PRE/PBP/POST: Week 1: Palermo v Genoa 8/23 20:45 (2:45 EDT)

Discussion in 'Palermo' started by Salvatore Giuseppe, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Match is on Sky Calcio 4 (Italian) and BT Sport Europe (English)

Formation and Squad News

Given a week off, I'd expect basically the same line up as in the Coppa Italia game. No new injuries to speak of so far.

---------Vazquez-Belotti-----------
    ------Chochev-Jajalo-Rigoni------
    Lazaar----------------------Rispoli
    -----ElKat-Gonzalez-Vitiello------
    ------------Sorrentino(c)-----------

If (God forbid) Belotti is sold like some rumors are claiming has basically already been done, who knows. I assume that (again God forbid) it is happening, it won't go through until we sign somebody, but if its Gilardino, he is not going to be fit to start yet.

Only change I'd consider making is dropping one of those midfield three (my choice would be Rigoni) for Quaison. However I think he might be being held back due to not having a true back up for Lazaar right now. Struna who has played at RWB wasn't in the squad for the cup match. And Morganella is both still unsigned and injured. Not really sure though. All of our CMs are pretty true middle of the field players. But if the last friendly against Gijon is any indication, Quiason came on for a WB in that game (but played centrally, they switched to a 4-3-1-2).

But at this stage in the season, who knows. Palermo has a glut of players that can play in those middle three spots. Iachini might decide to try a few others out.

--------------------
    Opposition

As for Genoa, after 17th, 17th and 14th place finishes in consecutive years, they pulled off an astounding run last year, finishing 6th and qualifying for the Europa League. Except they forgot to turn in their paperwork, so then they didn't qualify for Europa League and it went to Sampdoria instead. As a result, they are a seeded team for the Coppa Italia, and thus didn't play last week. Instead they travelled to Spain to take on Celta Vigo in a friendly, getting demolished 4-0 (3-0 at half time), in a game even the official Genoa site could only describe as
    They've lost 3 out of their top 5 scorers from last year, including star player Iago Falque, who led the team with 13 goals. Their biggest acquisition was to make Leonardo Pavoletti's loan for the second half of last season permanent.

Other significant acquisitions will see the return of both Ezequiel Munoz and Samir Ujkani after both left Palermo in the offseason. Munoz on less than friendly terms. Ujkani will likely be on the bench, but Munoz may start.

It also sees the return of manager Gian Piero Gasperini who had not one but two miserable coaching stints during Palermo's relegation season in 2012-13.

----------------------
    Prediction

This should be a win for Palermo. Genoa look unlikely to repeat their season from last year. But Palermo aren't always known to perform at their best. Early losses, and the subsequent early managerial changes are a way of life. Lets hope it doesn't happen this year.

2. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any (legal) streams/TV or place in Chicago, USA that might be showing this?

3. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    There should be plenty of illegal streams, given its being broadcast in Italian and English (on an England/Ireland channel). Both provide legal streams but only for customers, so thats probably a no-go in the US.

It won't be on BeIN who holds the US Serie A rights, I think thats the only way any games will ever be available to watch the legal way. And unfortunately, it sounds like they are planning on putting more focus on the Spanish league. They only have one live Serie A broadcast scheduled this weekend, on Saturday, plus a tape delayed game that evening, and 2 tape delayed games Sunday.

Meanwhile they'll be the Barca and Real Madrid games live on both their English and Spanish channels. The latter is the same time as Palermo's game. I've tried to find a full Serie A broadcast schedule for BeIN, but it appears there isn't one. Or else, I'm just really bad at finding it.

I have a feeling its going to be a lot of stream hopping this season. The switch from ESPN to BeIN was one of the main reasons I kind of fell away from Serie A the last couple of years, it used to be a lot easier to watch more games.

4. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I prefer not to stream illegally, but for the past two seasons, I haven't had much choice. BeIN had a really scattershot streaming option last year, and even when they did have Palermo games to stream that they weren't showing on TV, the stream worked as often as it didn't. Assuming we can keep these preview threads going for the duration of the season, I'll do my best to post any viewing options I come across.

It'd be nice if Serie A had an ESPN3/NASL-type arrangement in the future- it's just not as fun to watch crappy streams in foreign languages (I think I found a couple of games in Arabic last year) when HD streaming exists.

5. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Yeah I know what you mean. Sadly I think BeIN owns Serie A rights until like 2019 or something, even though they don't seem to have any desire to show it.

Problem is the also own La Liga, Bundesliga and Ligue 1 rights. And those first two are likely much more popular in the US right now.

6. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
  7. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As of today, BeIN Sports Comnect shows the game on their schedule, so if they have their shit together this season there's a good chance that it will be legally streamable for those who get the channel as part of their cable package. I'm planning to head to Palermo Bakery in my old neighborhood before the game to grab some cannolis to enjoy the game with. Seems like the right thing to do.

8. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    How many Serie A games do they show being streamed that way? I don't get BeIN, and I can't get it to show me a schedule without logging in.

Either that or I'm looking in the wrong place

9. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't seem to show the Palermo game anymore: http://www.beinsportsconnect.tv/schedule

I don't think I was logged in, because I was on mobile, and it's impossible to stay logged into their site. I log into content sites via DirecTV using a neighbor's email (our building was wired ages ago as a single unit) and BeIN Sports always logs me out and forces me to log in with email to their site and then again to DirecTV for some reason. Anyway, there was a whole slate of games that were listed and aren't there any more, so not sure whether the game will be streamed there or not. I can always bootleg a stream, but when BeIN connect works it's great because the quality is good enough for me to watch via Apple TV through my iPad. I'll keep an eye out to see if it updates.

10. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Even though I don't get BeIN, it'd be nice to know that they at least were streaming several of the games. 2 live games a week is pathetic coverage.

11. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Looks like it will be on BeIN's streaming service. They'll have 5/8 games on there, including the Juve and Milan games they are showing on tape delay later in the day. All in all, not terrible coverage. Hopefully they'll be a few more games on actual TV in future weeks though.
    Screen Shot 2015-08-22 at 9.04.25 AM.png

harrylee773 repped this.
  12. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see I wasn't imagining seeing the game listed yesterday, even if I still can't find the listing. It'd definitely be nice to have more Serie A on regular TV, though.

13. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    You have to go to the "TV Guide" screen from the BeIN homepage. For whatever reason, those channels don't show up on the 'Schedule' page if you click through to the BeIN Connect page

14. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
  15. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Callups for the match:
    PORTIERI: Alastra, Colombi, Sorrentino.
    DIFENSORI: Andelkovic, Daprelà, El Kaoutari, Goldaniga, Gonzalez, Lazaar, Pezzella, Rispoli, Struna, Vitiello.
    CENTROCAMPISTI: Benali, Brugman, Chochev, Hiljemark, Jajalo, Quaison, Rigoni.
    ATTACCANTI: Bentivegna, Cassini, La Gumina, Trajkovski, Vazquez.

No real surprises here, but that attack is real thin. Trajkovski is 22, the rest are all 19 years old. Djurdjevic is still in Serbia getting his visa sorted out.

Most likely options to start up top are either Cassini or Quaison I think. Iachini said in a press conference today that Trajkovski is similar in style to Quaison, but that the latter has a little something more. i assume that means Quaison would be picked ahead of him. Cassini would offer more of a true striker option but is completely untested; a Quaison-Vazquez pairing would be two CAMs being played up top, but both have proven capable goal scorers.

16. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Squad news for the two teams:

Palermo:
    Injured: Bolzoni (out), Struna (doubtful, also doubtful he'd play anyways)
    Unavailable: Djurdjevic (no visa yet)

Genoa:
    Injured: Perin, Tambe, Figueiras, Munoz, Perotti
    Suspended: Izzo (red card last day of last season), Rincon, Pavoletti*, Cofie (all suspended after the fact for actions on the last day of the season, Cofie's was while at Chievo)
    *also injured

17. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Starting XI: Sorrentino; Vitiello, Gonzalez, El Kaoutari; Rispoli, Rigoni, Jajalo, Chochev, Lazaar; Quaison, Vazquez

Bench: Colombi; Andelkovic, Goldaniga, Daprelà, Struna; Benali, Brugman, Hiljemark; Bentivegna, Cassini, La Gumina, Trajkovski

So Quaison gets the start over any of the untested strikers. Will be interested to see how the scoring goes. Its a very creative midfield. But will anybody be there to finish?

-------------
    Genoa

Starting XI (3-4-3): Lamanna; De Maio, Burdisso, Marchese; Cissokho, Kucka, Costa, Laxalt; Lazovic, Pandev, Ntcham

Bench: Ujkani; Sommariva, Capel, Parente, Delli Carri, Panico, Ierardi, Tachtsidis, Gulli, Ghiglione

Genoa only names 10 out of an allowable 12 players to the bench, as a result of their many absences. Most of them are youth players

Sommariva, Parente, Panico and Ghiglione are 18, Delli Carri, Ierardi, and Gulli are 17,

Only Ujkani, the back up keeper, capel, and Tachtsidis are senior players.

18. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Palermo caught out a bit on a counter. Good save from Sorrentino

19. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Pandev getting all the good chances for Genoa. Nothing of note for Palermo yet.

Sorrentino's had to make a few good saves already. Defense isn't quite on the same page yet

20. SerieAforCereal

May 24, 2015
    Rafa's Cave
    Club:
    US Sassuolo Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Bar pander your palermo looks to be the superior side today

21. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    2015-16 Post count: 3

Rigoni off the cross bar

22. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wouldn't be Palermo without a ball hitting the frame. So close there.

23. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Early sub, Chochev comes off for Trajkovski.

odd move? Not sure if he was injured, who knows.

24. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He looked a bit surprised to be coming off...

25. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Trajkovski playing further up, before that sub was made one of my thoughts was that Palermo was playing exactly like what you would expect from a team essentially playing a 3-7-0 formation.

Trajkovski is more of a winger/striker option