Pre/PBP/Post: CCL Quarterfinals, Santos Laguna v Houston Dynamo, Wednesday, March 13

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Mar 6, 2013.

?

Result?

Poll closed Mar 12, 2013.
  1. Dynamo advance

17 vote(s)
    77.3%
  2. Dynamo fail to advance

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Tim Hanley? Coach of the Year!

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Centuria20

Centuria20 Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Right?? Forget about this united MLS banter. I wanted us to go to the final and win it all, not any other club. Houston, first to the moon, first to win the CCL from MLS.

2. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Damn straight plus we would never hear the end of it. I would like to see Santos win it this time have Herc go to the CWW.

redinthemorning repped this.
  3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stealing uniforms in Torreon is like spitting on the sidewalk in the US. No reason to make a joke about it, although with Ashe out it would have been funny to see this injury report:

OUT: D- Corey Ashe (gunshot wound)

4. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife said "I'm glad they lost because in that city something would of happened to them for sure if they would of won!!!"

5. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    Better to be "killed" figuratively, than literally! She has a point.

ChrizG13 repped this.
  6. freshpow21

freshpow21 Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Dom can be pretty stoic in these tournament matches. I really believe these guys want to win...they just freak out when they cross the border for some reason.

Missing the team that played Pumas a few years back. :)

CeltTexan repped this.
  7. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    That's an incredibly ridiculous statement. What the heck has happened to our boards?

8. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #TeamWestie

Like NoodleTime...don't underestimate it.

9. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People don't live on Pleasure Island anymore sorry!!

10. ra azua

ra azua Member

May 10, 2009
    houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    dynamo win and that night they appear in a scene reminiscent of blackwater in fallujah.

what do people imagine mexico to be?

11. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Irate at how our midfield played.

Irate even more how our boy Hall MAKES THE FUKIN' KICK SAVE! and no orange jersey is Johnny on the spot to back our keep up.

Bruin, Moffat and Boz apparently smoked a blunt before kickoff.

I will offer this as Santos are good but not that good, so what gave on the day other than our 3 pot head starters and absent midfield? I offer this, how is any team gonna beat a team called Saints the day a new Pope is selected! Just our luck right.

DonJuego and brahmafutbol repped this.
  12. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Santos are in playoff form, and the Dynamo are coming out of pre-season form. We all knew this was going to happen, but really got our hopes up.

brahmafutbol repped this.
  13. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Pachuca won there about a month ago. They're all still alive.

14. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't be stupid there, like you don't be stupid around BBVA either, but if I'd had the $$ I woulda been there, and not scared if we'd have won or lost.

I met a guy on Twitter who had replied when I used the @clubsantoslagun (it doesn't have the last a) twitter handle on a tweet with pic of my sign at the game. He was in Torreón and a big fan but was cool with me after our game and before and after the game there. It was nice to talk to a fan that was at the game even if he was on the wrong side. It looks like a really nice stadium and hopefully by the next time we play in there either driving will be safer or flights will be cheaper. (By the way, Santos isn't in the 2013-14 CCL).

15. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that being stupid around BBVA (even with the vagrants) gives you a better chance to avoid personal injury than being stupid in Torreon. Whenever anyone prefaces a statement with "don't be stupid and you'll be OK", that's a sign that concern exists about safety.

I saw some empty seats there - why didn't Ortiz chastise Santos FO? (probably because he didn't see the game in his hotel on FSC).

16. Lark Howorth

Lark Howorth Member

Nov 18, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I guess you've addressed my real question, and I appreciate that you've had the access: you mention random league games, which I have no doubt the Dynamo team and coaches care about (and are now especially focused on after blowing MLS Cup '12 home field by one point). I am just not sure that same desire is there for CCL--I just don't know. "Caring," to me, means bringing both mental focus and physical desire onto the field. There was nothing about last night's game that remotely makes me think that the Dynamo left everything they had out on the field or brought a "playoff mentality", and I just don't get how anyone could think they did. They had more they could have given, but didn't. And it's our second straight CCL elimination under different, but less-than-honorable circumstances. In contrast to last night, I suspect that if the Dynamo had lost the same exact way to an MLS team in a league game, klutzing around through 3 Christmas gift goals, you would barely be able to control Dom and the team's anger.

Anyway, it's over. Looking forward to and expecting a great MLS 2013 campaign. On to Dallas. Thanks for your usual excellent thoughts, rey.

17. Centuria20

Centuria20 Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Sums up the match:

[​IMG]

18. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    I'm not an MLS fan. I'm a Dynamo fan.

19. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there is definitely something to that, the definition of what that was is the problem I've had. During the game I thought the team looked timid and somehow hoped to luck into set piece opportunities. Some of that is clearly due to the limited options that the Team currently has at forward but so far this season even Boniek has lost the spark that he displayed last year. Once it became clear that we had to score little of consequence developed even though visually it looked a bit better after Ching came in. The entire thing just felt lackluster compared to the intensity we usually see from this team (at least in MLS Playoffs).

The stupid mistakes that led to the Santos Goals aside its kinda hard to win a game anywhere when you put 2 Shots on Frame.

20. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Dear Dom,
    Please watch the film of the past three games again and come up with the remedy to improve:
    1) the forward play (personel (Bruin) or just individual tendecies and tactics that can be corrected?)
    2) adjust to how Brad and Boniek have been shut down the past three games
    3) Santos midfield and forwards pressured our backs into turning the ball over into fast breaks countless times (this was not as bad for our back line as we have seen in the past but I think Santos just really executed this well)
    We will continue to see more of this so we need to refine our tactics
    Thanks

21. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    and yes I know Brad scored a goal in the second game - but he hasn't look good otherwise. Really no time and space with the ball at all, him or boniek.

22. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes because they're not gringos. What do you think were talking about here? Next thing your going to point out is the fact that 100 million people live life everyday in mexico like theres no danger am I correct o_O

23. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    The USMNT won in Azteca last fall? Seattle won in Monterrey?

24. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't possibly think my wife was serious or that i'm being serious right?

JC507 repped this.
  25. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that we bombed out with most of our starters it feels like we didnt get much out of it. In years past when we lost at least we knew guys like Holden, Cameron, Ashe, Wondo got valuable minutes. Not that i would change anything, just kinda of a bummer.