Pre-Match / Match / Post-Match Thread - Toronto FC at FC Dallas - April 19, 2009 (R)

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by atlanticTFCfan, Apr 12, 2009.

1. wpg_tfc

wpg_tfc New Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, time to move on, folks. Really, we have the top club coming into BMO on Wednesday. Chivas is bound to lose sooner or later, and an angry TFC could be the team to do it.
    The fact that they got themselves out of a 2-0 hole on Sunday gives me some hope. It's a long season, so no point dwelling on a very agrivating game.
    Send the Goats back to LA with their first loss, boys!

2. busbyboy74

busbyboy74 Member

Apr 13, 2007
    416 Proper
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Who said sarcasm is dead? :eek:

3. smenge

smenge New Member

Apr 5, 2008
    toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I agree. Look, I will try to give Carver and Barrett, and Harmse and Brennan, and Iggy a little breathing room. It is just very difficult to watch this team game in, and game out, doing the same things over and over again. I know, that guys like me, are very hard to please, but most of you will be clamouring for real changes in the off season, because unless the team changes course very quickly, this season is lost. They will struggle to beat Montreal and Vancouver again, and once again, Mo will be promising us new things to come in 2010.

4. T-boy

T-boy New Member

Apr 28, 2007
    T-dot
    I don't think I've ever seen an indirect free kick in the penalty area for a handball - in fact, I don't think that's even a possibility in the rule book. A handball in the box is always a penalty.

I think I'll go as far as saying it was definitely a handball, and it was definitely a penalty in this case.

5. torontofcmark

torontofcmark Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    thats harsh to say about the goals surrendered. stopping a header off a free kick that is that quick is almost impossible. and Kenny cooper put a perfect ball in the corner. Thats what a striker does. Perfectly placed.

Not sure if you played goal before..but i have and do....recreationally but ive been in all those situations. You cant watch the goals that go in (unless they are really bad mistakes) but watch how he approaches the way he keeps his team positioned, his positioning, and his fearless ability.

6. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I've thought incidental ball to hand in the box could result in an indirect free kick, similar to back passes to the keeper.

Since we've been burned by two of these it's time I reread the laws more carefully.

7. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sometimes, I wonder if any of the MLS on-field officials read them.

8. alexb746

alexb746 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    The rule is ambiguous. Referees must use their discretion. The ambiguity lies in the word "deliberate". Was Marvell's handball deliberate in Sunday's game? I can't see how the referee can possibly argue that it was. You often here referees talk about whether or not the hand or arm is in an "unnatural" position to determine intent. Again, I have trouble seeing how Marvell's hand/arm position could possible be interpreted as unnatural. He was running and a certain amount of arm movement should be permitted... unless you are a freak of nature like Arjen Robben.

That being said, what's done is done. Two bad penalty calls against Toronto this year have cost us at least a point... maybe as much as 4. The flip side of this is that the football gods really do owe us one. Hopefully, it comes when we need it most. :)

9. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's generally why I don't get too upset about these things. I have zero doubt that we were robbed on this one, but by the law of averages we'll eventually find ourselves on the good end of a situation like this. And that's why I'll admit it when a ref makes an bad call in our favour.

10. guppy

guppy New Member

May 19, 2007
    Aquarium
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nepal
    Ya I'd have been really surprised if it wasn't called. It looked like a ball bouncing off a baseball bat. When it's blatant like that, the rules don't matter, it will be called. There's no time to put it thru a board of inquiry ...