Pre/pbp/post 7/6 WWC USA vs. Sweden

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Cville K C, Jul 5, 2011.

1. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Pre/pbp/post 7/6 USA vs. Sweden

Her not playing Morgan at all in the Colombia game spoke volumes. If Abby pulls so many strings, Morgan would get more time -- Abby & Morgan have talked about the pretty much instant connection they developed. An on-field connection that is pretty obviously absent (forced) btwn Abby & ARod.

2. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In my mind, the keys will be Heather O’Reilly & Lauren Cheney.
    I think the USWNT plays its very best when Heather is attacking from the right side &
    Cheney is in or around the box.

If Cheney can finish her chances then USWNT stand as good of a chance as anyone ;)

3. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The keys will be our defense and midfield not getting pwned by the Brazilian attackers.

4. crossconference

crossconference New Member

Nov 22, 2010

Sorry to throw this bit of self-promotion in the discussion, but we've been doing daily podcast episodes throughout the whole Women's World Cup, and yesterday's episode (today's, too) is all about the USAvSweden game

The guest was women's soccer favorite Jenna Pel of All White Kit: http://crossconference.com/2011/07/06/womens-world-cup-daily-recap-episode-9/

Some of you might find it relevant. :)

5. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

it seems that you and I are on the same page with Heather & Lauren.
    What is hard to believe is .. why was Lauren added so late to the starting XI?

6. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
  7. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

if this is your worry them we should play bunker defense & play for the counter attack.

If our lines are stretched like they were against SWE then passing thru Heather
    will give us the best chance to move the lines forward & into position so we can stay "compact". Otherwise, off to the races :eek:

8. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just some thoughts on the Sweden game. The US had the run of play for most of the game and let up two goals on set pieces. It was lost at the left side of the D (my biggest concern coming into WWC) and not capitalizing/having some bad luck on multiple good scoring chances.

Amy L keeps proving she doesn’t have the pace to play outside. I am less concerned about Buehler because I feel a more athletic LB could make up for her speed deficiency. I think the only option right now is to go with Cox at LB because at least that is her natural position.

But is there anyone else in the US program right now that would realistically have been a better option to start at LB for WWC? And let’s not fall back on the “We don’t know cause Pia didn’t play anyone else” excuse. The only other outside backs in the player pool that are not on the team are Britney Taylor (not a natural LB) and Meghan Schnur (play has fallen dramatically in past two years). The only realistic option I see on the immediate horizon is Meghan Klingenberg (though she might be equally needed at LW).

I actually thought ARod played a solid half (unlucky to hit the cross bar on that clever chip), as she did against NK but didn’t against Colombia. She deserved to be yanked against Colombia but I thought Pia should have left her in to start the second half. I understand why Pia starts her. She wants to wear down opposing Ds with ARod speed and then turn Morgan loose in the second half. I saw Sara Larsson play for the Independence last year and Buehler and Amy L are Flo Jo and Gail Devers compared to her speed wise. A little surprised the players could not create more opportunities there, especially Morgan in the second half.

Cheney continues to shine— USWNT’s breakout star in WWC. Yes she could have put at least one of her chances away Wednesday but the fact that she consistently creates scoring opportunities for herself and others (some great crosses) and has done a solid job getting back on D considering she’s never played the position before.

The reason Pia started Cheney at wing is that not only is she one of the team’s top players but, unfortunately, we don’t have many other quality options at wing— something that became painfully obvious with the absence of HAO. Rapinoe IS inconsistent but would you have left her off the team? If so, who would have been a better fit? Should Pia have given Heath and O’Hara more time in friendlies so they would be more ready for this moment? Possibly, but part of the problem there is that both missed time with injury in the last year or two. Tobin clearly would have been capped more had she not missed virtually all of 2010 and O’Hara was hurt during some of the friendlies leading up the WWC.

It is amazing how Lloyd haters crawl out after one poor showing. I was at work following the match on game cast and these boards (still can’t get ESPN3 in the office) and I thought from the tone of the posts she was having the worst game in the history of the sport. Then I watched the replay last night and saw a subpar performance but not quite as bad as advertised. She roofed three ill advised distance shots, made a few bad passes and struggled to find any kind of rhythm in the first half. But she also forced the Swedish keeper to make great saves on a clever toe poke in the first half and a blast off a set piece in the second half. I find the short-term memories of some posters to be amazing. Lloyd basically sets up both goals in the first game, scores in the second and plays pretty solid D in both and one subpar performance and now she’s not only a bad player but fat and lazy with less athletic ability than any other starting CM ever. Unreal. Lloyd is clearly a flawed player but that talk is far from fair and balanced.

1 person likes this.
  9. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004

In Quarter-finals, and seeing that England have managed to get further than that only twice during all 19 WC thats is a fairly average result for England.

An average result for US WNT would be about Second Place, with two winns and three 3rd places out of 5.
    So doing as well as Sven did with England, worse than the two best times and about average would mena Pia would take this USWNT to the Final and lose that.

10. katie14

katie14 Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ohio

I have less problems with Lloyd but more problems with the Boxx/ Lloyd combination. I really think our central midfield was a major problem in the game and I just don't think these 2 players compliment each other. Yes I ragged on her during the game because she took too many shots from far out. However, I simply said that she needs to learn to read the game better and to know the difference between when to take those shots and when to hold possession.

I think the reason people are trashing her so much is because of the central midfield combination. Neither Boxx or Lloyd is a true defensive midfielder and it shows during the game. Pair Lloyd with a true defensive midfielder (and no I don't have an example this is just hypothetical) and she would look much stronger than she does.

And let's face it the central midfield position is tough and normally warrants the most critique on the field (I'm thinking of the Aly Wagner days). If the game is going well and the team is possessing the ball and creating opportunities the central midfield looks amazing. However, when that does not happen it is normally the central midfield that is blamed. That being said we need a strong performance from both Boxx and Lloyd to beat Brazil. If we cannot control the midfield we will not win this game.

11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

She turns 29 next week. If she hasn't learned by now (w/ Hege Riise on the USWNT staff, even), she's not going to learn.

She's been out played on the field by every (real) WPS center mid for 2 years.

12. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I actually found your critiques quite measured and thoughtful, especially compared to some others during and after the game. You were completely justified in your criticism of those long shots. They were boneheaded IMO. Thought she played better in the second half.

Truth is, if Boxx still had her wheels, they might compliment each other just fine as Boxx has always been a natural d-mid and Lloyd would not have to cover as much ground and play more of an attacking role. If you stuck, say, Becky Edwards behind Lloyd, I think you would see a different and better team. Averbuch might be a better fit as well. And Keelin Winters might be working herself into consideration as well. But that's not going to help the team in WWC unfortunately.

Also, to say Lloyd has been outplayed by every other WPS CM for two years is a little disingenuous being that she really only played one year (2009 when she was admittedly out of shape). She didn't play last year due to injury and has been away this year on WNT duty. Certainly hasn't been outplayed by WNT CMs this year and that's what counts.

13. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009

Making a Loyd lover understand is very hard. Loyd is nobody compared to the US team, if she underperforms and causes us to lose, she will get chewed out. As simple as that.

She did not have just the one bad third game, the 1st game was under average as well, and the 2nd game? a 30 yd shot at the hand of the keeper that went in?
    You like to quote what his name about player's rating when he gave Loyd good score, why don't you go look for the 1st and 3rd game as well?

Loyd set up both goals in the 1st game and played solid defense? When people claim something they don't own, it's call stealing, it's dishonest.
    She sent a 40 yd ball to the corner to Wamback who did the work for the assist. It was Abby's assist. The long ball was a good ball but she sent many long aimless balls too. Any other player can do it and more.
    The ball to Buehler was an accident, she just reached out for the ball and poked at it. I seriously doubt she saw Buehler, watch the replay again, I did.

14. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

While avoiding the extreme at the other end shown last week by a Korea DPR forward in the U-17 WC. He races alone through box top arc left, slides down and blasts left foot low from 11m left post, right into the goalie so hard that the ball reflects to a Korea DPR teammate at 10m midright, off his knee faster than that guy can control it, and pops up sideways. As the shooter half-rolls his body away from goal and slaps the ground in frustration three times, the ball unerringly seeks him out and bounces off his own head. Which disrupts his rightside teammate's follow-up shot attempt.

He is promptly assessed two misses from one shot on frame :p

Poor kid. In any other country, he'd only be a punch line for years -- but having to return to DPR after doing that on TV -- :eek:

15. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

First off, her name is spelled Lloyd. And to respond to your point— I have no problem with you or anyone else saying Lloyd underperformed against Sweden. I largely agree with that sentiment. What irks me is that folks like you conveniently had little to say about her during the first two games but now pounce after one subpar performance (something I correctly predicted you would do when we had our first go around on this topic a few weeks back). though now you seem to be attempting to re-write what actually happened in those games. Also not a big fan of calling someone fat and lazy (not you but others) but this is a free country.

She actually received pretty good reviews for her first two games from the AWK folks, whose thoughts on WWC I have grown to respect more than ESPN. Sorry but that was a great ball to Abby that set up the entire play on Cheney's header and the dump off the Buehler was no accident. Screened off the D and dished it back.

Game One — North Korea
    Carli Lloyd: Improved. More errant passes and misreads in the first half. But again like in the Japan friendlies, Lloyd bounced back and help the U.S. control the midfield in the second half. As a result, North Korea quit pressing up the center which allowed Lloyd more time on the ball to make better decisions. While not being excessively productive, she helped marshal the middle third. She does have a scorching shot on her; you just wish she’d show it more often.

Game Two-- Colombia
    Lloyd – Battler. Lloyd had a more defensive presence today, in an effort to counterbalance Lindsey’s playmaking skills. She did well to win balls and challenges and kept the U.S.’ midfield on lock. There were still a few errant passes and signs of indiscipline, but on the whole Lloyd did what she needed to do. On Tuesday we criticized her for not attempting many scorching long-range Lloyd specialties more often. And, yeah. Slight goalkeeping error, but Lloyd did well to keep her shot low and on target.

Game Three— Sweden
    Lloyd: Reversion. One of the most obvious indications of when the U.S. is in panic mode is when Lloyd has difficulty completing passes or dribbling around opponents. It happened again today. Just nothing doing in central midfield, although the second half was slightly better as Sweden stopped attacking with such pace.

16. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009

My mistake on spelling.
    FYI, I thought Lloyd played under average in all 3 games but until today I had not chewed her out.
    I don't need to give the rebuttals on Lloyd's play with other experts' comments. There are plenty of those if YOU are willing to look.

Just go by what your post said, if you think those are good words regarding her performance, you really have blinder on. Go read your own post again.

Game 1:
    Improved (over what?), More errant passes and misreads in the first half. not being excessively productive. you just wish she’d show it more often (meaning there are not enough)

Game 2:
    There were still a few errant passes and signs of indiscipline ... Slight goalkeeping error (slight?)

Game 3:
    Reversion ... slightly better as Sweden stopped attacking

Those are supposed to be good reviews? :eek:
    BTW, we played N Korea and Colombia, they are at the bottom of the barrel for crying out loud.

17. pattrickwolf

pattrickwolf New Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

thank you, USA has the best players i trully believe that but this coaching staff lack of player managment has really hendered the progression of many players. Heath, Ohara, Yael Averbuch, and several other young prospects have been treated like crap. No belief in our young players

18. pattrickwolf

pattrickwolf New Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

No one hates lloyd they just think she sucks. Rightfully soo, she isnt a centermid. She does not control the tempo of the game, she doesnt find the open space with her passing, she doesnt lead balls into forwards strides, she isnt able to pick apart zone defense. She lacks any sort of creativity off the ball. Her movement off the ball is almost as bad as boxx. People give our defenders stick for just bootin the ball but if you look where our centermids are they are nowhere to be found to provide outlets.

The most fustrating thing about Llyod is, she has all the tools to be a great player, shes just to stuborn to learn the game and adjust.

funny lil story, I recently had the chance to speak with a couple players who recently played against USA. There was no media around so I feel they gave me their honest opinions. We spoke of several topics regarding USA but a comment was made that I asked to be repeated. The comment was, the #10 we were shocked she made the roster, we thought she was the worse player on the team...I guess you will have to take my word for it but its not just llyod haters, she really isnt cutting it. I still hold alot of hope for Llyod, i feel she can offer so much only if she chooses to play for her team not for herself. Sad thing is Pia encourages her to play only for herself.

Check my previous post, if u doubt my credibility

1 person likes this.
  19. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, when you edit out all of the good things AWK said like you just did that defeats the purpose of the exercise. It just shows that the one with blinders on is you, who cannot admit that Lloyd is capable of making a good play, let alone playing a good game. I said she had a subpar performance against Sweden but you can't find it in yourself to admit when she does anything right.

Even on BS boards, most posters seemed to praise her performance in games one and two. So your view is clearly in the minority there IMO. Haters like you waited to crawl out from under your rocks until after this game. And if you have an expert other than Jeff Carslile (who has been ripping Cheney of all people) who said otherwise, present the info. I'm not going to do your homework for you. Sort of leads be to believe that, as usual, you have little ammo when you ask me to find information to enhance your argument.

20. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009

Dude, I edited out the words for your purpose, so you can understand them. Put them together and read it slowly for yourself if you wish.

Searching for posts from other experts on the internet is easy, why should I need you to help? It's you who can't stand people criticizing your princess even if they tell the truth.

It's you who gleefully quoted Jeff Carslise when he gave Lloyd a good score. (Need I show you your post?)
    Now it's you again who don't like it too much when he thinks otherwise.
    Talk about hypocrite.

21. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Again, it's Lloyd, not Llyod. You have been doing that for months and it drives me crazy. Well, hater =thinks she sucks. Same difference. Like Fire, you have consistently fit into that category of poster. In addition to judging with my own two eyes, I've talked to enough people whose opinions on the game I trust who disagree with your assessment on that front. So we'll just agree to disagree.

22. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, Lloyd is my favorite for some reason.

;)

23. pattrickwolf

pattrickwolf New Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lets get one thing Striaght USA is still the best team in the World. The massive amount of fustration is seeing a team full of talent play soooo badly. The only consistant is Hope Solo and Hao.

We have the best Vet players, we have the best up and coming players. We have a strong midage range players. You wont find any other team with players like Abby, Rampone, Hao, Boxx, Solo. Lack luster performance can not derail these players. I will be the first to say Boxx SUCKS, but what these players provide with leadership and warrior mentality can not be compared to any others in the Worldcup. They are the embodyment of what USA stands for. They took the torch passed onto them by the previous golden generation. What they have the younger ones need, in hopes USA legacy continues.

Heath, Morgan, Cheney, Arod, Cox we have all seen glimpse of their talent.

As of now Cheney could be placed on the starting 11 of the tournament.

Arod, if we look at her from a broader prospective I think you will notice there hasnt been a defensive unit able to stop her. Her biggest crutch is herself. In every game she gets her chances, she isnt shut out of games, she just misses sitters. For me it shows that its her lack of concentration infront of goal. The talent is there we have all seen what she can do in the WPS, if she was to score a 1/3 of the chances she has had so far shed easily be one of the top scorers.

Morgan, what a talent she speaks for herself, but like Arod her confidence is low. If she starts against Brazil, I would not be shocked if she wins the game for USA, either scoring or causing hell for defenders.

Heath, for me if Heath was being used like germany uses their young players heath would be one of the best attackers in the world RIGHT NOW, not in the future but right now. It saddens me to see such talent riding the bench. Heath is a UNC kid, she can withstand the pressure, not just say she can (llyod,boxx) or wear the tshirt that says she can but actually preform in pressure zone. For as much flair she has, she has the fight to back it up.

Sooo much talent on the team and even sitting at home watching these games. Regardless the outcome USA is not in lack of worldclass players, we lack the guidence and the stepping stones to lead our players onto the worlds biggest stage.

Pia is a joke and a fraud, great philosophy but words are just words until you put them into action. She lacks the heart and bravery that the players she preaches to have. Theres no reason, our defense should be in the shape it is in. How long did she have to sort things out. Meghan Klingberg one of our biggest prospects for leftback should have been sorted into place, a year ago. Forcing players to play out of position has only proven to destroy confidence. Buehler used to preform consistantly at CB, she has not looked the same since her stint at leftback. Amy L has been roasted sooo many times at leftback, even if she is put back in the middle her confidence has taken a massive blow.

Lopez, i feel soo bad for her, you mean to tell me a player who has never played leftback is better than her. If thats the case why even have her on the team if she isnt good enough to play over someone out of position. Thats like saying, Boxx is a really good central player, lets put her as a centermid.

Lauren Cheney, first outing EVER as a leftmid. Granted she took the position and ran with it, thank God for that. You cant expect Heath, rampinoe, Ohara not to be offended that Cheney who has never played that position is better qualified than them, who has played the position their whole lives. Ok freak injury you have to adjust ok you put somone in out of position but the way Pia is going about it is unlogical, unorganized, and detrimental to a players development/confidence.

USA only competition is themselves. A organized USA is unbeatable.

24. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Your favorite what?

;)

25. pattrickwolf

pattrickwolf New Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

oh she is my favorite as well, but based on looks:p...well right behind Morgan and Cheney tied with Kriger