Pre-season

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Lazy Assed Assassin, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    1-1 draw with Leyton Orient.

Maybe the hangover from or proximity to the Euros. Maybe it’s knowing regardless of wether Kane is here or not, he will have one foot out the door or Nuno was fifth or sixth choice, but I’m just not enthused about their season yet.

Drawing 1-1 with a League 2 side didn’t help. I know it was a glorified training session with mostly youth players.

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  2. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Only saw highlights on yt. They looked good 1st half. Looked like the youngsters came on 2nd half? And didn't do so well? idk
    Moura looked good, confident. I think the first team will be ready.

3. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Pre-season friendlies don't really give you any idea how good the team is, I remember a few seasons back, Darren Bent scored 9 goals in 5 pre-season games and everyone was raving about how he was going to walk the Golden Boot - but then the real games started and he was a total dud.

And often the reverse happens - a youngster shows well in the friendlies and then the manager banishes him to cold storage - think of Japhet Tanganga in Poch's last season - for some reason, Poch refused to play him despite our defense being mostly shite.

4. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I couldn't be happier that we have the Euros behind us (though I'll still pay attention to the Gold Cup) and I can concentrate on what matters - Spurs. If Harry stays, if he goes, if he's grumpy, if Nuno sucks, if we suck ... whatever. It's Spurs. Bring it.

5. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Hard to believe Coco was here for eight years since he was only healthy for half of that time. I will miss his penchant for shithousery.

pookspur and Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  6. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    After watching some highlights of Gil, I'm really hoping this deal happens.

7. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Fabrizio Romano saying it's essentially done; at the paperwork stage. Gil to Spurs and Lamela plus 25m euros to Sevilla.

Some ITK from SC (Hercules) saying that Levy is being very 'hands off' and letting Paratici get on with his job.

That second bit makes the first bit slightly more believable, but the seasoned Spurs fan takes his grain of salt, regardless.

For whatever it's worth, Herc has also claimed that everyone - players, staff, etc. - is quite impressed with how NES operates. There seems to be a very good feel around the place, which would be the exact opposite of what I expected after such a long managerless interlude, aka 'the debacle'.

8. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    [​IMG]

BalanceUT and pookspur repped this.
  9. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Spurs handled Colchester 3-0. Son with a goal and 2 assists. Dele and Lucas with the other goals.

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  10. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    In 8 seasons, Lamela scored 17 league goals in 177 appearances. The season prior to signing with Spurs, he scored 15 goals in Serie A for Roma.

11. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Yes, this has been an eerily Levy-less off season. I think the combined Mourinho-Super League-various manager-hire eff-ups meant the chairman had to take a lower profile. Long may it continue. Plus Paratici is the first director of football we have had who actually has extensive experience in negotiating deals.

12. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    By all accounts Skipp looked very good in his 45 minutes against Colchester.

Oliver Skipp was Superb vs. Colchester | 21/07/21 | 1080HD - YouTube

Doesn't fanny about on the ball, gets it and moves it on, often forward. Nothing misplaced, or even close to it. Some very nice releases; the cross-pitch diagonal to Bergwijn from :45 is sublime. It's preseason at Colchester, so ... steady on. I won't get carried away. But very much the kind of player we've been desperately needing for the last couple years.

What's more, (supposedly) according to Alasdair Gold, Skipp has returned from Norwich a much more confident, vocal presence, as well. It sounds as though it was a loan that worked exactly as it should. Naarch certainly got a player that greatly assisted in their promotion season, and Skipp appears to have taken a big step in his development. Of course, it's a massive, massive step up from the Championship to the sharp end of the Prem (where we'll hopefully be), so big question marks remain. But I'll take my encouragement wherever I find it.

13. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Wow didn't know that, what a variance. I wonder why he do so poorly in PL. Had plenty of chances to score it seemed, but rarely finished.
    Bergwijn seems to be taking on the same fate. Gets chances but rarely finishes.

14. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    We have had way too many midfielders who don't score, don't assist, don't create chances and don't tackle. I would take Skipp ahead of any of those.

15. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I am encouraged that Nuno seems to want to play an energetic, physical style. Jose thought the problem was that the players weren't assholes. "Just sit back in your own half and be an asshole" was not entertaining, nor was it especially successful. Let's see some football - daring, doing and all of that.

16. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    The third kit is atrocious

17. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I haven't seen a third kit yet. If it's worse than our away kit* - which is staggeringly bad - it must be ghastly.

[​IMG]

18. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Home is brilliant though, it must be said. Take away the sponsor(s) and it's pretty much perfect.

Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  19. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    oh dear. I saw that assumed it was the third kit given how bad it was. Sod’s law we’ll win something this season in that kit.

20. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    That kit reminds of those sweet and sour jawbreaker candies.

21. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    We've beaten MKDons 3-1. Anyone see it? How'd we look?

22. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    We looked pretty good. Should have scored about 5 more goals, but finishing was a bit indecisive and their keeper made some good stops. The front 4 of Bergwyn, Alli, Son and Moura are ready to play. Bergwyn is really making a good impression in preseason - doing everything but scoring (unfortunate, that). Skipp was very good again - Winks should leave, as Skipp seems to be ahead of him. Whiteman gave up a PK in the 5th minute, but saved it. Had a great save on a free kick. The goal was not his fault, it came off a weird deflection. Most of the starters played 75+ minutes. Still no sign of Sessegnon - what is up with him?

pookspur repped this.
  23. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    At least, seeing that kit in action against MK Dons, the resemblance to a bathroom countertop is less obvious.

But this, though...

tottenham-21-22-third-kit-1.jpg

24. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    What the hell is that? Surely it's not our third kit?