PRE/PBP/POST: Week 3: Palermo v Carpi 9/13 15:00 (9:00 EDT)

Discussion in 'Palermo' started by Salvatore Giuseppe, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    #1 Salvatore Giuseppe, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    Palermo game on my birthday. 3 points would be a satisfying present

And, I'll finally have internet in my apartment tomorrow, after a week and a half hiatus, so I can resume talking to myself on this forum.

With Gilardino now in the team and Struna out due to his red card, the line up should write itself this time, with the only question whether Iachini sticks with the 3-4-3 or reverts to the 3-5-2. I fully expect Trajkovski to return to the bench

Vazquez-Gilardino-Quiason
    Lazaar-Jajalo-Rigoni-Rispoli
    El Kaoutari-Gonzalez-Vitiello

or

----------Vazquez-Gilardino-------------
    Lazaar-Chochev-Jajalo-Rigoni-Rispoli
    -----El Kaoutari-Gonzalez-Vitiello-----

--------------------------------------------------------------

No clue about who to pay attention to pay attention to on, Carpi, their 3 goals have come from 3 different players with 3 other, different players providing assists.

Their formations in the last two games were very different. One was a 4-4-1-1, the other was a 3-5-1-1

---------------------------------------------------------------

This one ought to be 3 easy points, Carpi has lost both of its games so far, 2-1 at home to Inter and 5-2 away at Sampdoria.

That said, in the only 2 matchups in at least the last 20 years, while Palermo was back in Serie B, Carpi won both outings, first 1-0 at home and then 2-1 in Palermo, despite Palermo's record-setting title winning season and Carpi finishing decidely midtable.

harrylee773 and Sal repped this.
  2. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still here to talk Palermo with you, friend. Looks like this game will be shown on BeIN Sports 3 (Online only) for those with a cable subscription that includes BeIN Sports. I'm kind of unsure about this one, as it's been two weeks since the last game- hoping our form holds through the extended break. Another win on the road would be great, but I'd definitely be happy splitting the points here.

3. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Lineup: Sorrentino; Vitiello, Pipo, El Kaoutari; Rispoli, Hiljemark, Jajalo, Lazaar; Quaison, Vazquez; Gilardino

Bench: Alastra, Colombi; Andelkovic, Goldaniga, Daprelà; Brugman, Chochev, Maresca; Cassini, Djurdjevic, Trajkovski

So Rigoni, who's had some foot issues this week, is out of the squad. Hiljemark comes in. As expected Gilardino comes in for Trajkovski.

Formation is given as a 3-4-2-1, playing Quaison and Vazquez behind Gila, which is probably the best position for those two.

Palermo had great success (unsurprisingly) when they had Illicic and Pastore playing behind Miccoli in a similar formation. Hope this turns out the same.

Carpi, btw, playing a 3-5-2 of people I've never heard of. Numbers in the center will be important in the game. Quaison and Vazquez will have to help out

4. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Goooooooooooooool

Hiljemark

Quaison runs down the wing and puts a deflected cross in. It falls right to Hiljemark's feet and he scores 5 minutes into his first start

harrylee773 repped this.
  5. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy birthday, @Salvatore Giuseppe ! Goal was scored right as I was getting the BeIN Sports feed to work on the Apple TV, so I missed it. Hopefully a couple of additional Palermo goals are in order.

6. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DERP. I'm still learning the ropes here, but it certainly looks like we're at home today...

7. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    let off as Carpi skies a shot from the penalty spot...No idea how they got there

8. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    another really well worked play from Carpi. deflection not seen and its a goal kick.

Palermo a little loose at the back so far. Good thing the attack seems to be warming up.

9. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Beautiful cross from Rispoli, but Benussi (who I missed on the team, an ex-Rosanero who used to back up Sirigu) comes out well

10. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    And there it is. The Carpi goal. 1-1.

Player cuts in well from the left gets past his man, and the ball makes its way home off some bodies.

All their attacks are coming from out wide on Palermo's left side. Something for Iachini to look at.

11. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess the shutout streak had to end some time.

12. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    It'll go down as an own goal from Vitiello, but the threat was from Jerry Mbakogu, who is, apparently, an ex-rosanero, having spent a year on loan with the Primavera squad back in 2009-10.

13. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Palermo didn't have the run of play as much as I would've liked, but Capri didn't have too many legitimate chances with the possession. Still, I think it's fortunate to be tied at half.

14. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Yeah. I think we get a second though. As I pointed out, basically everything from Carpi came from one place (and potentially one guy, my stream makes it tough to tell). If Iachini can cancel that threat out, we should be good.

harrylee773 repped this.
  15. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what changes were made at halftime, but definitely having a better second half so far.

16. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Carpi putting 7 and 8 in the box when defending. Its going to take a bit of genius for a second goal.

Might be time to take Gila off for a more active striker

17. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No sooner do I type than Carpi has a solid few minutes of possession with a few dangerous chances.

18. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Boriello scores basically straight from the bench.

1-2 Carpi. Palermo got lazy in defense again

19. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Less than 5 minutes left here, and AC Milan on the road next week. Not looking good...

20. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    2-2 Djurdjevic. Goals for all the new guys. Gotta say, poor from the keeper, but its as good as any other.

Still should be winning this, but at least it will only be a draw. Once it got to 1-1, it was always going to be difficult to score given how many Carpi was defending with

21. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice header off of a one hopper!

22. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the second one was right at the keeper, but hard to blame him with the bounce the ball took before getting headed in- I'm sure he'd like another crack at it, though.

4 minutes added.

23. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would've liked the full three points here, but one's better than none. Pretty entertaining match at least.

24. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Even despite the draw we are still tied on points with 2nd place.

Milan lost today 1-0 to Inter and currently sit in 12th place.

harrylee773 repped this.