Pre-WWC training and friendlies

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by MichaelR, Sep 4, 2003.

1. MichaelR

MichaelR New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Philadelphia
    What are the home bases of each of the teams?

I know from various posts on the board that France is training in Boston, Japan in Columbus and Ghana in Portland.

How about the 13 other teams? And will there be any pre-WWC friendlys in or around Philadelphia?

2. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    US will be at the UVA in Charlottesville. 4 hour drive.

3. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I've heard a rumor that Penn's Rhodes Field (our soccer facility) will be a training venue, but full details are not finalized yet.

I expect the Daily Pennsylvanian to have first word if anything is announced.

4. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I can't find the damn post but I swear on my father's grave that there was mention of China taking on another international team at RFK days before the tourney kicks off.

And gousa9 mentioned that perhaps the Chinese may be taking on the Freedom this Friday.

Sure...not Philly but close enough.

5. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Surely, one or 2 of the teams based in Philly or have their first games in Philly will practice around here. I'll find out about France shortly. Would not mind watching North Korea practice.

"I expect the Daily Pennsylvanian to have first word if anything is announced."

Shameless plug again.

6. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Who/where in Boston?

Any word on who (France?) and where they are in Boston would be GREATLY appreciated? Matches, training, appearances... any word or link will do. (Thanks in advance for any input.)

7. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Yeah, but it seems that the French team will stay in Boston the whole time. I don't understand it. Planes, I was told. It's cheaper to fly shorter distances in Europe than it is here. But it's their decision.

8. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Re: Re: Pre-WWC training and friendlies

Well it has been more or less confirmed...China v Freedom+some Charge players this Friday at 11am in DC.

9. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Maybe I should try to sneak in and watch.

10. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Per Soccer America....France v Japan on Sunday somewhere in Boston. No clue what time.

11. RedZion

RedZion New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Anymore vague would be great.... ;)

12. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Sun, Sep 14, 2003
    04:00 PM (Local) Russia Womens National Team @ USA U-19 Womens National Team
    Home Depot Center

France v Japan may be at Nickerson.

Wed, Sep 10, 2003
    03:15 PM (Local) Mexico Womens National Team @ South Korea Womens Natl Team
    Home Depot Center

You got an hour. Go for it! Sorry.

Tue, Sep 16, 2003
    05:00 PM (Local) Russia Womens National Team @ South Korea Womens Natl Team
    Home Depot Center

Too bad the Chinese against the Freedom and some Charge players game will be closed game. That would be interesting. No games near me.

13. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    France vs. Japan Friendly

Saw this in an article on the official FIFA WC site:

> Japan will leave here next Wednesday for their
    > base camp in Columbus, Ohio, and play a tune-up
    > game against France on September 20 in Boston,
    > where the Frenchwomen will be based.

From this I take it there will be a friendly between France and Japan sometime BEFORE the WWC starts, which is all good and fine and I would be really excited about to go down and see except that on September 20, as the article *incorrectly* mentions, France will be taking on Norway in Philly and Japan will be kicking off against Argentina in Columbus.

Has anybody heard the *real* data, time, and venue? Can't seem to find anything on it...

14. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Sat, Sep 13, 2003
    05:30 PM (Local) Argentina Womens National Team @ South Korea Womens Natl Team
    Long Beach Veterans Stadium

Sun, Sep 14, 2003
    02:30 PM (Local) Japan Womens National Team @ France Womens Nat. Team
    Boys Varsity Field , Middlesex School , Concord, MA
    Closed Door Match

Mon, Sep 15, 2003
    12:30 PM (Local) Sweden Womens Nat.Team @ China Womens National Team
    American University, Washington DC
    WWC Training Match

15. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Anyone going? I can't - meetings in the afternoon.

16. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Re: Re: Re: Pre-WWC training and friendlies

The hodgepodge Freedom got their asses handed to 'em 8-0 today.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2003-09/13/content_1079476.htm

17. David Allan

David Allan New Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Southeastern PA
    Re: France vs. Japan Friendly

Norway vs. France IS Sept 20 at Noon in Philadelphia - it's the first real game of WWC '03 . . .

18. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Japan-France is a closed scrimmage.

19. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Also North Korea played a local college this afternoon. Found out too late.

20. gkeck

gkeck Member

Apr 5, 2002
    Southern California
    Friendly results (Results included)

S Korea 1 v Mexico 0

S Korea 2 v Argentina 1

21. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    after North Korea scored 6 goals in the 1st 15 minutes....a down pour interupted play...play resumed 30 minutes later...but no one kept score any longer....

I believe they ended up wirth about 15 goals though...

that's a report from the ref...

22. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    FRA 2 - JPN 2: WWC Tune-up - Concord, MA

FRA-JPN
    Friendly
    9-14-03
    Concord, MA
    France 2 (Pichon 2)
    Japan 2 (??)

France and Japan tied 2-2 in a WWC tuneup. It was supposed to be a closed session but was attended by a handful of people who had heard about it and could actually find the field.

France took a 2-nil lead and then Japan came back to tie it up, where the final score ended. France looked dangerous and was able to move forward on attack pretty well, but Japan controlled the ball very well and worked it up rather than being more forward-minded. Both teams looked good. I think France ran out of steam in the humid conditions.

France's both goals were scored by -- who else! -- Pichon. Both goals were beautiful. The second would've no doubt made the highlight reel had the game been for real, under the glaring lights and cameras and of a stadium. Pichon collected the ball on the 20 yard line, turned a full 180 degree by spinning on the ball seemingly in mid-air and volleyed a rocket just over the out-stretched fingers of the diving Japanese keepers fingers but just underneath the crossbar. Beautiful. All 100 on-lookers were left speachless. Pichon's fitness, skill, and experience showed in all levels of her game. She was by far the single most standout on the field, though strangely hardly anybody knew who she was.

23. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    More FRA-JPN ...

It's probably also worth a mention that France clearly controlled the 1st half. They were creating chances and making things happen. Whenever they pushed forward they were dangerous. Japan on the other hand was more calculating and controlling, wanting to always bring the ball up from the back and when things don't go their way to send it back and start over. France played a more exciting stlye while Japan played more like a chess match. France had many many chances. Japan had only a handful -- at best. Although Japan probably held the ball longer on the possession count, they were not very dangerous.

In the second half, both teams came out at a torrid pace. Watching them hustle and bustle and keep on the go was truly entertaining for a true soccer fan. But with the humidity, you knew it couldn't last. And it didn't. France seemed to tire quickly, though I must say, Pichon was still quick on her feet and making plays and being dangerous. But it seemed she had little support, which isn't to say the entire French team folded, because they didn't. Japan gained possession and continued their chess match, playing the ball from the back up on forward. They worked it from side to side and switched fields very well. About mid-way through the 2nd half, they were finally able to quite regularly penetrate the French defense and start making plays for goal. The kept pushing and were now the dangerous team. You could tell it was only a matter of time before they put one in the back of the net. France still had some breaks, all of which were started by or went through Pichon, but they also seemed to tire. Japan, continuing their push, missed on a breakaway or two before finally scoring a goal. Shortly after they netted another.

Game over. France 2 - Japan 2.

24. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    How did Homare Sawa play?

25. RedZion

RedZion New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Given the extent of the travel of Japan, it's incredible that they did so well.