Pre/PBP/Post USA-CR 11/8 3rd place qualifier

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kool-aide, Nov 7, 2010.

1. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    i know it when i see it.
    she'll sell some jerseys ! $$$$$

2. kittenbiscuits

kittenbiscuits New Member

May 8, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Foudy just talked about how great it was that Barnie was being so vocal.
    I think this is the first game where i've continuously heard her. Didn't hear her say a single thing first match, and very little last match. Some set piece organization but other then that she's been quiet.

3. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90+2' (of 2') 3-0 USA fouls at midfield right. #11 Raquel Rodríguez Cedeño dribbles it to 24m slightly right, sails her shot high left.

Restart, couple of touches, full time.

4. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The hearse has been put away for now and the obituary writers relieved for the time being. Bring on Italy.

5. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. Bring on Italy!

6. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I <3 Alex

More of her please! Whats fortissima?

7. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet this has been true for the last 5 years! What's wrong with our program?! :mad:

8. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    because it's been a lot of the same players the last 5 years...

Kreiger was my player of the game.

9. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    better game, still not acceptable, by any means.
    backline:
    Kreiger was most solid, got forward the most. was probably the quickest as well.
    Amy was fine. caught off her line a few times.
    Rampone fine, nothing great. has lost a step. not that game sharp.
    Buehler i thought was worst person on the feild. that says something with this group.
    Lloyd played a full 90 again and did really nothing the entire game.
    Lori assisted on two goals, was completely gassed by end of game.
    Boxxy didn't do anything. Averbuch was slow and i don't think has a high work rate.
    Barney doesn't convince me in goal, at all.
    Arod non existant, except for the point blank shot she missed.

Hao, Abby played well.
    Cheney played well, but I'm not sure she's a 90 minute player either.
    I want to see more Morgan.

back line and middle of the feild HAVE to change. Bhuehler, Mitts, maybe even Amy are not starters. LLoyd and Boxxy PLEASE i don't want you two to start either.

I don't really need to see a few of them ever again in a US jersey, not to be harsh, but I really would be fine with that.

10. Older And Bolder

Older And Bolder New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Kelly O'Hara is at this point, a better choice than Leroux or Press...was her quad injury what kept her off the roster?? Much more of a threat than Aim is Off Rodgriguez.

11. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I see Ohara as a winger for the national team. Yes, she was injured though.
    Leroux and Press are quicker, ala Arod, that's why I said they could replace her.
    They are both better finishers in my opinion. Leroux has proven herself numerous times
    on the world stage before, just never had the chance with senior team.

12. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope's twitter fingers are alive and well:

Positive regarding the team: "Here we go guys. 1 down, 2 to go! It doesn't matter how we get there, our journey is our journey. Let's do this!" and later .... "Great usa win!"

But negative regarding the announcer: "Oh foudy, please stop talking about goalkeeping. Just stick with lil, abby and 99. You got that down to a T!"

13. kittenbiscuits

kittenbiscuits New Member

May 8, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to be fair Foudy ripped her apart on ESPN.

14. giatano

giatano Member

Aug 26, 2009
    old brown jug tavern newcastle
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Team played good enuf to win. Still many problems, will they be fixed, who knows? like Press a lot, has a very high work rate. O'Hara to left back. Bywaters would bring good
    speed to midfield, but is she ready. Rapinoe good creatively, but needs to understand
    true meaning of the game. US women should spend several hours watching the Mens
    team from Spain"s play in the last Mens World Cup, to understand what the game is about.

15. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008

wait, did HOPE really write that! ahahah, so funny.

16. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    ROFLMAO! She wasn't lying!

17. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I'd like to see this and Lilly give it a shot. I'm certain Lilly would right now be much better than buehler. no question.

18. soccermuse

soccermuse Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Australia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree completely. Although I also feel that Lil could probably slot into any position (except, perhaps, keeper) and succeed!

19. Ads13

Ads13 Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Kreiger, Wambach, and Cheney played well. The rest of the performances were middling at best, but they got the job done.

For me, Lloyd and Buehler were the worst on the field. As we've all said ad nauseum, Buehler isn't a left fullback. And Lloyd seems incapable of passing the ball to people wearing the same jersey.

Should they get past Italy, does anyone think it might be possible to play more creative, competent soccer by next summer?

20. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope so.

21. donaldball

donaldball New Member

Sep 24, 2009
    I must be in the minority here. I thought Krieger's defense was more than a little suspect. Her touch was very heavy early and she got caught out of position several times, even when she hadn't been making a run forward. Better than Mitts, to be sure, but that's really not saying much.

I was surprised to see Cheney get the nod to start this game, but she played pretty well. Her cut back to earn her shot was crafty, one that might even work against a credible defense, and she had some nice low bending service behind the back line that could have been dangerous, had she a strike partner with any speed and finesse. (O'Hara, Leroux, and Kai are the only ones that come to mind, unfortunately.)

I wholeheartedly agree that Lloyd and Beuhler were, and have been, consistently bad. I would love to see Casey Nogeria get a chance to play in Lloyd's spot.

22. soccersarah

soccersarah Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Can someone tell me how long CONCACAF has had the half qualifier spot for the women's world cup, shared with Europe? Is this the first time? I don't recall the half spot from previous world cups.

23. mingyung

mingyung Member

Jun 7, 1999
    This is probably not a very analytical comment, but from the matches I watched at the WCQ, the US team is lacking joyfulness/wit/creativity in its play. It looks like work and drudgery because they are playing that way. I know they're not a team known for creativity, but I just get the feeling something is amiss--chemistry, spirit? They looked tense which surprises me because the take on Sundhage is always about how mellow and positive she is. I wish they looked like they were having some fun.

24. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    Since the expansion to 16 teams after WWC'95, CONCACAF usually gets the .5 qualifying spot shared with whatever association that is hosting the WWC (not counting WWC'99; top two CONCACAF qualified straight out along with host USA). Last time around, CONCACAF #3 had to face off with AFC #3, with Japan beating Mexico to qualify for China WWC'07 (the same happened in 2003 since China was supposed to host but tourney got moved b/c of SARS last minute...Japan beat Mexico for the spot b/t their conferences.)

This is the first time the .5 spot has been shared with UEFA.

25. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CONCACAF shared a half berth with CONMEBOL in 1999. CONMEBOL had only 1.5 qualifying berths that year. Mexico won the home-and-away series with Argentina.