Pre-Iraq War briefing slides adorned with Bible quotes

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Mattbro, May 19, 2009.

1. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
  2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    "Open the gates that the righteous nation may enter, the nation that keeps the faith" (IS 26:2)

Wow.

3. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. I'll bet we will be learning about this sort of stuff for years to come.

4. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    "If you build it, he will come"

Costner 19:87

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Why are all you people say "wow"?

What the hell is so shocking here? Was it not obvious to you from the start that George Bush equated the "war on terror" with that specifically Christian form of religious warfare called a "crusade"?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br_70Kbdpow"]YouTube - BushCult's "Crusade" statement[/ame]

You have to be incredibly naive to think that the manipulative goons with which he surrounded himself wouldn't take advantage of that sort of thinking.

6. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I always assumed he was completely oblivious to how the word crusade would be perceived in the Muslim world, and that someone threw it into his speech without him really having any idea of the true meaning behind it.

Not that I'm really surprised at these Bible quotes or anything - it just makes me shake my head to see Rummy using them to pull his strings and make him dance like a puppet.

7. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Too bad Bush never read Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice , particularly act 1 scene 3.

1 person likes this.
  8. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Since this guy was one of the top officials responsible for these briefings, it should have been assumed.

9. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    That's not even what it's about: it's the idea that this was all some sort of religiously sanctioned warfare, that God wasn't just on our side, but that we were effectively doing God's work. Never mind the crusade quote, look at this: "Freedom is not America's gift to the world. Freedom is God's gift to everybody in the world". I always thought it was a profound mistake on the part of the left to act and talk as if George Bush was anything less than sincere about stuff like that. They wanted to make it out into some sort of big Halliburton, oil-scheme. And, sure, for some it was. But for Bush I never thought it was that; it was rather for him always an expression of religious conviction, maybe not always doctrinal conviction (though that slipped through sometimes), but clearly religious conviction. That's why he was so dangerous.

11. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I don't doubt that for Bush it was all about doing God's will either... but I always perceived the guy to be too feeble-minded to really be in charge of this whole thing. If it hadn't been for the Neo-Cons pulling his strings - whether driven by a Halliburton oil scheme or by a misguided effort to spread Democracy to the Middle East - we wouldn't have invaded in the first place. In other words his motivation for the war wasn't the relevant part, because all he was doing was rubber-stamping Cheney's and Rumsfeld's decisions anyway, like any good figurehead. The whole religious rhetoric and imagery just made the job more difficult because it created so much ill will in the region - I think that was the biggest impact of Bush's view of the war.

12. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

I gotta give credit to the Pentagon for this. They knew how to get the deciderer's attention. I know hindsight is 20/20, but I wish the CIA/NSA was as smart.

If back in 2000/2001 somebody put a snappy biblical cover sheet on the "terrorists are looking to fly planes into american skyscrapers" presidential intelligence briefing, I bet the twin towers would still be standing.