we’re getting to the point where Aaronson is forcing his way into the XI. He’s just a really high quality player, and his defensive work rate is even better than I originally thought.

Besides that, I slightly prefer Cannon to Yedlin at RB, but the fullback starting positions are really close for me.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  8. cyberthoth

cyberthoth Member+

Nashville SC
    Aug 7, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Green and Aaronson are not competing with each other. Aaronson is a winger and is competing with Weah and Morris. Green is a CM competing with Musah and Lletget.

xbhaskarx, FTGOTC and Konut repped this.
  9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    also love this lineup. Aaronson and Pulisic could switch out interchangably on an ad hoc basis if need-be given what is demanded on the field at the time. Theyre both smart enough to know when to overlap

10. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    It's damn exciting, I think mine looks a lot like that of most people:

Keeper (3): Steffen, Horvath, Turner

Defense (9)
    Fullbacks: Dest, Robinson, Reynolds, Cannon, Ream
    Centerbacks: JAB, Richards, Long, McKenzie
    Wildcard: Reynolds, Miazga, Araujo, Bello

Midfielders (4-5)
    Central:
    McKennie, Musah, Adams, Acosta
    Wildcards: C&C

Forwards (6-7)
    #9:
    Sargent, Dike, Siebatcheu
    Wingers: Pulisic, Aaronson, Reyna, Weah
    Wildcard: Hoppe

There are just a few questions to me at this point:

Keeper:
    1.)Whose the starter?
    Horvath has been better than Steffen period save for a howler against Portugal FOUR years ago, and the fact that he's stuck behind a famed Belgium goalie with his club, but now he can move on on a free.

2.) Does Turner have a chance? I think I know the answer to this already.

3.) Whose is Keeper 3? Normally with the USMNT the third keeper tends to be a savvy vet glue guy. We don't have one. We can either go with Turner, who really should have a chance to win the gig, or Ochoa, a guy whose probably the most talented Keeper long term in the entire program.

Defenders:
    1.) Could Ream still have a grip on this LCB/LB gig/backup slot a year from now? 18 months from now?
    I have no idea, but he's been kept around well past his sell by date.

2.)Who is the Backup Left Centerback behind JAB?

3.)
    What does Berhalter's Fullback depth chart look like 18 months from now with guys like Reynolds, Araujo, and Bello developing behind top options like Dest, Robinson, Cannon and Yedlin?

4. Where do Robinson, EPB, and CCV stand a short time from now?

I'm not quite sure if Berhalter even rates any of these guys at this point, but Miles Robinson, EPB and CCV are clearly in the back of the queue.

Midfield:
    1.) Who is the fourth central midfielder?
    My assumption is that it's Acosta. I think Acosta clearly won the duel with Yueill for the backup 6/Swiss Army knife gig in this window

2.) What young player might steal a back of the roster slot? Lol, I'll grant that they're all young players, or nearly so, but there are some guys in MLS right now who do have a chance at making the jump because the WC is 18 months away instead of 12 like it would Normally be. Cowell and Clark will be 19 for the tournament, and Clark will have been in Europe for a year at that point. It's definitely conceivable that Clark makes it. Additionally we also have some other guys like Gianluca Busio, Tanner Tessmann, Cole Bassett, Paxton Pomykal etc trying to make a breakthrough.

Forwards:
    1.) Do we take a third and fourth forward?
    Do we take just two, or three? Where is Hoppe a year from now, 16 months from now.

2.) How many wingers? Berhalter links wingers with the Forwards for our rosters so I expect more of the same, I think the four wingers right themselves for now, my only question is in regards to where Morris is a year from now. I imagine a lot of people won't include him in rosters, but he's the one guy that always looked great for Berhalter, and he has that versatility of being able to play Winger or Forward.

3.) Pepi or other kiddos: Is there a wild card option that goes as a striker like Pepi, or Hoppe or someone else, heck even Wright? A lot can happen in a year.

I suppose the thing that's craziest to me is that we can still clearly build two XI's right now that are probably capable of beating anyone in Concacaf other than Mexico straight up at anytime, while Mexico is more a, "on their day" option. Additionally when you look down the roster, the depth is flat out unbelievable, the fact that I can pile in dozens of guys after the original 23 that I believe in genuinely? It's extraordinary that we've reached this point in just a couple of years after rock bottom in '17.

rlrcpa, Winoman and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  11. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GK: Steffen, Horvath, Turner or Ochoa
    CB: Brooks, Richards, McKenzie, CCV or M. Robinson
    RB/LB: Dest, Cannon, Araujo, A. Robinson
    M: Adams, Weston, Musah, 2 of Busio, Sands and Flach
    W: CP, Reyna, Aaronson and Weah
    9: Dike, Sargent and Siebatcheu

Most important issue is who will back up Adams who is clearly our most important player when playing the single 6. I think Busio has the highest ceiling and is already doing well at the 6... but Sands and Flach might be the safer bet if you need a pure destroyer.

2nd Most important issue is how thin we are at LB. ARob seems to play better for his club team and needs to stop making bonehead back passes. I would like an alternative to step up. I do think Flach could fill in there... I really like his positional flexibility.

3rd most important issue is whether anyone is going to step up and take the striker role. Dike may be in the lead by a slight margin right now.... but I want to see more from all three listed.

12. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    Steffen
    Horvath
    Ochoa

Dest
    Reynolds

Brooks
    Richards
    McKenzie
    Miazga (Pierie replaces Miazga if he commits)

Robison
    Vines

Adams
    Busio
    Musah
    Mckennie
    Acosta

Clark
    Pulisic
    Aaronson

Sargent
    Dike

Reyna
    Weah

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  13. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love reading these posts and thinking about the range and depth of talent this team possess and will possess a year hence.

But I am a superstitious man, and something about the presumption that we'll make the 2022 WC worries me, especially after the apocalyptic humiliation we suffered last time round.

So y'all do y'all; as I said, I enjoy this discussion. But don't mind me if after reading this thread, I knock on wood, throw salt over my shoulder, and engage in other superstitious curatives just to make sure the fates aren't tempted.

sXeWesley, YNWA Rob, Girt and 1 other person repped this.
  14. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I think the big surprise between now and WC2022 will not be a new player so much as change in how a current regular is deployed.

Some possibilities:

1) Reyna to forward
    2) Reyna to CAM
    3) Pulisic to CAM
    4) Dest to wing
    5) Cannon or Reynolds to center back

Berhalter has a lot to chew on. It could also be that a change in how a particular player is used by his club will contribute to an evolution of his role with the Nats. Dortmund was using Reyna centrally for a while. They might give him another look there or even at forward if Haaland is sold.

sXeWesley and Winoman repped this.
  15. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    I guess you’ll love to hear that I think we are going to dominate concacaf and cruise through qualifying. We have the most talent, and many of our players are only going to get better over the next 12 months. These 3-game windows are also going to play into our hands because we will be able to role out guys like Aaronson, Busio, and Musah as part of our B+ team when our opponents face huge drop offs in talent when going to their bench.

I mean, a guy like Clark could seriously end up being the best teenager at the World Cup and he’s not even in the squad right now. This is obviously a pretty big reach, but I honestly think that we are going to have a few more guys like him, Aaronson, and Busio reach the heights that CP, Reyna, and Mckennie are at over the next couple years. Some might not bloom in time for the World Cup, but the talent is simply unmistakable.

16. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    A big question is how much you go like for like in subs and how much do you go for versatility in style of play.

Like for like protects against injury and fatigue but doesn't help with gameplanning. The latter helps you set up differently and try new things but you can be left not being able to execute your preferred style if someone goes down.

Player versatility helps you do both. So that should be a consideration.

Whether it's Richards or Ream, the ability to CB / Defensive FB has value. Or someone who can swing from CM to winger or winger to striker.

For me, I push for versatility in terms of backups -- perhaps carrying a fifth winger so that I can have three playermakers (CP, GR, BA) and two stretch the defense types (Weah, Morris as examples). At striker, I take at least on target man (Dike, Siebatcheu) but my other striker is probably a different style unless someone emerges as a true dominant player.

I probably bring more defensive fullbacks as complements to Dest and presumably Robinson.

That said, there are some pretty hopeful names on these lists, and some strange omissions. The pool will evolve due to injuries, player emergence, perhaps some form, but there's a lot of spots where talent and integration are so strong, there's not a lot of room there unless someone gets hurt.

And then there's a number of wide, wide open slots. Striker, left back, backup d mid lists should be large. Winger is going to be hard to crack, though. Same with the 8s.

Girt, theboogeyman and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  17. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aaronson isn't a lock starter for me. He's a lock in the 23. Depending on the opponent I may prefer Musah in their for defensive chops. If I'm comfy with my D, 3 in the back or whatever, then I want Aaronson's offensive chops in the game.

Against the teams likely to be faced in WC, I want McKennie-Adams-Musah as the starting midfield until I see more of Aaronson against better teams. Costa Rica was a joke to be honest.

Winoman repped this.
  18. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i would absolutely love if we changed the double "outside/attacking" look we primarily use now and went for more width, playing reyna (in particular) in the middle.

that one change could make our midfield adams/mckennie/reyna as the standard 6/8/10, while having pulisic and weah "wide" stretching the field (in space, where they both thrive, while both still can still come inside, create, look for their own shot etc). and we have musah and aaronson as starter quality depth- we can make adjustments for any given matchup.

i feel like we are just bunching our entire attack into the box and expecting width from the fullbacks to be enough. that part of it makes sense- dest and robinson are both plus attackers from the back, but cb is not our position the strength- and our non-striker attackers really are.

i wish we would simplify. we have the talent, everything doesnt need to be an intricate wrinkle or a brand new genius idea.

sXeWesley and bostonsoccermdl repped this.
  19. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    This will seem a bit heretical to say about a player so young, but I think Berhalter should turn the keys to the car over to Reyna. Install him as the 10/CAM/withdrawn forward, whatever you want to call it, and build outward from that foundation. He can press almost as well as McKennie from there, but also give you a more efficient attacking player.

20. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh, to be clear- the only scenario i start aaronson is as a necessary evil of rotation for 3 match qualifying windows (and then, in this wc scenario, tourney-specific rotation due to fitness, card-accumulation suspensions, etc).

his best use (imo) is a nearly every match sub at any of lm, rm or cm for me. he can give a late spark in the attacking running at tired defenses, creating, and increasingly finishing himself. he helps in possession, strong presser- all of which are accentuated off the bench. his primary weakness has been his tendency (which he seems to be improving on over time) to sort of fade into the background over 90 minutes. hes never been an especially high usage player.

so not a lock starter, but a lock 23. we are on the same page there.

Yowza and laxcoach repped this.
  21. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure I want a dedicated 10 but it's not heretical to suggest Reyna as the QB IMO. What we've seen out of him and a few other young pups on the roster is that their mental age and soccer age is well above their years. I don't see any of CP, Wes, Adams, Reyna as young anymore. But real happy we get them for another decade or more.

What the coach of the USMNT has at his disposal from here on out is a variety of talent to use in different ways. Different formations, different starting 11's and a team that's tougher than crap to prepare for if it's all used in the right way. So we could see Reyna as a 10 more than once.

22. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more I see of Aaronson the more I like. Just want to see him against top competition like Wes, CP and Adams have faced to get a better picture. And super sub for Berhalter seems like the best fit today.

23. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i just think youre showing a shocking level of disrespect to admira wacker, but hey- to each his own :cool:

24. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    He more or less has. Any more and we're reducing Pulisic's role.

And honestly, (a) he hasn't shown the decision making yet to justify it and (b) it makes your offense so much more predictable.

I mean, no, he can't. He's not a bad defender. He's nowhere in McKennie's class.

Marko72 and FTGOTC repped this.
  25. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Fair enough. Let's put it this way. McKennie brings an unconventional mix of attacking/defensive qualities to that role. Reyna would bring a more conventional mix.