(Pre-Match) Trinidad & Tobago vs El Salvador 8/12/09

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by aguimarães, Jun 7, 2009.

1. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Trinidad & Tobago vs El Salvador

2. mcdwg76

mcdwg76 Member

Jan 30, 2009
    OKinawa, Japan
    Club:
    Alianza FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    El Salvador wins 1-0, We win this game we're still in the fight, we lose we're done. A win is possible.

3. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I serioulsy don't see us losing this game. Hopefully our players still play with there all, by this game we will have Luis Anaya, Shawn Martin, and Arturito so it's definitely looking good for us and bad for T&T.

4. efijbe

efijbe Member

Sep 12, 2008
    Katy, Tx
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Who would Luis Anaya replace?

Shawn Martin has lost his spot to Martinez.

5. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    The way Salazar has been playing Anaya has lost his spot too. But depending on his form when he comes back, i'd play Salazar in the centre of defence next to Gonzalez and then give Anaya back his spot at RWB.

6. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Let's have it right. Julio is a fantastic player, who played great against USA and Mexico, however he didn't to much vs Honduras. Now, i understand he has done his job well, but i still think Shawn Martin in the long run will win his spot back. In fact i can almost guarantee it. IF he doesn't he will still be a key player in our Selecta and will be a key substitute. As far as Anaya i would too put Luis Anaya at the RB and squeeze Manuel in the Center with Marvin.

7. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Personally i think if you look at the games ratio of how good/bad each of these players (Martin & Martinez) have played with the national team, Martinez, although he has had less opportunites, has done more in terms of having greater consistency. And for that, i'd think that once Martin comes back, he'll be starting off on the bench. That's not to say he couldn't win his spot back, but right now, even though Martinez had a dissapointing game against Honduras, he's still our prefered RW.

8. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Greater consistency? He has only played above average in two games? Are you telling me that Shawn hasn't done anything for us? That just blows my mind. :eek: Like i said, i think Julio is a hell of a player but i still think that Martin will take his spot, most likely by the USA game. Julio doens't defend as well as Shawn, however he is a greater attacking threat. But at this point with the incorporation of Arturito we won't need much of him tbh.

9. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    All i'm saying is that right now, Martinez has only nine caps with the national team (six of those coming this year), and from those nine i think that overall, he has had more above average showings per game then Martin.

I'm not saying Martin isn't any good or that he adds nothing to the team, what i'm saying is that i terms of concistency IMO, Martinez has done more with the game time that he's been given. Yes, he didn't play as well as we expected yesterday, but he wasn't the only one. Granted he played well against both the USA and Mexico, but he also had decent games against Costa Rica and Ecuador (even though he didn't get much game time).

Also, i said that it's not impossible for Martin to get his spot back, it is a possibility. But i VERY much doubt that DLC would take out Martinez straight away once Shawn is fit and healthy. He'll be starting on the bench, so that shouldn't come as a shock to anyone. Again, it's not like such a great player that he can just walk into the squad. It's gonna be tough for him, but at the same time tough for Martinez to hold down his spot. It's a good thing though as both will want to raise their game and prove that they should be in the starting 11.

Also as for Alvarez, well for one, it's not a done deal yet that he'll be coming over to us, and two, it's unknown how he will play (form and position wise) if he does infact join us. So IMO, we shouldn count on him as an addition until the time when his selection is confirmed directly by DLC or someone in the national team set up.

10. L.A.Firpo84

L.A.Firpo84 Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    AA is a done deal DLC stated in a article that not only AA will be called up but Mayen as well for the Gold Cup...

DLC would be crazy if he didn't call up AA....the only problem would be, when does the change in rule go into effect , is strange most changes are applied immediately.

Im not to crazy about Mayens addition maybe DLC will work him in like he did with Zelaya. Who knows maybe The kid turns out to be a Cienfuegos.....

I would cut Corrales bring AA in and cut Coreas to give room for Martin...

11. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    True, but it was not a direct quote from DLC, it was a journalist who stated that DLC had said that. Of course that's not to say he didn't, but the way the media plays things up sometimes i'd rather hear it directly from him (or someone in the setup) instead of through someone else.

Also if he did say that, it was clear that he did not know much about the new FIFA ruling as he assumed Alvarez would be able to play in the Gold Cup, when it now seems clear that he won't.

Also another thing that could effect us would be if for some reason the US decide to call up Alvarez for the Gold Cup. From what i hear he is on a short list of players who could get a call up, in which case if he does, it would be interesting to see who he decides to play with, as then we'd know who he'd truely prefer join.

As for Mayen, well that case is even more complex as although DLC has stated that he might be interesting in talking to him and seeing him play in the flesh, he (Mayen) seems to now be more commited to the US, and might be attending the World Cup (U20 World Cup).

Either way it'll be interesting to see how things go from now until the start of the Gold Cup. By then we should have a clearer image of who, if any, new players will be brought into the system.

12. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa
    ahh last time I checked this is a must win for us too ppl, and u guys have a short memory, what happened in the last game again hmmm. We get all our players back too lol, so thats good for us bad for u. Must win at home against a team we should have beat first round 3-1 final score!

13. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Last game? We were robbed by two should of been called penalties. One of them left our player seriously injured! Secondly, T&T has been playing terribly, and were a better team then you guys anyway. I really wish you guys have all your stars, because i don't think it will make a difference.

14. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I think ES is able to get at least one point from this game, If they dont do it, they can say bye bye to the WC

15. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    So does that mean that even with a win Trinidad will also be out of contention?

16. mcdwg76

mcdwg76 Member

Jan 30, 2009
    OKinawa, Japan
    Club:
    Alianza FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Should've, would've. The fact is El Salvador has not let anyone score more than two goals in one game in this hex. If we're talking posibilities here, we could have beat the US, at least tied Costa Rica and Honduras. All we need to do is do the same and score. El Salvador is a lot better than the first game, T&T is a lot worse looking at the results.

17. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    A lot of things look worse if all you're doing is looking at results. Granted i agree with you that El Salvador's worse game in the Hex was against Trinidad, but i don't think it's fair to judge the Trindad team based soley on results. Teams can play well, or better than another team and still lose. If you haven't seen all of Trinidad's games, then you can't rule out the chance that this is something that they've been experiencing.

18. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Realistically if we don't get 3 were done. :(

19. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I think Trinidad is already out of contention

20. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    This will make or break ES's campaign and either could really solidify their chances to make it or absolutely kill them.

21. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa
    lol thanks for saying exactly what I was thinking, but If ppl want to go ahead and just look at the results fine by me if u get a shalacking in Port of Spain and want to know where it all went wrong then maybe they might actually watch the games we lost.

22. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    True. But remember, that goes both ways too. :rolleyes:

23. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa
    I've seen most of their games except for the US game only saw highlights for that one. Admittedly the first game was their worst but it was also one of our better games.

24. pipilesunidos

pipilesunidos Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    trini,

obviously, you havent discovered nothing new! Trinidad is more wounded and need to get points, we understand that. on the other hand ES if they want to be serious contender have to win as well, at least not loose.

Trinidad is a competitive team, had tough breaks loosing by a goal two games, both teams think they can beat each other comparing to the other oponents who on paper are stronger than TRINI and ES.

One thing I can assure you, ES team is growing tremendously, they have clear idea of their game, when they attack and defend they have a defined and organized way of doing it, they understand they have to recover the ball ASAP, something I have noticed in the past 3 games which tickles my hopes.

and was shocked when the Honduras commentators pointed that out, and even said they are the most organized team they have seen in the whole HEXAGONAL? maybe thats to much, but one thing I'm sure is that our team is growing in their game style and don't believe in no one else but what they want to accomplish.

Is a must win ARRIBA EL SALVADOR, Primero Dios 1-0

25. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa
    The only way ES wins is if they out score T&T like Costa Rica did. Im pretty sure with the way the new coach has us playing T&T will score in this game.