News: Pre-season 2021 - The Hernan-era Begins!

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Mar 16, 2021.

1. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa.

But it seems like a legit strategy. Many teams will have more talent but if you have young, relatively cheap players and they can simply run faster longer you can win some high-scoring games while on a budget.

We shall see.

tallguy repped this.
  2. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    I hope it works, but I've got to admit I'm a little concerned about how this "high intensity" approach to the game is going to work in June/July/August...

majspike, Eastern Bear and ImNumberTen repped this.
  3. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, did the team recently hire Pilates trainers?

4. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I love this guy already. I think he came in and saw that we were physically unprepared, and that's probably why, on average, we've suffered more practice/off field injuries than pretty much any other team in the league during the Olsen era.

JRHokie, Eastern Bear, Von Zee and 5 others repped this.
  5. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Not just that, but Brilliant is inferring that we had no identity before now.

Like even Benny Ball wasnt a real thing.

#DCU CB Fred Brillant: "The last 2 games, you can see now we have identity, and we know exactly where we are going. So it's a good thing for everybody. It's a good thing for the club, for the players ... we want to press the opponent ... the pressing is very intense, very high"

6. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apropos of the Losada Era Begins discussion: Does anybody know what Ben Olsen is doing these days (besides painting)? I know he's still on salary for a period of time, but is he still here? Does he go to the office?

7. The Ghost of Hamdi Salihi

DC United, Brighton
    Scotland
    Jan 17, 2020
    Pleasant Plains, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Losada from yesterday's video call: “I don’t focus too much on results, especially the first months.”

I am not down with that.

8. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To high press like that and not get broken on counters you have to be fit, really fit, fitter than what others call fit.

9. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He shouldn't. He doesn't want to play bennyball to not lose as that doesn't get you where you need to be. This is going to be like Almedya with San Jose before his system stuck. They got hammered. Then - they started to get in sync with the system and fortunes changed.

DC isn't going to make progress if they don't progress on their tactics in every match.

Eastern Bear, TowsonDad, Von Zee and 5 others repped this.
  10. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    You've been down with it for 10 years, whats another couple months gonna do?

11. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I’m selecting seats tomorrow. Are there going to be any left?? Thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks.

12. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't look like there's many left, and the cheapest ones are $130 per ticket.

13. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No idea what he's up to with DCU but judging by his Instagram feed he's doing quite a bit with his art. And he's not bad at all. https://www.instagram.com/benolsenart/

Glad to see United supporting the arts! :D

Attached Files:

sitruc, shawn12011, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  14. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Badass.

ImNumberTen repped this.
  15. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Bolivar and Robertha adding to our team of forwards I wonder if Sorga is safe. I don't think he has played in our preseason matches and I've not heard that he was injured. I rather liked what I saw from him last season, although the bar is set very low.

16. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    With Robertha, Kamara and Reyna on the team, expect Bolivar and Sorga to ply their trade in Loudoun this season. The "tweener" in this mix is Perez who has gotten minutes. Smith and Yow also are in that mix as well. My guess is that one of Kamara or Reyna gets moved this season (if anyone would take them). If DCU wants to become a "selling team", then they should be giving time to Yow, Smith, Sorga and Bolivar over Reyna or Kamara.

Winoman repped this.
  17. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Ugh. Thanks.

18. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm a player, I love this. Not only is there an overarching plan to play to, but there is a clear path to get onto the field. If I can be the fittest and run all day, I'll play, simple as that.

This has always been a problem for me with Olsen teams, but I wasn't really confident enough to trust what I thought I was seeing. They didn't lack desire, but instead endurance. They were never as good as they could be with things they could control somewhat like fitness and set pieces. With a talent deficit most seasons, that's never a winning formula.

tallguy repped this.
  19. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw on the Twitters that the home opener is "sold out". People who had selection windows for today were told that they'd get priority for the next home game.

Winoman repped this.
  20. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That means that people are taking them up on the offer. My parents got their tickets. I've opted out for this LAFC season as my children aren't vaccinated. Onto next year.

fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  21. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Lets see, he can't possibly have the full or maybe even have the players he wants given how late he was hired. His system is a significant departure from what we have played in the past. We let Ben hang by a thread for a decade ... we can let this guy slide for more than a few weeks/months.

Pretty much the same concern here. The wife and I are set, but the 11yo will prolly get his as soon as he hits 12 in September, but the 5 yo is going to be hanging forever it seems.

JRHokie repped this.
  22. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    J&J will be recruiting in the US soon for their trial.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04535453#contacts

Winoman repped this.
  23. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    And there seemed to be a definite pattern of not being ready for the season to start. I'd be curious what the opening day record was, though.

Yowza and Winoman repped this.
  24. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matias Pellegrini to D.C. United?

GumbyG repped this.
  25. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see us going for this. I mean, Argentine, check. Energetic, check. But we have a dozen similar players rostered, some of whom we haven't even seen yet.

If we were the kind of team that just splashes money, sure. But come summer we're going to have some specific gaps to fill and the $2M or whatever bargain we manage for Pellegrini will start to look like an anchor around our collective necks.

shawn12011 repped this.