Pre/PBP/Post USWNT vs Japan II (7pm Cary, NC)

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kool-aide, May 16, 2011.

1. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    When haven't the U.S. been #1? Since 2003 it's most likely the 3 weeks post WWC when no friendlies are played :rolleyes:

I actually advocate USA playing to their athletic strengths more, as it's the one thing they still have over many top nations. Playing the current 4-4-2 doesn't do anything to help them though, while playing Llyod as the AM #10 in a 2 CM partnership is a brain fart.

You don't put Lylod in a more advanced role within this midfield because it will help her direct the play more, do you? Of course Sundhage has moved her to get better chances at goals. What other reason is there for Sundhage to gamble on her most Mr Magoo like CM option, other than she has a great shot and powerful demeanor in the final 3rd of the field.

In every game except the opener I can remember the duo of Boxx and Chalupny. Osborne then clicks into memory vs England and Brazil. Llyod was invisible as a starter.

You can guarantee she'll be far more visible if she's invisible this time around.:p

2. galsoccer907

galsoccer907 New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Galveston
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nogueira and Cheney also got their first caps as teenagers as well I think. I believe Nogueira was 17 and Cheney was 18 or 19, but don't quote me on that.

I think exposing young players to the national stage younger is very beneficial to their development personally.

3. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Nogueira is almost the anti-Lloyd-- almost the exact opposite strengths and weaknesses. It was hardly strange that she got a look given the strentgth of her positive attributes, but hardly surprising that it hasn't worked out.

In Pia's time we haven't seen a very young American prospect with the promise of Chalupny, or HAO or Cheyney. There's no point in looking at teen-agers simply because they are young. Certainly Ms Pryce didn't cover herself with glory in the game I recall.

4. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    disagree with this statement.

5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Me too.

We have, I think, seen a player with possibly more promise in Morgan.

6. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    She looked promising until the last game against Japan and majicJack.

At the same time, ARod looked blah until the games against Japan and her last club game. ;)

7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    :confused: Morgan debuted at quite a normal age.:confused:

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought taosjohn meant as promising as Chalu/HAO/Cheney at 17-18? I don't think Morgan fits that.

iirc (which could be wrong), Morgan had a hella U20 2008 tournament at 19 but until that squad/qualifying hadn't been viewed as so supremely talented at that early age (17-18) to get a USWNT look. At least not in the way HAO was.

Nairn did get USWNT camp/looks from Pia as a teen (her PSU bio says she got a camp look in Jan 2008 but the ussf site says 2009--I'm too lazy to fact check. Both agree her first cap came in 2009, when she was 19). Her drop in form in 2010, especially in the 2010 U20 WWC, makes this early cap seem ridiculous. But I didn't think she looked completely lost in her brief appearances -- that's the thing w/ youth players some stars get passed by late bloomers as they reach adulthood.

Here's a fun fact: Nogueira is an '89 (like Morgan) and was the only '89 on the 2006 U20 team. She is a player that was bumped up age wise pretty early on. She didn't grab the chances w/ fury and remains supremely talented but seen as lacking that hard edge and fire.

and as for Pryce's debut w/ the USWNT and teenage center back is, imo, always going to have a rough/ugly outing against top quality forwards Norway had in 2000. You don't play kids at that position expecting to win/dominate right off the bat.