Predict the 2013 MLS Wooden Spoon Winner

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by henryo, Jul 19, 2013.

?

Which team(s) will win MLS Wooden Spoon 2013?

Poll closed Nov 15, 2013.
  1. D.C. United

81.0%
  2. Toronto FC

4.8%
  3. Chivas USA

16.7%
  4. Chicago Fire

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Columbus Crew

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Based on the similar threads for 2011 & 2012...

It seems the most likely teams to win it would be those in the bottom 3 as at 18-July,
    namely D.C., Toronto or Chivas, though Chicago and Columbus may not be totally out yet.

Let's vote!

[​IMG]

2. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    To recap, the list of past Wooden Spoon Winners / Runners-up, and their respective Head Coaches:

3. davidrpaige

davidrpaige Member

May 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think it would be the capper if my team, DC United, can get the Wooden Spoon AND the Dewar Cup this year. Total Jekyll & Hyde season. Then I want a full apology from ownership about this season, but they are all absentee, so we'll get nothing.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm sure the apology will come with a season ticket renewal form outlining price increases for next season.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  5. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    I know that theoretically a number of teams are still in it, but, really, isn't this a two horse race between Toronto and DC? Chivas certainly brings the suck, but they they've made some changes that I think will see them avoid the spoon. As between DC and Toronto, I'm going with DC, for no particular reason.

6. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the start of the season, I thought it would be the FIRE, but I'm going with DC United.

7. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's way too early to say that Chivas will be out of the spoon zone. That team is walking disaster this year. But it's not just the product on the field, it's all the chaos happening at the front office level that is infecting the rest of the club. Things at that club will get a lot worse before they get better.

8. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Snapshot of Poll through July-21:
    • * D.C. United 7 vote(s) 63.6%
    • * Toronto FC 2 vote(s) 18.2%
    • Chivas USA 3 vote(s) 27.3%
    • Chicago Fire 0 vote(s) 0.0%
    • Columbus Crew 0 vote(s) 0.0%

9. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I've always liked this thread.

henryo repped this.
  10. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    The best part about this spoon race is that both of the top contenders have a decent chance of being relegated after this season.

11. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    In separate thread(s), it was noted that D.C. United could be on something special this season, finishing with the Wooden Spoon, yet winning the USOC (similar to Wigan A.F.C. of EPL 2012-13, which were relegated, yet won the FA Cup in the same season: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigan_Athletic_F.C.#Honours).

Coincidentally, D.C. United were the ONLY team to-date to have WON the USOC yet MISSED the league PLAYOFFS in the same season.

On this note, IIRC, the Best Finish ever in USOC by a Wooden Spoonist should be Runners-up, by Chicago Fire in 2004:

List of USOC Finalists from MLS that did not make the playoffs in the same season:

Season USOC Finalists Position in SS Standings Remarks[/INDENT]
    2000 Miami 9th/12 teams​
    2001 N.E. 9th/12​
    2004 Chicago 10th/10 The only MLS Wooden Spoonist to-date​
    2006 L.A. 9th/12​
    2008 D.C. 10th/14 The only USOC Winner to-date​
    2009 D.C. 10th/15​
    2011 Chicago 11th/18​

jayd8888 repped this.
  12. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Snapshot of Poll, through Aug-11:
    1. D.C. United 16 vote(s) 69.6%
    2. Toronto FC 2 vote(s) 8.7%
    3. Chivas USA 6 vote(s) 26.1%
    4. Chicago Fire 0 vote(s) 0.0%
    5. Columbus Crew 0 vote(s) 0.0%

13. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    By the way, D.C. United are now a few steps closer to becoming the First Wooden Spoonist to win the USOC... "Best of Luck"!! :p

14. bgix

bgix Bad Penny

Jun 29, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #15 bgix, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
    Was browsing my favorite Monte Carlo simulation tool for MLS (http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/MLS2.html) and this weeks "50-50" simulation has hit the 16.5 Billion iteration mark. This simulation (probably more accurately called a "33-33-33" simulation, because it assigns an equal chance to W-L-D, without any weighting) has found a single mathematical chance of RSL winning the wooden spoon, or as it stands now: 1:16,582,491,274.

Now that's what I call long odds.

In fact, the only thing it hasn't found at least one chance for, is a way for DCU to win the East.

Another Nugget: Both Chicago and Dallas could in theory win the spoon with a 43 point total.

Edit: Spoke too soon: After 21 Billion iterations, it has found 3 chances for DCU to win the East. Still sits at 0:21 Billion for the Supporters shield, however.

henryo repped this.
  15. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    The odds of D.C. (and Toronto) winning the SS seemed to have officially diminished this week... (their odds are no longer "0.0", but a straight "No")

Chivas are on the brink too.

Better luck next season(s)!!

16. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Laugh all you want now. DC's going to be the Champion Of The United States Of America come October. And then I shall laugh.

17. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Sincerely hope they can achieve that and set a new records for the best finish in USOC by a (potential) Wooden Spoonist...

jayd8888 repped this.
  18. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
  19. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    It's done, D.C. United have won the USOC and captured the Wooden Spoon with the 0-3 home loss to Chicago on Oct-4.

D.C. United remain the ONLY team to have WON the USOC yet MISSED the PLAYOFFS in the same season, TWICE no less (2008 & 2013).

Updated List of USOC Finalists from MLS that did not make the playoffs in the same season:

Season USOC Finalists Position in SS Standings Remarks
    2000 Miami (Runners-up) 9th/12 teams
    2001 N.E. (Runners-up) 9th/12
    2004 Chicago (Runners-up) 10th/10 The only other MLS Wooden Spoonist to-date
    2006 L.A. (Runners-up) 9th/12
    2008 D.C. (Winners) 10th/14 The only other USOC Winners to-date
    2009 D.C. (Runners-up) 10th/15
    2011 Chicago (Runners-up) 11th/18
    2013 D.C. (Winners) 19th/19 The only Double Winners (USOC + Spoon) to-date

jayd8888 and sitruc repped this.
  20. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
  21. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm predicting...D.C. United. Oh, wait...

22. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Champions Of The United States Of America!

23. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    #24 henryo, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
    It's done:

With TFC's 1-0 surprise 1-0 win over Montreal, Chivas USA have successfully defended their position of "Wooden Spoon Runners-up" to D.C. United in 2013, having finished 2nd last in 2012 as well:
    http://aragon.ws/soccerdb/league/latest.php?stageId=1312

Coincidentally, the Bottom-2 of 2013 looks the same as 2010, where D.C. & Chivas finished as Winners/Runners-up of the Wooden Spoon too:
    http://aragon.ws/soccerdb/league/latest.php?stageId=863

Bravo!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

24. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kudos to Chivas for their "achievement." In my book Chivas wins the title of Sultans of Suck this year because even though DC officially won the Spoon this year, at least they won the Open Cup to offset it a little. Chivas however had no redeeming quality to it this year whatsoever, it was a complete clusterbomb from beginning to end. It makes my head spin just thinking about it.

henryo repped this.