Pre World Cup Friendlies (R) (and other World Cup preparatory matches for Brazil 2014)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by Iranian Monitor, Nov 15, 2013.

1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Spain recognized the softness of the call and so had Cesc sky the penalty instead of letting their regular spot kick taker Xabi Alonso having a go.
    And if the Confederations is any example it will be the hosts receiving the gifts.

2. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I'm not worried about Spain per say, but about the 'big teams' receiving preferential calls.

3. Marar4

Marar4 New Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Did you actually see the rest of the match, because if this hadn't been been a friendly Tunisia would've gotten 3-4 (flying tackle on Dries Mertens, intentiolly stepping on Jan verthongens ankle, insulting the ref, faking a fall and then, when the ref wants to call it, running of to goal because the defenders already stopped playing, and several tackles from behind which would've gotten carded as well) and Belgium would've gotten one (that leg of Jan verthongen in Issam Jemaas balls would've been red)

Ugly match, good result and in the end more worried about Lukakus injury rather than anything else.

4. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    No, just saw the sending off incident (and the goal highlight), so I'll take your word for the rest. Fact is the red that was handed out was bull.

Here is the incident in question - the Tunisian player is actually the one being fouled:

5. Marar4

Marar4 New Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Don't take my word for it, I'm a biased Belgian fan, however wasn't that him pulling Kompanys shirt more than anything else? Also he didn't get red for that, it was because he started clapping at the ref because he made a poor decision while he had been a jerk for the entire game. Naturally the ref didn't like and gave him yellow, and since one and one is two, he got send off

6. DZfennec

DZfennec Member

Jun 5, 2014
    #606 DZfennec, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    Only watched first half and only red card offence I saw was Vertonghen on Jemaa. Belgium deserved to go down to 10 men. Apart from that, there wasn't anything in the first half that merited a red card (not sure if some of what you are saying was from the first half, because some of the actions sound familiar. If so, they weren't red cards in my book at all).

7. Marar4

Marar4 New Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    #607 Marar4, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    More like several yellows which would lead to reds, the tackle on Mertens was red for sure, Mertens can be glad he jumped, also I was just reminded of the flying tackle on Van Buyten that missed, which wasn't red since it missed but flying tackles are always ugly. Also I did say that Vertonghen did deserve a red for that, but so did the player that stepped on his ankle.

Let me put it this way if you get 5 yellows and a red in a friendly, a friendly which doesn't matter, so that means they must mean something more. which is exactly what they did, they meant: "normally you'd get red, but this is a friendly so the cards don't matter and there's a game to play."

8. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    The worst fouls happened in the 2nd half ... looking at the obscene gestures in the above vid, do you get the feeling it was a friendly game? ... and yeah Vertonghen should have been sent off (or better not reacted at all at the "provocations").

9. Megabeast

Megabeast Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Honduras 0 - 0 England.

England looked feeble in attack. Utterly lacking.

Although

Honduras were persistently fouling and breaking up play. Even so, we struggle to score.

10. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    El Salvador - Spain 0:2
    60' Diego Costa, 88' David Villa
    Spain also missed a penalty in the first half (albeit a dubious one)

USA - Nigeria 2:1
    32', 69' Jozy Altidore - 86' PK Victor Moses
    You know there are problems at the back when Altidore scores two goals on you... Nigeria was missing 2 starting defenders, but they will be missing one of them permanently, while the other - Yobo - is supposedly experienced at the top level and really shouldn't be performing like this.

11. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Was Nigeria just going thru the motions. This display was a far cry from their good display against Italy. Their defense let many unmarked players in the box. Cannot do that when their names are Dzecko, Aguero, Higuian, etc...

Unak78 repped this.
  12. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I don't think Nigeria will be focusing on Aguero and Higuain. Or Messi. Whether or not they score will likely be irrelevant.

I don't think they were going through the motions, but they had no teeth up front with the immobile Amoebi and disinterested Odemwingie. Ameobi looks out of form, cuz he actually had a great game vs the said Italy. Hope there is no locker room quarrel between Mikel and Keshi due to his sub yesterday (when Mikel voiced his frustration at the lack of off the ball movement in attack).

The defence was worrying. Omeruo was out and he is pure class, despite his young age. At the moment even Egweukwe looks like an improvement on Yobo. Oboabona was largely good, although even though he also had a few minor errors.

Left back is now an issue, as Oshaniwa was out of position so many times... And he was just letting players wing him without even hustling for the ball. That said the team only seemed to fall apart and leave all kind of spaces, when Mikel left the field of play. That and maybe USA's superior form.

I would add that if this were a World Cup game USA would have picked up several cards due to tactical fouls, so they wouldn't have been as gung-ho is pulling back advancing players.

13. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    #613 zahzah, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    Actually match reports seem to claim he was red carded for handball (when in fact he was being pulled back by Kompany). According to Goal.com his clapping was a reaction to the red card - it wasn't the reason for the red.

---

Just 4 official friendlies left (with closed doors games still to be played, like USA vs Belgium):
    TODAY:
    T&T - Iran
    France
    - Jamaica

TOMORROW:
    Ghana - South Korea

TUESDAY:
    Ireland - Portugal

14. ShaRule

ShaRule Member

May 5, 2005
    Belgium - Iran
    False very false. You can clearly see he pulled and then ref wistled for a foul. After 5-10sec he aplauded and then te ref showed a yellow card.

15. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I can clearly see him being pulled - he was the player being fouled, not the other way around. Its pretty obvious. I won't dispute why he was yellow carded, although Goal.com claims differently.

Meaningless friendly - lets move on.

16. ShaRule

ShaRule Member

May 5, 2005
    Belgium - Iran
    Cant u see kompany's jersey getting pulled? You can see his whole upper body bevause of that..jeez
    Anyway he didnt get yellow for that but for aplauding afterwards.

17. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Not that it matters but I can see Kompany locking down Jemaa's arm and him trying to break free, thus pulling up Kompany's jersey. Yes, he did grab Kompany's tshirt at one point, but Kompany was the more guilty party.

18. bylbyl

bylbyl Member

May 13, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    If you haven't seen the game - don't comment on what you obviously don't know and didn't see and start questiononing goal.com as source of info. :)

19. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Is that meant to be ironic? Goal.com gets it wrong all the time.

20. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    How many times do I have to say: I accept the yellow card was handed out for something else? I said it twice already, you really want a third admittance?

I still say the initial foul was bogus - as per the above clip.

Next match :)

21. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran 2-0 Trinidad & Tobago

22. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    #622 zahzah, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    CONCACAF second tier sides not doing their confeds reputation any good in the friendly buildups to the World Cup... The French game pretty ridiculous...

Iran - Trinidad & Tobago 2:0
    45' Ehsan Hajsafi, 52' Reza Ghoochanneijhad

France - Jamaica 8:0
    17' Yohan Cabaye, 20', 66' Blaise Matuidi, 38', 63' Karim Benzema, 53' Oliver Giroud, 77', 89' Antoine Griezmann

23. BrahmaBull

BrahmaBull Member

AS Saint-Etienne
    France
    May 7, 2014
    Italy
    Club:
    AS Saint Étienne
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  24. 764dak

764dak Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Jamaica played okay against Switzerland. France was so dominant today and should easily top the group ahead of Swiss, Hondurans and Ecuadorians.

25. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Italy - Fluminense apparently 5:2