Pre/pbp/post 7/17/2011 WWC USA vs. Japan

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by elvinjones, Jul 13, 2011.

1. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    I seem to watch these two do this all the time and I don't melt down at all.

2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I also like the men's team, remember they beat Spain 2-0 and lost to Brazil in the final of 2009 Confederation Cup? I don't see people blame him.

3. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    They also had a 2-0 lead on Brazil and gave up 3 second half goals in that game.

4. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yes but not many people blame them because Spain and Brazil are the 2 top teams in the world. USWNT did a better job than them this time, it's sad but they are a great team, too.

5. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe look at this from another direction. Men shouldn't be criticized as harshly as they are. Fans from throughout the world have completely unrealistic expectations of their team and if - God forbid - the team falls before reaching those in an unflattering manner (losing a lead, missing three straight penalties in a shootout, etc.), fans rip the team apart, perhaps thinking for some reason that if it was them out there they would have been calm and easily made those penalties. Like it is something easy to do that should have been a piece of cake. That's not how sports work. They are intense and there are a lot of moving parts as to who wins a game. Bottom line, a team that finishes second at the World Cup is reason to celebrate. Too many people feel that if a team loses in a championship it is more reason to be ashamed than if they never came close to that level. Like somehow it is better to just toil in the ranks of the unappreciated then it is to actually be one of the top couple teams.

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FakeSigi has a great piece up pointing out the flaws in the "They Choked" meme.

7. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    I sent Ms. Hill a blistering rebuttal of the choke charge, and I forwarded it to FakeSigi. I'm curious to see if he replies to me.

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did you see the crap Gumble "stop coddling women athletes" piece? I'm not going to even link to the video here. Don't want him to get views w/o getting blistering rebuttals for that drivel.

9. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Also, did ESPN or any other big websites have a vote about how far USWNT will go before the tournament began?

10. fakesigi

fakesigi Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Manhattan Beach
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a great response, much more detailed as far as the match was concerned than my piece. Thanks for sending it along!

Also, feel free to post that, or a truncated version, in the comments of the site. My readers like to see different takes.

Thanks again!

-FS

11. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Thank you!

I will be happy to post it.

12. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    FakeSigi, I posted it.

And, one other point merits mention. I wrote to Ms. Hill before someone posted the slow motion video of Sawa's goal.

That goal was a masterpiece, as crushing as it is to have to say it.

But, it reinforces that the USA did not choke. It lost a late lead on a spectacular play.

By the way, as wrong as it is to say that the USWNT choked, those of you who are fans should at least be grateful that so many regular sports fans care enough to voice this opinion. This team is significant now. The team matters. Only teams that matter get accused of choking.

And, keep in mind this team's resonating with sports fans. Even those who accuse the team of choking have had to admit that the run to the final was a meaningful accomplishment.

13. katie14

katie14 Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ohio
    I read in a interview Ali Kreiger did that she was slated to take the number 5 PK against Japan. So essentially as many of pointed out our PK order would have been almost the same as against Brazil with the swap of Rapinoe & Tobin and Abby moving to the 4 spot.

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Christine Brennan makes a very good (and deft) point about Gumbel's whine.

15. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    I sent Brennan an email before Sunday's final pointing out how intense the support for the team was this time around and how unique it was (and asking her to pass it on to the team since it might be likely to reach them coming from her).

She sent a very nice response back. It's not the most earth-sh*ttering piece of news (I put the asterisk in so that the computer would not think I'm typing in an obscenity), but it's rare to have it happen, so I note it for good.

16. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, it's happening here, too. I've argued a couple places (including on Bill Archer's blog) that maybe the equality needs to go the other way around. There's just too much noise in sports (which 99% of the airtime means men's sports). Too much yelling. Too much screaming. Too much like a playground sandbox when the 5 year olds get out of control.

What is that word that keeps recurring in articles around the world on this World Cup? "Refreshing". Refreshing when it comes to the game. Refreshing when it comes to the lack of cynicism. Refreshing when it comes to the fans in the stadium.

17. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    In many ways it was sports at its best.

18. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, France did actually have a 38 year-old playing defensive midfield: Sandrine Soubeyrand. Rampone, on the other hand, is actually 36 (I almost said only 36 :)). Assuming both retire, the age gap becomes larger rather than smaller.

19. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    It'll be interesting to see if LeBron will tweet about the USWNT this summer.

20. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a clip and one od his kids plays soccer so I am sure Lbaron James is getting into soccer Too.

Although I do not like roster selection I will be cheering the gals on.