Pre/PBP/Post USWNT vs Japan II (7pm Cary, NC)

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kool-aide, May 16, 2011.

1. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you want to see? What do you think Pia will want to see?

Chances of rain on Wed. and the field will be a little wet as there will be rain tomorrow.

I'd like Abby to not play a full 90 b/c she had a bit of a limp at the end of the game.

Because of Tarpley's injury ::cry:: I think Heath needs much more time -- she looked a bit off on Sat and since she's on the roster (for good or ill), I think she needs games to be ready to contribute in Germany.

2. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    I'd like to see that, and I'd like to see Lindsey start in place of Boxx. I'd like to see more of Sauerbrunn and Krieger. And while we are at it how about a bit more Cheney and Morgan.

3. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see Engen play a little bit since right now we have 3 injured defenders and it'd probably be nice to have Engen have a bit more experience just in case our injury situation got even worse.

4. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see better defense out of the midfielders, for one. That one play where Ohno basically made a 50 or 60 yard run right up the middle as our midfielders were running hopelessly behind. Ohno looked like she could have given our midfielders a 10 yard head start and they still wouldn't caught her.

Also, all that open space just outside the 18 where Japan was able to launch a few uncontested shots...that's got to close up a little. There are players that can score from that distance, even on Solo. By all means, let Lindsey have a shot.

I want to see them name Tarp's replacement before Wednesday and get whomever it is in the lineup for some game minutes, unless it's O'Hara, who needs more time with her injury.

Heath and Sauerbrunn both need more minutes, if for different reasons.

5. galsoccer907

galsoccer907 New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Galveston
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    I'd like to see the exact same defense as the last game with Engen subbed in at the half. I'd also like to see Lindsey instead of Boxx and Morgan instead of ARod. Then sub Cheney and Heath at the half for Abby and Rapinoe and Boxx and Engen in sometime during the second half, probably around the seventy minute mark. And then I guess ARod for Morgan at the end. Of course this could change depending on who replaces Tarpley. And I highly doubt Pia will follow this anyway. It's just what I would do.

6. aurajenn

aurajenn Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Morgan should play more, it would be good to see her starting to see how she measures up -does she come in with fresh legs and then surpass many players -or can she start at her clearly outstanding level. If Abby and Morgan click well that could be a very dynamic attack. The header Abby made in the Japan game was really spectacular. she appeared to be in a different league. ARod and Cheney also looked good but it would be good to see more Morgan to determine the best starter with Abby.

7. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i'd like to see the starting 11 (minus injuries of course) play for about 60 minutes, working on their anticipation of each other's touches, passes, switches and shots. They did pass the ball around better than against england, but they are not as smooth as they should be.

after 60, bring on the subs.

8. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    I would like to Becky Edwards, Marian Dalmy, Leslie Osborne and Candice Wilson called in and start.

9. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Not sure if any one will be interested in these, but I posted some pictures from Monday's training session. Not a lot of great action shots... I was shooting tight since the Wednesday game is at night. Kind of gives an opportunity to see the players up close.

The picture of Abby was probably my favorite of the day.

The rest of the pictures are here...

http://www.nc-soccer.com/2011-05-16-pr1/

10. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should we see a lot of Abby this game? We already know that Japan will have major problems matching up with us when Abby is having a good day. If Abby still has lingering problems with her heel, maybe we'd be best to keep working on our backup plan.

I said about a month ago to forget about Alex Morgan starting, that she has carved out the perfect role this World Cup as a super-sub. I may be changing my mind because of how well she has played so far in WPS. Maybe the otheres are right. I'd forgotten that she would have those games to show what she could do at this level -- I only wish she could have at least half a season of WPS games to prepare her for the Cup.

11. Ads13

Ads13 Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Interesting, Sinead Farrelly is in some of those pictures. I was hoping for DiMartino.

At the game on Wednesday, like someone else said above, I'd like to see the same defense get a chance to gel more. It might be very wishful thinking, but I'd love to see Sauerbrunn play herself into the starting lineup. And I agree with luvdagame...let the starters play for about 60 minutes, then get some subs into the game.

12. galsoccer907

galsoccer907 New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Galveston
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Ah, so it looks like Farrelly may end up being the one called in. Interesting.

13. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Great shots from GoCourage - thanks! And yes - play the starters for 45-60 at most and sub out to give everybody a shot.

14. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying. Would love to see Becky start again. She was so refreshing and calm back there. I think Kreiger is great on the ball, but does leave a LOT of space on the right side.

RE: above. Morgan has proved herself and is ready - between the U20 WC, college, training with NT and now playing in wps - she's a starter imo.

we forget that Arod, heath and cheney had never played a pro match before the 08 oly's. Arod started most of those games...

15. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morgan didn't accomplish nearly as much in college as Cheney or A-Rod. At least to the casual or untrained eye - obviously someone was paying attention to what she could do.

And there wasn't a pro league since 2003. That's 5 graduating classes that had no pro league to showcase and develop their talent.

16. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those interested and since it's related to this match, I see that the "shirts off their backs" auctions to benefit Japanese tsunami relief are now up on ebay. Not surprisingly, the top three right now are 1) Solo, 2) Wambach 3) Morgan. I did not see one for Tarpley (I'm guessing she had to leave before the match was over because of her injury), but they were up for the other 20 players.

17. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i was wondering who that face was that i did not recognize. never heard of her before she was drafted, and wondered why she was drafted so high. but i've seen a couple of games on tv, and she is top class. i think she's better than lori lindsey, but she's doesn't seem to be a scorer like tarpley.

short time to adjust to the new level. some players do it better than others. we'll see.

18. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    imo, now is the time to see if she can hang or not. I'm not saying play her or Engen 90 but if they're going to be on the plane, imo, with just this game and the game vs Mexico left, it is now or never. They both need game time (more than 10 min) to get use to the speed of play if nothing else.

I didn't see Mitts in any of the active training photos -- if she's not able to train now...

19. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    I'd like Pia to sit Abby, Boxx, Loyd... and let some others have good minutes. A line up like:
    Cheney ARod (with Morgan comes in for at least 30 mns)
    Pinoe Heath Lindsey HAO
    Cox Beuhler (or Sauerbrunn) Engen Mitts
    Solo (Barnhart 2nd half)

20. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd switch Rapinoe and Heath, but that's just me.

And I do not think Mitts is healthy enough to play -- I didn't see any pics of her training in the large batch GoCourage posted.

21. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going thru the pics, I'm reminded of one of my favorite giggle items about the USWNT. HAO game faces. They are greatness. :)

22. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is anyone here going to be at the game? A friend of mine was going to go but just bailed on me. I hate going to things alone.

23. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sometimes going by yourself is better. I actually like that sometimes.

1. You can focus on the game and players.
    2. You don't have to worry about entertaining someone else.
    3. You don't have to pick someone up and worry if you're going to be late for kick-off.
    4. you can stay as long as they let you after the game and watch all the goins-on and maybe even talk to a player or two.

Have Fun!!

24. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure I'll have fun. I'm just a bit bummed that my friend bailed at the last minute -- I'm not good at walking up to random tailgates and/or people standing near concessions and just starting a conversation. That's your specialty :) ;)

plus who is going to have my back when I hold up a sign touting a fan's right to her amateur opinions and

25. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Here is a link to the second set from the open practice today. A little different look since they had their new red warm-ups on... a couple more pictures that had actual soccer balls in them. Hopefully should be more for the game tomorrow.

http://www.nc-soccer.com/2011-05-17-pr2/