Pre/PBP/Post: Houston Dynamo v. DC United, Sunday, August 3

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Jul 28, 2014.

?

Result?

Poll closed Aug 3, 2014.
  1. Dynamo win

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Dynamo tie

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Dynamo lose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 10 midfielders? I say we play them all!

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'm nervous about it too. I don't expect them to be 100% on the same page as the rest of the team this early, but a CDM knows his place on the pitch, and I'm sure that Beasley, and Davis have an understanding already from the USMNT. That will help. I have decided to go to the remaining home games because the club has made an effort by signing DMB, and I also like the type of player that Garrido is.

2. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Normally I think this makes sense. However, given the current expectation of a huge increase in salary cap for next season it might be rash to do this unless you have the next move lined up already.

Soccergodlss repped this.
  3. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Defend the streak!

redinthemorning repped this.
  4. guaroboy828

guaroboy828 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know if we'll need 6 subs again to sub Bruin? :p

5. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie Johnson trashed Ching. I will yell at the ass throughout the game.

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Season ticket renewals open already?? Good grief, it's barely August and they want a commitment for next year

7. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beasley and Bruin ' s new contract don't pay for themselves....

Dynamo_Forever and *rey* repped this.
  8. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, does anybody know if the tickets will cost the same next year? Any increases for STH? I doubt they are in a position to increase ticket prices.

I had decided I wasn't going to renew my STH unless they made big changes to demonstrate that they open their wallets the way I open mine. I may renew just two of my tickets in the non premium seats. The premium seats just don't sell.

Garrido and Beasley aren't exactly what we needed, I can see why so many people here are up in arms. We already had OK players covering the midfield and leftback, we needed central backs. However, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and hope that the changes improve the team.

If I don't renew all my tickets it is not simply out of protest, but because it's just not a smart money decision: Dynamo premium seats don't sell, if I miss a game, nobody want to pay for $80 or $90 premium seats. Since I travel too much, I rather just buy tickets in the aftermarket, or wait until somebody offers me free or half-price tickets. non STH people who buy tickets want to go see Beckham or Cuahtemoc or Henry, they don't want to see the Dynamo.

I am still concerned about having Bruin and the same cheap "love the galaxy" owners. I am afraid that Dom loves Bruin too much and he will be here next year. And the owners, I don't see them want to sell us either.

I am hoping for a win today. I'm not even asking for a BIG win, just a win. I'll take a lucky win.

9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect they will be flat or only slightly increased on prices. I think the Dynamo FO probably has looked at ticket sales, the survey, the no-shows (indicating some who could drop out of lack of interest) and figured they need to get on the renewals early and often (like Democratic voters in inner-city locations with no poll watchers - vote early AND often).

But this is earlier than I can ever remember any renewal talk. Just seems way too early.

This offseason specifically for the Dynamo and more broadly for MLS probably has as much uncertainty as we've ever had. Now, I think the Beasley and Garrido deals take care of some of the offseason moves early (whether we like it or not), but you've got a number of guys on expiring contracts or going into team option years. I do think we may fall back on many of the guys already on the roster rather than turning over 75% of the team, but there are going to be changes.

For MLS you've got an expiring CBA that needs to be renewed with the players, a new national TV deal that may raise the salary cap (I think it will go up, but not as much as some think), new owners like NYCFC and Orlando who probably will push for a 4th DP slot. Plus an expansion draft. The salary cap and economics could change enough to make a difference in how you build a team going forward. I suspect the teams have some idea what will happen.

Bottom line for me is I am going to wait into the fall and see what happens before renewing. I also think that seats will open up in some nice areas for those that want to move in to them. There has been this notion that certain sections never open up but I can tell you someone I know got excellent seats in a prime location very late this past year.

10. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year during the renewal they had all these prizes that they were supposedly drawing once a week. I think one may have even been a trip to the World Cup. Does anyone actually know anyone who won anything?

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this year they are giving out drilling mud samples and parts of used rig drill bits, courtesy of BHP Billiton.

12. skajules

skajules Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Cypress, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really curious to see what the lineup looks like. Do Garrido and Run DMB start? I hope so. DMB at left back or left mid, what kind of formation do we use if Rico is healthy and we want Garrido to start?

13. OneTerryHurlock

Aug 24, 2006
    U boys seem convinced Beasley will start over teachers pet Ashe?

14. skajules

skajules Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Cypress, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I think it's possible one starts at left back, the other at left mid, and Davis plays in the middle.

15. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Guess this answers your question

Bench
    496071755601965056[/MEDIA is not a valid tweet id

skajules repped this.
  16. skajules

skajules Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Cypress, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly I think that gets our best eleven on the pitch, but Clark and Garrido might be redundant? It looks like the Bob Bradley bucket formation, with no offense through the middle.

17. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    You can tell Bruin isn't used to winning duels in the air. We could have at least have scored one by now :/.

18. guaroboy828

guaroboy828 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should be up 2-0 by now. With Beasley Davis Sarkodie and Boniek killing the flanks I've seen a few options to pass up the middle in the box but we went to the flank instead.

19. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The dynamo have used that at key points in precious seasons before. I'm not surprised.

20. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
  21. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    My prayers from Sunday morning mass have been answered.

Thank you (soccer) God.

22. guaroboy828

guaroboy828 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better lucky than good. A big Kiss My Ass to Eddie Johnson. Next time grown folks talking close your mouth. As expected Bruin stays in for no reason known to mankind. Garrido and Davis were having great games I do not agree with the subs. Bruin and Barnes would've been my choices to sit and MAYBE Clark at best after running as hard as he did in the first half. Oh well the new guys looked good, we attacked consistently and no one got a stupid card. My only knock tonight was the lack of finishing. Took a gimme for us to score even after three sitters in the first half a loss of gas in the second.

23. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just happy we had a clean sheet for once. That was an old fashioned ugly dynamo win.

Really liking what Garrido brought tonight.

Hydro repped this.
  24. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His goals per game against DC United approaches what Gerd Muller had for his career?

DC United are absolutely snake bit against Houston, and this amuses me greatly.

Hydro, Grimmjow316 and Soccergodlss repped this.
  25. Willydog

Willydog Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Was at the game, it's was fun and packed tonight. Barnes for motm. Beasley and Garrido looked nice on the pitch. The only negative was nobody was going in the box to try and score a goal; if someone went forward nobody helped'em in their run.

Hydro repped this.