Pre-Season Thread! (R) (News, etc...)

Discussion in 'Olympique de Marseille' started by MetroChile, Jul 12, 2009.

1. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  2. Droitaubut15

Droitaubut15 New Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Decent win minus the big name off season signings.

3. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We supposedly played pretty well, but I didn't get to see it. Should be able to watch the rest of the games, I guess. Hopefully Lucho and everyone can play against Ajaccio.

I always have thought it was weird that we play so many French teams in preseason.

4. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Is the team staying in Marseille for the whole pre-season?

5. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, they travel around playing in small stadiums in smaller towns.

6. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  7. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We played pretty well in the first half, probably should have scored two or three. Brandao was ineffectual, which is probably unfortunate for him amongst all these rumors linking us with a new striker.

A few of the young guys, especially Kabore and Bocaly, looked really good in the second half. Interesting to see a few real young guys get in, too. Sort of unfortunate they'll only be playing in CFA-2 this season.

8. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  9. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, we played alright, although Lucho was pretty poor. I'm not too worried. We hit the post two or three times, and Carrasso had to make one or two pretty nice stops. But I think it ultimately came down to our players not really being used to playing together, and that will come with time.

Brandao and Valbuena made a difference when they came on. The lineup with Niang as lone striker that started the match didn't really work out, so it's pretty evident we either need to have Brandao starting or bring in another true striker. But it's just preseason, I'm sure Deschamps was just sort of experimenting.

10. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Wait, is Valbuena still playing for L'OM? I could have sworn he and Deschamps spoke upon DD's arrival and they agreed that there was no place for him in the squad. That's great news if the wee guy is still around, always enjoyed his enthusiastic play.

11. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No agreements have been made as far as him and Cana leaving, so I guess Deschamps figured he might as well get them in the game in case they end up sticking around.

12. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Valbuena should be kept. Why bother wasting money brining in someone else when you dont need to. He wants to be a starter well there arent many big clubs in Europe he could start for because he just doesnt have that pedigree so he should just stay and except his role.

13. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. I'd much rather keep Valbuena than sell him and buy Menez.

14. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i watched this match and what stuck in my mind the most was how pathetic the announcers were; they weren't regular C+ guys, i think they were sent by olympieskaya pravda.

even when bernard lacombe did OL matches on OLTV he told it like it was (and worse! he didn't keep his tongue in his pocket!)

on and on about how great everything in white and blue was, especially lucho... could be, could be, but the praise seemed all the more fulsome against a backdrop of goats running around in a white uniforms.

the funniest was when they were giving an "overall view of the recruits": during those 3 minutes cyril rool was playing like a god... and didn't get his name mentioned!

not to be completely negative: niang was good, natch, ben arfa too. and brandao was indeed unlucky to hit the post like that.

15. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    valbuena was pretty good too.

he'll probably end up staying at OM, but that's simply because he's getting no offers. but if i were him i'd try to go to grenoble, montpellier, some club where he would do a lot of good.

16. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was Michel Hidalgo on the commentary, though, so you sort of have to expect that.

Anyway, 1-0 so far today against Toulouse. Kone with the goal, off a nice center by Bocaly. He may challenge Bonnart to start at right back.

17. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally just jinxed him. He got hurt, and now Kabore is going to come on for him.

18. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  19. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.