Pre-WC: Pick Your Group C Best XI

Discussion in 'GROUP C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia' started by schrutebuck, Dec 4, 2009.

1. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Re: English Goalkeepers overhyped

He's coming off the back of a good season (for him, though not for his team), there's been no real decline in hs perfromance.

I justdon't know where your getting these ideas from.

2. ussoccer0829

ussoccer0829 Red Card

Jun 28, 2009
    Club:
    --other--

As you said, it was a good season for him. It's not considered a good season for a world class goalie.

3. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chaouchi is terrible. He is their backup. I'm talking about Gaouaoui

4. GiorgioMoretti

GiorgioMoretti New Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Udine
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hey Chaouchi is much better than Gaouaoui. The problem with Chaouchi, is consistency. Sometimes he pulls of some Buffon games and sometimes James:p

5. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

He's not World Class, but then again neither is any other goalkeeper in the group.

6. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree Chaouchi has more saves of the spectacular variety than Gaouaoui, but that's mostly because he's out of position to begin with ;)

7. ussoccer0829

ussoccer0829 Red Card

Jun 28, 2009
    Club:
    --other--

I might just be bias, but I think Howard has proved that he is World Class. 2 years ago he stoned Argentina who had 6-7 shots saved by Howard that should of been goals 90 out of times. He also stood on his head against Spain and was amazing.

8. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006

A coupleof games doesn't make a keeper World Class. David James is excellent on his day, one of the best shot stoppers in the history of the Premier League. But shot-stopping alone does not make a keeper World Class.

In many ways it's funny that you slag off James so much as the main flaw of his career which has stopped him attaining that level is the same as the main flaw of Howard, i.e. both are a bit suspect on crosses. They both are far too eager to come out and claims balls or to try to punch them away.

9. Madglover

Madglover New Member

Jun 6, 2010
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC

Green
    Johnson Terry King A.Cole
    Lennon Barry Gerrard Donovan
    Rooney Defoe

For me

10. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Personally I still want Hart. He is a good player, he's only 23 and he was the stand-out keeper in the Premiership this year for a pretty decent Birmingham side. I also thought he was good for the 45 mins he was given against Japan, he made an amazing save and was otherwise solid.

Still I do understand that he is a bit of a risk, having only 3 England caps. But he''s clearly the best in this group and I'm sure starting from the Euro qualifiers he will have the no.1 spot nailed down for a very long time.

11. Madglover

Madglover New Member

Jun 6, 2010
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    I personally think Hart is a bit erratic to be first choice. Green seems to be the sensible choice. James is purely for experience and Hart is still a bti risky and he has terrible distribution.

Although Hart is probably the best shot stopper.

12. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Precisely. Hart was good in both friendlies, not just the Japan match. He is the best penalty stopper we have, has a confident style about him, and good decision maker. The future #1 for England.

Capello has been reluctant to hand over the reins this close to the WC, but Hart will leave him no choice eventually.

13. ussoccer0829

ussoccer0829 Red Card

Jun 28, 2009
    Club:
    --other--

No doubt Howard has some flaws but just about every Goalie in the world does. Even the best 2 or 3 Goalies have some flaws. He has definitely proved that he is a top Goalie in the Premier League and possibly a World Class Goalie. I would say he is one of the Top 15 Goalies in the World.

14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

^^^dunno mate, howard isn't that great to me

harts distribution won't be a problem if he can just hoof it up to heskey

15. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Yes but top 15 doesnt make you world class, if Howard was truly world class he would be playing for a better team than Everton right now.

16. ussoccer0829

ussoccer0829 Red Card

Jun 28, 2009
    Club:
    --other--

So are you saying that a guy like Aguero is not World Class because he played for the team that got 9th in La Liga. Howard is not in the same class as guys like Buffon, Casillas, Julio Cesar and Cech but he is in the next category with guys like Given, Akinfeev, Adler, Frey, Lloris, Reina, Van Der Sar. I think you can say that he is the 4th or 5th best Goalie in the Premier League after Cech, Van Der Sar, Reina and maybe Given. I might rank Howard higher then most do but I watch him closer then most do.

17. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

If he is not in the first category but the second, and the second one is "world-class" then what is the first one called?

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you on Howard, just pointing out that you essentially just conceded unless you claim that this second tier you say he belongs to is world-class.

18. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006

Howard is a good Premiership keeper, last season he was probably about the 4th best keeper in the Premiership, this season he's been fairly mediocre. Not crap by any means, but it's easy to pick out plenty of keepers who have done more for their clubs this year.

he's a decent, even good Prmeier League keeper and if you defintion of World Class encompasses decent Premier League keepers then he's World Class. But if you think he's miles ahead of guys like Green and James then you're mistaken

19. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Aguerro is not world class, I suppose our definitions differ. For Aguerro to be world class he would have to be in the same league as Messi,Villa,Torres, Rooney and Ronaldo which he is not.

For Howard to be world class he needs to be in the same class as Cassillias, Buffon and Cesar. He is clearly a level below this good but not world class.

20. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you just go from the sound of it you might think world class is being able to play in any league in the world, but I think it means being in the same class as the best player in the world at your position. By that definition, the number of world class American soccer players is: still zero.

I like Howard just the same, especially since he's so much better than Hahnemann.

21. ussoccer0829

ussoccer0829 Red Card

Jun 28, 2009
    Club:
    --other--

I agree that he is not as good as the best in the world but my classification of World Class is different then yours. I agree though that he is not loads better then Green but I do think he is a lot better then James. Its just my opinion that James is the most overrated Goalie in the world and should be retired by now since he is not good anymore. Thats just my opinion though.

22. Frosty

Frosty Member

May 29, 2008

Does your version of World class classes have sets then, like 'set A' for the top dogs, 'set B' for the not quite good enough for 'set A' but better than 'set C' who are not able to get a final exam result which will match the percentage that 'set A' can achieve?
    Or something else maybe?
    Enlighten us.

Maybe you should phone Capello and let him know. ;)

23. Madglover

Madglover New Member

Jun 6, 2010
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC

I think this group has a set of very equal but very average keepers.

Howard is probably on a par with James who is slightly worse than Hart and Green. I'd say Green is the top keeper in this group he is the only one who adept at dealing with crosses, shots and has good distribution. 3 other three all fall down in one of these categories. Hart can't distribute the ball, Howard is a poor shot stopper and James is a calamity under crosses.

24. GoonerAg

GoonerAg New Member

Jun 3, 2010
    H-town, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm new to the place, but Howard is currently the best GK in Group C. As far as the other discussions on whether he's world class or not. I'd say he's damn good, but probably not in the top tier. However, he doesn't need to be world class to be the best keeper in Group C. He would start and there really shouldn't be a debate.

That's all I've got, but glad I found Bigsoccer.

25. ACRealUnitedFC SpA

ACRealUnitedFC SpA New Member

May 7, 2008
    John O'Shea

John O'Shea John O'Shea John O'Shea John O'Shea

John O'Shea John O'Shea John O'Shea John O'Shea

John O'Shea John O'Shea

Oh, wait ... nope, won't work.