Pre/pbp/post 7/10 WWC USA vs. Brazil

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Namdynamo, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, a Brazilian got to the ball first although I think the encroaching player did get there in time to defend.

2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Game 6 of the 1986 World Series (Mets vs. Red Sox) was one of the worst baseball games ever played, it was also one of the best games of all time.

3. Non-dairy Creamer

Feb 28, 2007

here's the video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5znnDb0dR4"]YouTube - ‪USA vs. Brazil | 2011 Women's World Cup | Red card, PK controversy, Marta, Hope Solo‬‏[/ame]

at 16 sec., they only show it in entirety once, but the US player who marginally encroached actually overran the ball and the first player to touch it was a Brasilian who was guarded by Rampione, looked just outside the box as well when the Brasilian finally touched it,

plus, per espn ---- FIFA's official explanation was b/c Solo came off her line, which makes it even worse.

the call apparently came from the AR whose only responsibility is to watch the keeper but re-watch and just watch the AR. After the save she starts to trot backwards, switching the flag from one hand to the other and all of a sudden the whistle is blown, strange.

4. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Theyre better than Brazil... much better. We were badly outplayed by Brazil

5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    outplayed so badly we only managed one goal while a man down....

6. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007

I don't know what game you were watching but it sure as hell wasn't the same game I saw.

7. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A view I've yet to read about the PK call in-game and the fake injury:

I think the pk call is controversial no matter what, but it's a plausible call. No streaming TV ref, right? Also, remember that the ball was bouncing away from Marta, and she of course will stretch out as far as possible and reach for it, which necessitates a dive. Her foot was going towards the ball and the USA defender had her hand on Marta.
    So I actually didn't see any terrible fake dive at all, I saw a jump though.

The fake Brazilian injury: remember to put it into perspective. Top men's league players do this all the time :rolleyes: , the ONLY difference is that they act a little better a little longer.

So in essence the Brazilian was much more honest about the game than a C. Ronaldo or Italian male player faking injury.

Fifa has made it clear that acting is a legit part of the game that is simply a counterpart to reffing.

8. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    The ref was so horrible, it almost makes me miss this one:

[​IMG]

9. Lorrie Fair

Lorrie Fair Member

Jul 31, 2010

Agree. USA took it to them with 10..

10. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Two sentences that are both absolutely incorrect.

11. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    The only thing more annoying than people who discount the US performance against a team that all the so-called experts were touting as a big favorite (what do you call a team that had the officials allow TWO ridiculous goals AND made them play a man down for the last hour, AND that really dominated play for long stretches while short-handed? I guess if you just don't like the US women winning, you call it a bad effort), and what's this the sudden love affair with France. Jeff Carlisle is a moron - US courage over Brazilian skill huh? What skill is that? The willingness to look ridiculous falling over with no one around? Marta sticking her leg out and getting lucky? A bunch of step-overs while looking to play over the top? Face it, if the ref doesn't basically try to give the game to them (contentious decisions?? just wrong, that's all - no contention) this ends up 2-0 or more . . .

The Brazilians looked pedestrian, and the US was able to control tempo and reduce them to cheating, whining, and ultimately surrendering. I'm not sure what the US was supposed to do here to get some respect - does anyone think there will be a World Cup knockout game where the US (or anyone else) has 80% of the possession?

The French team is playing really well. They only lost to Germany 4-2, after all. And they beat an English team that is only about as over-rated as is humanly possible, in PK's. Le Sommer has been a revelation, Bompastor has been the best outside back in the tournament (with the possible exception of Krieger) - but come on. The US isn't going in with a puncher's chance here . . .

12. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Sure we did. We were on our heels all night. Brazil had many more quality chances, was faster, was better on the ball. We had a hard time stringing more that 4 passes together and still had too much long ball. We were very lucky to take it to pks. Wambach picked a good time to show up

Im no Brazil lover. In fact, I don't like them at all, I thought Marta's pk call was a dive and I hate the way they whine about calls. My real point in all this is that I think US soccer is in serious decline and that we drastically need a total change after all this is over. We should be much, much better

13. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Well, you certainly are entitled to your opinion. It happens to be in serious conflict with the game that was just broadcast, but you can enjoy the fact that the USWNT team outplayed Brazil on the day and still keep your general opinion about decline. That would be more credible, IMHO.

14. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Amen.

15. maileehawj

maileehawj New Member

Sep 28, 2007
    I watch soccer but am not as religious & informed on rules as you guys/gals on here. So my question for you is, is it normal to have two different players take the same penalty kick? Cristiane missed her PK so instead Marta steps up to take it when technically it was for the same penalty kick and should have gone back to the original shooter. Right?

16. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Anybody can take the shot. Some coaches want a different player in to give a different look.

17. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, the goal would have been scored, but it would have been scored at 119' or 120' instead of 120'+2'.

18. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring on ze French. :cool:

19. rtung

rtung Member

Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Look people, this is probably the most drama-filled soccer game and best US win I've ever watched (I didn't see the Champions League final in Turkey that Liverpool won with an insane comeback, but did see the USA-Algeria WC'10 game), and if you want to say that the US outplayed Brazil, no one can stop you, though it certainly would make me think that you don't know much about soccer (out-toughed Brazil, sure, but that's different from out-played). It's pretty clear that Brazil had far more skill, but was tactically naive and not nearly as fit as the Americans. However, the US , when it had 11 players, displayed all the skill and sophistication of a lower-table English second-division side from the '70's, pressing hard, but consistently giving the ball away. Plus, they weren't even working the ball to the wings to send in a cross; they were repeatedly sending aimless hopeful long balls under no pressure from midfield or the back to random Brazilians 30 yards in front.

The fighting spirit was terrific, but what happens when they face an opponent that has the same stamina and spirit but has more skill and can string passes together?

It's disturbing that while most other countries have improved by leaps and bounds over the past 12 years, the US, which probably has the biggest women's soccer talent pool in the world, shows less tactical sophistication and skill than the '99 USWNT.

BTW, my take in the officiating was that it wasn't good, but it was a wash, and didn't decide the game (& wouldn't have decided the game even if the US had lost). I wouldn't have awarded the penalty and given a red card, but if you look at the replay, you can see that Buehler had a fistful of Marta's shirt, so if the ref saw only that, it's hard to fault her for giving a penalty (or a straight red). On the other hand, I would have given Carli Lloyd a second yellow earlier in the half for her stupid blatant handball in midfield. I also think the rekick was harsh, but there was clear encroachment, so the US can't really complain there (however, the official FIFA report was wrong as Solo clearly wasn't off her line).

20. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    In one of these threads people wanted to see foreign-language commentary on Abby's goal. Found Arabic (I think) here:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F-JXHHA3SI&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F-JXHHA3SI&feature=related[/ame]

21. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    Totally disagree with your first paragraph, but agree with your second paragraph.

22. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008

absolutely! I've watched the game twice! truly amazing. Abby's pure determination did a lot for this team. And Christie!!!

Sorry Brazil, but you've been Ramponed.

23. Grogtank

Grogtank Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That PK call was shocking. I'm guessing that there is no rule stating the same person has to take it. IMO it should be the same person if it has to be taken again. Nothing was said anyway. Anyone care to step in?

24. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Anybody can take it. I have even seen Hope Solo take one in College.

Often coaches prefer different players do it to add to the keeper's stress.

Perfectly legal.