Pre/In/Post Seattle @ Revs, 6/30

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Jun 26, 2012.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So ... there's a game this weekend.

We're going through the summer doldrums again ... no one is posting. This post will finally get us onto a second page for this thread.

Alston wasn't suspended by the disciplinary committee yesterday, so that's good news. Not that it matters, since he's probably out anyway.

2. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think it's just a case is there's nothing new to talk about until new players come in - it's pretty established what the lineup is going to be. Lechner in for Alston is the only real change. I guess there's a question of whether Sene is going to be the lone striker in a 4-2-3-1 with Joseph back, or if Brettschneider or Fagundez will be in the staring lineup.

I'm not sure Seattle missing Montero will have that big an impact - he's tied for the team lead in goals with Eddie Johnson, but the team lead is only 5. Seattle just seems like a team that's solid all the way through and a random player can step up and beat you on any given day. Alonso represents a huge challenge for the midfield.

3. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they put a recently back from injury and already highly immobile Shalrie back into the midfield and use a 4-4-2, we will be destroyed in the midfield battle.

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting XI: Top 11 questions heading into the weekend
    June 29, 2012
    Charles Boehm
    MLSsoccer.com

6. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Injury Report - deleted the guys who are cut and inexplicably still listed.

OUT: Kevin Alston (L Hamstring Tightness), Zak Boggs (DL - R ankle sprain), Jose Moreno (L ankle sprain), Tim Murray (L Knee Menisectomy)

Joseph comes off the Report. Related to that, I was really PO'ed that Joseph apparently injured the adductor FIFTEEN MINUTES into the Columbus game and refused to come out. Gee, I wonder if having a player who was actually mobile on the field for that game would have helped?

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "It's just a flesh wound!"

nsa repped this.
  8. alter

alter Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't help but laugh at this line, "Sigi Schmid too seems to have the Revs well scouted," as it is followed by a "scouting report" that Sigi perhaps formed after reading some box scores. Anyone who describes Sene as "a big, strong target" hasn't watched him play.

9. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

I remember when playing the Red Bulls, the coach had his "scouting report" noting that "the Rev's are dangerous on set pieces" because we "had a lot of height." :rolleyes:

Ha! :ROFLMAO: Har har, har har... damn you, Tierney... :mad: ... miss you, Marko... :cry: ...

...I hate these new smilies... :thumbsdown: ...

10. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this ends in a 1-1 draw. In spite of Seattle's less-than-stellar run of form, they are in a must win and the Revs are very beatable. Hope for point(s) from this one but not holding my breath.

11. windylove

windylove Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know, but BB deserves to start this game as a target striker and I can't wait to see our new one. Also I hope Heaps plays his 4-3-2-1 formation. So our lineup ...

------------BB/Fagundez@70'
    Sene---------Rowe/Cardenas@70'
    Lee-----Simms-----Benny
    Tierney---Soares----McCarthy---Lechner

12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks good to me. Really like the subs too - in both cases. Adjust the formation based on how the game's going, which is what Heaps talked about in the pre-game conversation with Jeff Lemieux. I like it.

13. Soc4Us

Soc4Us Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Dunstable, MA
    Bummed that Montero is not playing; I'd like to see him in person.

Glad Shalrie is back.

I feel like we're in a holding pattern as the Rev's have a number of moderately skilled/useful midfielders, but the differences are a lot less than the similarities. Would really like to see someone step up consistently.

14. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow no in game posts so far. Anyway, my halftime thoughts:
    -love the switch to the 4-2-3-1, but the midfielders need to move more off the ball to provide better combination play options
    -Our right side is having issues out there defensively, Lechner was at fault for the first goal and Sene was for the second by not tracking back and letting Lechner tuck in
    -Benny isn't getting as involved as he needs to be in his advanced midfield role, I'd prefer him to play as a deep lying playmaker next to Clyde with Rowe coming in and playing farther forward
    -Brettschneider's assist was incredibly lucky since he tried to shoot the ball through a defender and the bounce happened to fall in front of him, he still sucks.
    -Burns actually gave a good interview, and it's good to hear they're looking for both striker and defender signings. I think most of us agree on here that's where we need to upgrade, and I'm glad Heaps and Burns agree.

15. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shalrie and Brettsncheider are both stinking it up and offering absolutely nothing except turnovers, we need a double switch of Rowe and Diego on for those two. Rowe to CAM, Benny to slide back, Diego to RW and Sene to CF.

16. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cardenas would also work instead of Diego if Heaps would prefer that.

17. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diego would be a horrible matchup against this backline. The revs dont deserve points, shitty performance.

18. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle is a bunch of dirty, whiny floppers. Wow.

I disagree w heaps subs. Dumb.

19. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and THAT is why Diego should always start ahead of Captain Useless

20. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mainly Alvaro Fernandez he's always been a crybaby prick

21. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol

22. G-boot

G-boot Member

Manchester United
    Nov 6, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love the leominster shout out of diego props since I live here, drink the same water and am part of his success.

23. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm proud to say I was once megged by him while he wasn't even facing forward

24. 6and33areGOD

6and33areGOD Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Well, a Diego header in traffic. Probably the most unexpected way to pull out a result, but I'll take it. Personally I liked the subs. I would've done Brettschneider first, but we desperately needed that goal and Heaps got all our best attacking players onto the field, and they made that 3-5-2ish formation work fairly well on the fly. Really good to see them finally finish after a ton of chances in the last few minutes.

Other thoughts:
    Lechner didn't impress. Held the ball way too long, and was responsible for that first goal, once he gave it away their was no time for the other backs to react.
    Sene needs to play as striker or as an out and out winger, he displayed NO passing ability tonight. Part of why I liked getting Cardenas and Diego in for Blake, it pushed Sene up so he didn't need to worry about his passing.
    Seattle is phyical as all hell, Benny was getting lit up every few minutes

Overall happy to pull out the result, but I think this was a glaring example of our need for a target striker and fullback help.

25. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Decent performance. Not sure how Sene was not offside on his goal. Blowing a lead because of back line mistakes again. I hope they land a starting CB because I am not crazy about McCarthy and it looks like Soares is starting to sputter as well. Lechners give away on the first was not helpful but it looked like nobody told him about the guy coming from behind. Nguyen seemed to drift more into the middle and I actually liked seeing him there. Very smooth on the ball and decent vision. As for the last goal Sene got mugged and probably had a PK but I doubt a ref would call one that late