Pre/pbp/post 7/13 WWC USA vs. France

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by thegamesthatrate, Jul 11, 2011.

1. kittenbiscuits

kittenbiscuits New Member

May 8, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want Lindsay in over Lloyd. We still need Boxx's defensive presence, but would like better ball distribution. Lindsay is better at that than Lloyd.

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we all know it will be a cold day in hell b/f that switch is made by Pia for tomorrow's game barring unforeseen and unknown calamitous injury.

I'm worried about Boxx's legs after that 120min. But I don't think Lindsey is mobile enough to track the central mids from France that will be making all sorts of runs through the midfield. Would have been nice to have had a back up dmid on the roster right about now.

3. katie14

katie14 Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ohio
    Well folks it sounds like the lineup will stay the same according to Foudy's twitter:

JulieFoudy Julie Foudy
    It also appears Rampone will stay n left center back postn, with Sauerbrunn next to Krieger n RCB spot. No other changes from looks of it.

Obviously not an official announcement but interesting since she's watching practices. Also she said Abby wasn't practicing and had ice on her heel.

4. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be shocked if there were any changes other than the mandated one for Buehler.

I really don't think any coach would make changes after that win.

5. kittenbiscuits

kittenbiscuits New Member

May 8, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there's a pic somewhere, also had ice on her thigh.

6. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm overjoyed I was wrong about the Brazil game. But while Brazil has the most talented individual attackers in the tournament, France attacks best as a team. And the short turnaround concerns me, especially for Boxx, Rampone, and Abby.

Quick note: for those wanting to get a read on France, I don't know that the 4-2 loss to Germany is the best game. From reports, the French wanted England in the QF, and they knew a loss would get them. Plus, they arguably didn't filed their strongest lineup in that game (Bompastor and Abily didn't start, among some others), the GK got a red, Necib only played a half, etc. Still, they managed to put up 2 on the Germans. I'd look at the Canada or England games for a more accurate picture of what they play like. And they are damn good.

I'm concerned that their CM's will dominate play, especially with Boxx on short rest. Brazil kind of leaves their Three Amigos isolated up top, and trusts in them to make things happen on their own. France attacks a team. While their forwards aren't as good as Brazil's (whose are?), their attacking MF play is the best I've seen in the tournament and the forwards can finish. Very worried.

Hopefully, their inexperience will help us.

7. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    cool clip of french team cheering on us v brazil
    http://video.eurosport.fr/football/...1/attention-kostadinov._vid188287/video.shtml

ok any other french speakers in the house. Trying to figure out what abiliy and bombastor are saying..

at about 1:17

Abily: "Already you will see..all of america will ask why France is never.."

Sonia: "not take another...this is sure

Coach: "Knowing"

Sonia: yes all know ____ team

Coach: __________

Sonia: That works..We shall see"

8. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007

I think if it was purely france mid v our mid we would have a disdvantage in terms of possession. However, France has a weaker back line. So long as we are putting pressure on them, some of the midfield will have to spend time on Defense and that may very well distrupt their play. I think having saurbraun on our back line will be an advantage because she has pace and excellent positioning. So long as her and rampone play well together I think we will have lots of opportunities to push forward.

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. They pretty much destroyed Canada. Much more representative of what we'll see, imo, than the Germany game. I don't think France wanted to lose that game. Nor do I really think they were playing for second. But, they did get a couple of folks some rest in that game -- Bompastor did not play at all (was on a YC).

I see France with the definite advantage in the game. Their (significant) strengths will directly match up against our biggest weaknesses. France should be favored even w/o the extra day of rest. With the extra day of rest? We should start thinking about who we want to face in the 3rd place game.

10. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your link doesn't seem to work (at least not for me). This is the one you meant right?

Link

11. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007

Yes tk You ...i think i just fixed it.

12. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Interesting French quotes from a story in the Jakarta Globe (read it every morning):

"Comparing the two nations is impossible, [France Coach] Bini said."

“'They are the No. 1 nation in the FIFA rankings. They have 2.5 million club players. It’s sure that it’s easier to find 21 than when you have 55,000 club players to chose from,' he said.

“'But you’re not Under-19 European champions, European quarterfinalists and World Cup semifinalists without being competent in some way.'

"Defender Laura Georges believes France has a fighting chance in the most important game of its players’ careers."

"The US is 'solid, tactically very well organized and athletically very strong. We’re going to really test ourselves on that level. They have a real athletics culture, but everything is to play for as it is in every match,' she said."

Here's the link:

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/spor...ple-us-team-in-womens-cup-france-coach/452504

13. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. hdtvfan

hdtvfan New Member

Jun 7, 2006
    I see that the forecast for Munchengladbach for tomorrow calls for light rain and a high of 65F, that would be some pretty decent temperatures for playing the game, I do hope that the rain holds off though.

15. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope the US players wear the right cleats. How many times have we seen players slip (ARod and a couple of others spring to mind) in this WWC w/o rain?

And a wet surface might have challenges we think are going to get ball be late/sloppy (Boxx & Lloyd, I'm looking at you). And the ref assigned to the game is not shy with her cards.

16. katie14

katie14 Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ohio
    It makes me a little nervous that this ref is somewhat card happy. The US has proved at times to be a bit sloppy with defending fouls and they give up important free kicks. In the last 2 matches against tougher teams we have seen 2 PKs, 1 dangerous free kick Beuhler gave up that deflected off LP, and countless other opportunities around our box. Plus as you point out Boxx and Lloyd have a tendency to come in late for challenges sometimes and have gotten quite a few fouls called on them. If this ref truly is card happy I wouldn't be surprised to see multiple yellow cards for our girls. But somebody needs to remind our players to be a little more careful on our penalty box. Giving up 2 PKs in 2 games is not okay at this point in the tournament.

17. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    At the end, the coach type wants to think that the Yanks will take the French lightly BUT the two players say that the US won't take them lightly. "They think we have a good team."

18. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A game preview with good info on the French team for those interested.

19. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008

That video of france cheering usa on is adorable. I love the french girls. I wish this were the final.

20. Non-dairy Creamer

Feb 28, 2007
    what's the card situation for our players? with a card-happy ref I'm concerned. Or were they wiped out?

I think with France's ball control it's going to be even more important to not give it away cheaply. IF we defend alot it will take more energy from us.

Lindsey give us that so it might be a good idea to start her. I think players like Boxx and Lloyd are even more likely to jump in and foul if they're tired.

if Heather can't go b/c of the groin maybe A-Rod at right mid using her speed to shut down Thiney/Abiley? I still think A-Rob brings something to the game.

21. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All yellows cleared. Buehler has to sit her red card suspension.

Like you, I'm worried about HAO's knock. She, rather quietly, puts in high quality work game after game after game.

23. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007

I am actually relieved that we have suerbraunn starting tommorow. Not to take away from buhler, but I personnaly feel she will give us more pace back there and like rampone she seems to have a nack of getting in the right place at the right time. She also is confident and willing to hold on to possession much longer then most. I just do not recall her and rampone on the same field at the same time before so I am not 100% sure about the dynamic.

24. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew before I even read the article that Solo would provide the primary "quotes" for this type of piece. And having Lloyd as the only other team member quoted isn't surprising. Only one of those two have gotten close to belonging on the same field w/ those players that have come before.

Lloyd still has a chance to step up. Come on, Lloyd. Get 'er done tomorrow.

I'm more worried that Solo says it took the team a little longer than expected to re-focus after Sunday's game. They need to be 100% dialed in from the get go.

25. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007

I think I actually heared some of the video after the game where those quotes arise from. I don't think they were putting down the 99's in any way, I just don't think they were thinking about it. Even watching all the coverage I did not realize that was the same day anniversary until someone mentioned it during the match. Their point wasn't that they don't respect the 99 moment but it wasn't a factor THAT day in what they did. I just don't think it was really on their mind when they went out there to play, so when asked if they were playing for that...they are going to say no.