Pre/pbp/post 7/13 WWC USA vs. France

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by thegamesthatrate, Jul 11, 2011.

1. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Wahl got new quotes and didn't base it on old video. Further down he has more quotes from Solo about the team feeling on Monday. Either way, the time is now for all the players on this USWNT to step up and prove their quality and ability.

France is a *very* difficult opponent. I can see how they might beat us very easily. They're sooo fast. And technical as a team.

2. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    You just have to play smart and disciplined against France. With their movement they will try to pull your defense and midfield out of position.

3. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007

They may be faster but physically they may have issues. Do they have anyone that can match up to Abby? I just don't recall seeing anyone. I really hope we practiced set pieces today.

Either way it is going to be a great game and a close game. I don't nknow about you guys, but I am more nervous then I think the players are. They control their own destiny. We however are at the mercy of others lol.

4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Renard or Georges will match up against Abby, imo. Most likely Georges as Renard was out of favor after her unfortunate miscues against Germany. Georges is high quality.

Any scoring chance the USA gets MUST be capitalized upon -- a < 30% SOG outing like we saw against Sweden will see us sent home.

Color me *very* worried.

5. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The card situation we have to worry about is this - two yellow cards in a single game and you're out. :)

Heikkinen is a very firm, decisive ref from what we've seen. Knock off the dissent - she doesn't want to hear it. And don't get a card for time-wasting in the 70th minute. Etc.

6. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ain't that the truth! Here they were taking PKs and I was trembling so much I couldn't even type text messages on my phone!

7. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering how highly regarded Abily and Bompastor were when they played here, there's really no chance the US is going to take them lightly. The USA can easily lose this match but it won't be from underestimating the opponents. The newcomers in the news media might fall into that trap but any of us serious fans know better.

8. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    The French will be well-organized and technically sound. Where we might have an edge is in physicality and temperament. Don't let them get too confident... Put a bit of doubt in their minds and the organism suffers.

9. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually thought the most interesting thing in the piece was about Becky saying she would not have made the team if not for being able to play in WPS, which flies in the face of those who say WPS does not provide opportunities or Pia doesn't watch WPS etc....

I didn't take anything they said about the 1999 team to be insulting in any way. It's just fact. Cliveworshipper astutely made the same essential point early in this tournament -- there are not a lot of 4-0 games anymore as there is more parity and that's good for the women's game globally. Lloyd especially went out of her way to praise the 99ers to preface her comments.

I know you dislike Lloyd's game immensely but she has offered some big, positive moments in this tournament while also sprinkling in some moments that confound you. I still think the good has outweighed the bad. The latest would be the great run she had that led to the game tying goal against Brazil. I thought Pia might have wanted to sub her out instead of Cheney due to the yellow and the fact that she has played every minute of WWC. But I am glad she didn't and now understand why. That last play might not happen without her in the game. Boxx and Lloyd both did a solid job defensively in that game IMO. Also, she is great at PKs and that certainly paid off.

1 person likes this.
  10. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007

Well said Kola. Huge respect for both ladies. Aside from being great players they seem to be good people. Even if we win..A part of me will feel bad for them.

And mata, thank your for the translation. I thought that was the gist of things but I couldn't exacltly pick it up because they were talking over one another and not facing the camera. I also heared one of the other girls (i think it was Necib) joking with the coach after saying they will be playing the americans in football.

11. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty nervous too, I mean the USA team is in a larger spotlight right now and I'm sure more people will be watching this next game then their previous matches to see if they win.

If they don't win, its like anti-climatic to what happened on Sunday and nobody is going to care about them anymore. If they do win, they take that momentum into the Final.

The finishing has been horrid with this team. I know Abby can do better with finishing on those set pieces and they better practice with those today.

The other issue that I don't think we can fix is going to be tired legs. There has to be some way we can rest the players. Does Pia rest Boxxy and put in Lindsay? How healthy is O'reilly?

12. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    I gotta repost some tweets from Comedian Wanda Sykes Startting with the game Sunday. Apparently her wife is french. With that context see below:

-Watching Women's World Cup. USA got robbed. The refs stink!

-@biaregina What does that have to do with the saved penalty kick? The goalie didn't move. That was an awful call. Refs stinks!

-Gooooaaaallllll! That's! What I'm talkin about!!! HELL YEAH!!!!!

-SOLO!!!! Great save!!!

-USA!!! Way to go ladies. WhooHoo!!!

-Oh oh! USA plays France on Wed. That's going to be a good time at our house. We should just call the cops now.

"@slevin888: @iamwandasykes you should have a wc party on Wednesday and I will bring the alcohol" That's like bringing sand to the beach.

@BiggKevMac I'm thinking about painting the babies' face. USA!

13. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you are not a fan, but I wish Lloyd's great release under pressure to Rapinone was shown on all the highlights of the tying goal. Reminded me a lot of the great pass by JOB to Lewis before Donovan's clincher vs Mexico in 2002......

14. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was even better about that play was the composure she showed to dribble and hold the ball under duress for as long as she did, to free up Rapinoe. A very professional, composed and vital run.

Most players would have kicked it as hard as they could to wards goal hoping for a good bounce, the USWNT kept playing soccer, brilliant!

I can't stop watching the play and every time, I still think she's going to lose ball.

If they lose to France it will be crushing to a lot of American fans I think, I think a lot of them are emotionally involved/attatched right now. Hope for more heroics come Wednesday.

This WWC has been, for me, the most exciting WWC since it all began.I think the parity has a lot to do with it, every game must be played tooth and nail to win. Out of all the women's sports, I enjoy soccer the best.

15. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was including the run in the "under pressure" comment, however I was not clear, but I agree completely that it was an amazing play all around.

16. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    It has been a much more competitive WWC than any other that I can recall. That's great for the sport in general I think.

17. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I've said before (ie NK game thread), I'm not so blinkered that I never admit when Lloyd does the right thing nor makes a great play. And my "get 'er done" was cheering for her to do just that -- bring home the victory.

That entire sequence -- from Krieger pressuring Christiane in the corner to Lloyd's pass to Rapinoe to the cross to Abby's header into the back of the net -- was great. I jumped up & down and cheered.

But tomorrow is a big test on a bigger stage. France is very, very good. They are organized, fast, pass well, have belief in themselves (they came from behind vs Eng w/ an unbelievable goal), and are fighting for coverage/acceptance/etc at home.

I give them the edge over a USA team with one day's less rest.

18. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007

I agree..imagine where we may be in 10 years...

19. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +2.

The next world cup will add teams so in the short run, there will likely be a couple of higher scores again in 2015. But overall, the women's game is growing by leaps and bounds world wide. Nothing but a good thing.

20. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    So where are you guys going to watch the game? At home? work?

I am going over to the local French restaurant with friends. I figure why not just walk into the fire!!! lol Actually the French are passionate but not rude or obnoxious. Heck if their team is not playing well they are far more negative about them then the opposition.

21. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've taken the middle of the day off. I have yet to decide where I'm watching. Need to sort that out.

22. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The keys to this game IMHO,

Get HAO involved often.
    HAO has been the "other" dimension in the US attack, but against Brazil, we didn't play down her side often enough. It's evident we like to play impatiently with direct balls forward, but we also need to add the "X-factor" in.

Play patiently starting from the back.
    Why do we keep playing long balls from the back? After constantly hustling for the ball in the midfield and defense, why are we so eager to just give it away again with hopeful balls? As others have said, when we went down a player vs Brazil, we seemed to be more patient with the ball, and our play was more effective because of it. So it's not like we aren't capable of playing with composure and patience; it's just a mental block we have to get through.

Continue with the tactics in defense which served us well against Brazil. As I've harped on before, our direct style and high defensive line have not complemented each other well. Against Brazil, we respected their ability to come at us with speed and dropped back.

Final thoughts: While I respect France, I don't necessarily agree that they are one of the stronger teams we've faced so far. I believe we have a good chance to win, but key to this game is how well we dictate the play instead of chase it. They are going to play a high pressure game and look for the obvious chances, which is similar to our style. We can't allow them endless opportunities by simply giving the ball away at will.

23. katie14

katie14 Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ohio
    Completely agree with everything you said here! It will be interesting to see how the defense plays with Becky in the lineup. She obviously brings a little more speed than Beuhler so that will help some. But honestly it was a whole team defensive effort that beat Brazil and we will need to do the same against France.

And I know I have been saying I am confident in this team all along (and yes I even posted it when down a goal and a man against Brazil) but for some reason I just think they can get it done. I admit I'm not the most educated on France but I just think this team can pull it out. Maybe Pia's positive attitude is rubbing off on me too ;)

24. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wanted to post a pic of the French leading scorers:

[​IMG]

Hopefully, there are a couple of people here old enough to get this......:p

25. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still feel like this game is a classic trap game.

A LOT of distractions for the team between Sunday night and tonight. Were they able to pull it together? And conserve energy for the dead legs to recover?

Game faces during the anthems will tell a lot. The French anthem is pretty inspiring. You know, except when it is inspiring people to kick our butts...then it is troubling.