Pre/PBP/Post: Houston Dynamo v. DC United, Sunday, August 3

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Jul 28, 2014.

?

Result?

Poll closed Aug 3, 2014.
  1. Dynamo win

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Dynamo tie

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Dynamo lose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 10 midfielders? I say we play them all!

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing DC would sign Bruin just so they don't have to face him anymore.

2. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Agree about strikers. They are becoming rare in this sport. Even the richest clubs in the world struggle finding one that is consistent. It's possibly a byproduct of the new way that players are developed, but top strikers are few and far between, and will be gobbled up long before the Dynamo can get them. All that you can hope for realistically is 10-12 goals from a good striker. We'll need to get more goals from midfielders, and defenders.

3. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heft, I once witnessed Clint Mathis hang 5 goals on Dallas in the Cotton Bowl in 2000. I think he was making a little over 90K that season!
    14 years later in MLS and I would take a poor man's Clint Mathis for our forward corps.
    Indeed, American men that can score on a consistant basis is more rare than it was a generation ago. Slackers.

Heft repped this.
  4. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the reminder. I forgot what it was like to actually to win a match, and then read about the agony of it on the opposing team's forum the next day.

5. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice !!!

6. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    #106 *rey*, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    when i first saw Clint Mathis against play with the USMNT, i thought this dude is going to be good and give Mexico fits for the next 10 years. i was more impressed by early Clint Mathis than early Clint Dempsey. i mean Dempsey wasn't bad he was just "eh" while Mathis was "fierce".

in the end he was done being early-Clint Mathis by his late-20s. what the hell happened.

7. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Cummings

From my understanding of the rules (under the current CBA) he is on a 3 + 1 contract, meaning next year would be his 3rd guaranteed year. So unless we trade/sell him we're stuck.

8. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I hope that your "understanding of the rules" sucks.

shoeless and JC507 repped this.
  9. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly, but unlikely. If it makes you feel better those rules could change quite a bit with a new CBA.

10. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think existing contracts would have any change.

11. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang. I thought I read Omar's contract was up this offseason. The Andrew driver contract looks like a bad one too but not quite as heavy a cap hit. He signed a decent length.

12. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate rules.

Our team became so quality in the midfield and so dreadful with veterans up top and in the back. Then the injury bug. Such is 2014.

He burst on the MLS scene there in 1999 with LAG and then got traded to Metrostars and really had an incredible season for them in 2000, like hitting the Dallas Burn up for 5 on their own field!

One of the U.S.A.'s send off games for Japorea'02 was against Ecuador in Birmingham Alabama (yes Alabama was a terrific location back then, good pro-U.S. crowds) and Mathis got a straight red card from the ref and had to leave real early in the game that day. He was bossing the Ecuadorians as I saw it from the stands but an opponent with theatrics could wind a Clint Mathis up easy. To say that Mathis had a very intense engine is an understatement. He was a scrapper and being a southern boy he had what we see in Dempsey with our swagger for life. When Mathis got signed to a Bundesliga club in 2002, Hoffenheim iirc, after his quality performance for the U.S. at that mundial at forward and midfield, Mathis quickly earned the fans and supporters backing with his graft plus the craft. Then one day after coming on as a sub, where he thinks he should be starting, he instantly bags an equalizer, the supporters go bonkers and Mathis runs over to celebrate and, recall we are in Germany, takes the moment to tap his wrist like his watch was in need of fixing and that is a no no with any German football manager! It was not a career ending thing but after that he eneded up in Colorado and was their #10 for many seasons, surving our Karate Kid Rico when Rico was tasked to mark Mathis in our Dynamo's first ever game, and of course Rico (go re visit the game film, I have) stamps Mathis in his knee early in that first half and Mathis's pace was never the same after that play. He retired with LAG in a ceremonial signing back in 2010 irrc. Easily the most gifted striker of the ball our culture has ever produced as he was clinical with his right and left foot. Also, a sublime passer as well which was really something to appreciate as he got involved his teammates very well. He walks on water in Metrostars lore.

13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Cummings re-signed or extended with Colorado in late 2011 or mid-2012 which made 2012-2014 his guaranteed years.

redinthemorning repped this.
  14. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Cummings signed a new contract extension with the Rapids in May of 2012.

http://www.coloradorapids.com/news/2012/05/rapids-re-sign-forward-omar-cummings

Looking at his pay on the players union lists, that contract might not have went into effect until 2013.

2012 $81,999 $95,999 Colorado Rapids
    2013 $225,000 $239,000 Houston Dynamo
    2014 $250,000 $264,000 Houston Dynamo

15. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but do you remember Ecuador vs. USA in '88 at Delmar Stadium ??

I was there. We lost 2-0.

Could you imagine an USMNT match being played in anything like that today? That shows you how far football has come in this country in the last 30 years.

It's come a long long way.

And it's only going to get better.

Dynamo_Forever and *rey* repped this.
  16. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know of that friendly with Ecuador you speak of in 1988. At Delmar no less. Delmar is where our Houston Hurricanes FC last played!
    I was not able to make that U.S.A. match versus Ecuador, by that time in the late 80's, association football was off the radar save seeing my female cousing play club ball here and there.

I recall U.S.A. playing Scotland in May of 1996 at some high school field in Connecticut. First time our guys finally beat the Scots. 2-1 that day with Cobi Jones getting the winner. Tracking just the NT level of love and stadiums hosting, from 1988 to 1996 to 2003 when we had our first U.S.A. vs. Mexico scratch and now what we witnessed across the nation with watch parties and public viewing of crowds of 20,000 folks enjoying the footy and the alegria from goals, the sport has come light years amigo mio. And to think that the sport is still mostly run by old NASL folks that came up with ideas like widing the goal, clocks and rules that avoid FIFA standards and all sorts of gimmicks, imagine when we have tried and true Americans that understand to just let the game be itself. I wasn't aware that soccer needed any type of "help".

TX Bill repped this.
  17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the early 90s the US played a few games at Willowbrook Park in New Britain, CT which was basically a high school stadium. I think Dom may have scored a goal there.

*rey* and TX Bill repped this.
  18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Britain, CT is it! Good call.

I know our Dom scored in Texas in '93 up at old Texas Stadium, versus the Ticos iirc.

19. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you kidding??

Celt was there when they cut the king's head off and decided to kick it about thus inventing football in the process.

21. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I was in Junior High dickhead"
    [​IMG]

TX Bill and DonJuego repped this.
  22. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the sort of light-hearted joking about, always positive vibe, and intelligent posts that I fell so enamored with on this board back in 2007.

You guys are joking aren't you?

CeltTexan repped this.
  23. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2006 and 2007. When we were winning MLS cups, have a young Ching, DeRo, Waibel, Mullan, Davis, Erob, etc... How can things not have been happy then? The worst criticism was "Dom doesnt sub fast enough".

Recently, things havent gone our way. Just about everybody has their own blog. Even @juvechelsea is happy being the king of SbyIves and left permanently. Facebook explodes with people btiching.

All of a sudden, almost unexpectedly, we get a USMnT player, a new Honduran, and we win a game after many losses and ties.

And westside cosmo is placed on a leash.

How can we not be on a better mood?

So, happy times may be here again. Enjoy while it lasts.

TX Bill repped this.
  24. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm old enough to get that reference!

I think I was in junior high when that movie was released.

25. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So that makes @CeltTexan a dickhead??

Sounds right... :D