Pre-Match / Match / Post-Match Thread - CCL - Toronto FC vs. CD Aguila - August 1, 2012 (R)

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by atlanticTFCfan, Jul 4, 2012.

?

How will the Toronto FC - Club Deportivo Aguila match finish?

Poll closed Aug 1, 2012.
  1. Toronto FC wins by two or more goals

50.0%
  2. Toronto FC wins by one goal

50.0%
  3. It'll end in a draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Club Deportivo Aguila wins by one goal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Club Deportivo Aguila wins by two or more goals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dexter1258

Dexter1258 Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Owensboro, ky
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Glad I'm not the other one

2. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Spanish commentators make everything entertaining. See first goal here:

3. Dexter1258

Dexter1258 Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Owensboro, ky
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Should be "only"

4. kaiteng

kaiteng Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Well, TFC has to score as many as possible since goal differences matter, and they did it pretty nicely. :thumbsup:

5. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    the year 1983 called. it wants its rat tail hair-style back

6. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Aguila might well be the worst team TFC has ever faced. Worse than Esteli.
    Certainly not a bad performance from us though

7. kaiteng

kaiteng Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Well, the next CCL at BMO Field will sure be A LOT more competitive than this. TFC did very well last time, probably Santos didn't take it that seriously. Well, they won't this time.

8. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    if it comes down to goal-difference these last 20 minutes are gonna hurt, what was Mariner thinking? needed more. i don't know what he sees in Wiedeman and Amarikwa either.

9. Dexter1258

Dexter1258 Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Owensboro, ky
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    According to mr Brian dunseth they are....and I quote "terrible". And, toronto should have scored 30 more goals

10. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    remember when we giggled and hoped Wiedeman wasn't going to be like Marosevic? he plays exactly like Marosevic. Amarikwa is a black Jacob Peterson. i hate when we sign depth scrubs who have no future with TFC and then proceed to play them regular...meanwhile we've had better options here the whole time.

11. claw hammer

claw hammer Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    I dunno about finisher, but I think Wiedeman is the slowest striker in modern times, or whatever they got him doing. Takes him about 10 minutes to get to where the camera is filming, so it seems like he's not on the field.

12. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    and Maund over Stinson as the holding MF sub is even more perplexing.

i honestly feel bad for Stinson he's been toiling for years we should let him find a new opportunity elsewhere.

13. scarborotfcfan

May 26, 2008
    I agree that this is the worst team TFC has ever faced. Aguila never looked like scoring which sounds wierd since they got one but they never really had much sustained pressure at all. TFC could have easily scored two or three more. I know playing away is a different animal but for how one-sided it was, I think this group phase is really a home and away with Santos accompanied by warmup games against Aguila. I guess they are early in their prep for the season but this was just mind-blowingly one-sided...

14. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Was at the game last night. Sparsest crowd ever. Under 6000. And I'd say of those close to 40 per cent were wearing Blue or Orange shirts. Felt like an away game at times. Even the south end was only about half filled, but credit to them for keeping their voices high the whole game.

Fun game to watch. Can't remember us running a score like this at home before. Yes, the El Salvadoran team was snoozing, but we'l take what we get.

15. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't get all the hate for Marosevic though. He was a decent depth player who we rightfully didn't re-sign because his salary was ridiculously high. And as for Amarikwa, he's the opposite of Peterson if you ask me. Peterson is a Dunfield-like player (except worse). Amarikwa thinks he's Ronaldo and makes everything overly complicated. They both seem like douches, so they have that in common at least

Yeah, I don't understand what anyone could possibly see in Maund as a professional player in any position. He looked okay yesterday but so did everyone wearing a red shirt since Aguila are so bad.

From what I saw, it looked like they entered the wrong number in the substitution board and Mariner was going crazy trying to tell the assistant ref to change the board and bring another player off. He might've wanted to test Maund at CB, which is where, apparently, he's supposed to play anyway. The ref didn't let him, so Frings had to come off and Maund had to play DM. Was watching on the spanish feed though so I have no idea if that's actually what happened. But yes, I'd definitely prefer Stinson over Maund too.

16. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's pretty obvious now that there's some players that Mariner likes and others...well, not so much. Avilla and Stinson don't seem to rate to highly with Mariner.

17. claw hammer

claw hammer Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    In the Olympic Qualifying Stinson was, shall I say, non-descript. Didn't think much of him after that. Nothing stands out about his game .. at least to me..

They say Aguila's plane was delayed, and they had to play 4 hrs after landing .. as well, their trainer and doctor didn't accompany them to save money.

18. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Well that's part true they saved money alright only to send four useless "representatives" in their place who arrived well before the team were originally scheduled to arrive. Shows how much the Aguila brass cared about this game.

19. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Stinson was played out of position during the Olympic Qualifiers. They put him at RB because we didn't have anyone better.

20. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Sorry I'm late, but. . .) Congrats last night on a thumping win in your opening CCL match! :thumbsup: