PRE/IN/POST-match - DC United vs Columbus Crew - July 4th

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by John L, Jul 3, 2009.

1. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    PRE-GAME - DC United vs Columbus Crew - July 4th - ESPN2 & Deportes

Let's bring the HATE

(Well - Its kinda tough to hate them, since we use so much against New England and Chicago and LA Galaxy and - well, New York Red Bull is more like DISGUST)

We're leading the East by one point over Columbus and others, so a tie would keep us in first place - However, nearly everyone else has a game in hand against us, and a win over your closest rival is more valuable than against some other team

Last year, Columbus excelled at absorbing pressure from opponents early and keeping the game close and then coming back in the 2nd half - Sigi musta had a lot to do with that, but I think Schelloto's presence and patience and experience were a big part of that too - What have they been like this year? - We obviously must be more efficient with our chances, and need to know how to kill off a game with offensive possession - We'll need Gomez in the whole game and Pontius definitely at the end - And somebody please tell Simms to pass the ball FORWARD QUICKLY !!

We're without Quaranta and Jakovic (who despite some brain farts recently is still our best Central Defender) - Are the others ready? - Emilio? - Fred? - I'd still save Olsen as a 2nd half tactical sub - As for the Defense, now its time for Janicki to remind us why he was a starter at the beginning of the season - And for McTavish to regain last season's promise

I'm hoping against hope for a win, but realistically I'll settle for a tie

2. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: PRE-GAME - DC United vs Columbus Crew - July 4th

It wasn't long ago that Columbis was in the basement of the standings and everyone whated to know what happened to the MLS Champions of last year.

Don't look now, but they are on our heels -- a point behind with a game in hand.

This is a very important game in East. Regardless of who is, or is not, available to play, we need to bring our "A" game.

3. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  4. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United

I am looking forward to seeing Wallace and Pontius continueing to step up Have been really impressed by these draft picks.

5. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Columbus is missing Chad Marshall and Robbie Rogers for Gold Cup duty. Adam Moffat for injury as well, but he hasn't been a major factor for them this year so it's not that severe a loss. Missing Marshall and Rogers matters more.

That's not as bad as missing Emilio / Moreno / Quaranta / Jakovic, mind.

Rodney Wallace is in yellow peril -- if he picks up a single yellow card this match, he's out the next match.

Our old friend Baldomero Toledo is in the center.

I hope Soehn doesn't push Fred's return and get him re-injured.

I'd be happy with a draw.

6. ongreystreet

ongreystreet Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Columbia, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is a big chance for Simms to step up. He hasn't had a good start but has gotten a little bit more involved each game.

I think Wallace has to play his game, he will eventually get the 5th card and sitting out will teach him the lesson it's suppose to. The good thing about Wallace is he gets the fouls and yellows, but he never looks too likely to get a red. He has a pace to aggression.

I'd be happy with an away draw with both teams missing players. I'd rather use the bench and lose then risk injury or burn out for a draw at this point. Come back healthy and with full squad from the gold cup and go for 3 points.

7. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No draw! I'll only be happy with a full three points...preferably resulting from a poor ref decision in our favour, just to get some of those lost points back. :) Barring that, I'll of course settle for a 3+-nil victory. :D

8. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

With Moffat injured, Eddie Gaven has been playing CM for us, with Ekpo and Rogers wide. Now that Rogers is gone, and Noonan traded, we don't really have any other wide options, or real good CM options either.

In the NY game, Warzyhca started O'Rourke/Carroll in the CM, and our offense wasn't dynamic as a result, but that seems improbable now that Marshall is gone, and O'Rourke will probably start in the back, especially since Iro played 120 minutes midweek.

Point being, though we are not missing as many players as you are, wide mid/attacking mid are our weakest positions. We have no idea what the XI will look like.

Best guess for us:

------------Hesmer-----------
    Hejduk--O'Rourke--Brunner--Padula
    ------------Carroll-------------
    Ekpo--------???------------Gaven
    ------Schelotto----Moreno-------

CM options: O'Rourke (Iro to CB); Oughton (120 minutes midweek), Gaven (hole at LM).

LM options: Grendi (sucks), Elenio, Moreno (Lenhart up front).

9. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
  10. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000

I expect that Lenhart will start up top with Moreno sliding to LM and Gaven in the middle.

11. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United

Moreno at LM? Why not Zayner?

The Crew don't impress me defensively without Marshall. Hejduk is a handful, but he'll be running at Wallace who seems to have just as much of an engine. The main problem is shutting down GBS. Olsen's return should help us there, but it comes down to Simms to close up his passing options. I'd love a win (just to gain some space in the standings), but a tie wouldn't be the end of the world, especially with so many starters out.

12. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000

I prefer Zayner at LB/RB.

13. traversunitedfan

Apr 29, 2007
    Hollywood MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

wicks
    Namoff - Janicki - Burch
    Simms Jacobson
    Fred Wallace
    Gomez
    Pontius N`Silu

I dont know if we can trust a 3-5-2 with out jakovic in the central def role.

4-4-2 is a possibility again, although it didnt work in colorado.

wicks
    Namoff - McTavish - Janicki - Burch
    Simms
    Khumalo Wallace
    Gomez
    Pontius - N`silu

See how the 1st half goes then pull out a defender for Fred and go with the 3-5-2 is our possession is stuggling.

14. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like the 4-4-2 formation and think that's what we'll see. I wouldn't give up too soon on Janicki. After doing well last year, he hasn't seen much action with both the arrival of Jackovic and the change to 3-5-2. The more he plays, the more improvement we'll see, IMHO.

15. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Janicki was unspectacular on Tuesday against college kids and a school teacher. Moreno, if he plays in the middle, will torch Janicki for pace. Schelotto, if he plays in the middle, will school him for skill.

I've got no other options really. I'd rather stick with the 352 I think, match wallace up with heyduck, and let Simms and Olsen clog of the middle and stay defensive to help the backline. Sit back and hold the ball, be patient, kill the clock, and hope you score on whatever chances you get.

Hopefully that gets you a tie. If you're lucky, a win. And either is acceptable. For once I'm not worried about it being pretty.

16. traversunitedfan

Apr 29, 2007
    Hollywood MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This maybe a good time for a 4-5-1 since we are missing Jakovic, and i dont see any other reliable option isn center back. I know Janicki can do well, but i dont think he is in his best for right now. He is a CB that needs another guy beside him.
    Wicks
    Namoff Janicki McTavish Burch
    Simms Jacobson
    Khumalo Wallace
    Gomez
    Pontius

This allows for Possession, and gives us some solid 2nd half subs in Olsen, Fred and N´Silu. This could really clog things up for Schelotto and Moreno.​

17. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA

I'm hoping Olsen will play.

18. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis

I'm thinking we come out in a 10-0-0 formation and set up a wall about 25 yards out from our goal. We repulse all their attacks, and at strategic moments free Khumalo to make blazing runs down the wing. Pontius sends him long balls which Khumalo then proceeds to bumble out of bounds.

We end in a 0-0 tie.

19. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United

Sorry, I won't be around tonight.

I would be thrilled with a tie, given that this is a game from the Way Back Machine to last year where we were missing half, or more, of our starters. I fully expect a loss. But this team has been exceeding expectations all season, so I retain hope.

20. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Happy 4th from across the Atlantic all.

No way for me to see tonight's match, so, Vamos United!

23. Marcjalis

Marcjalis New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Club:
    Wisla Kraków SSA

Hello,

I'm an MBA student part of a marketing group that is doing a project on DC United. If you have 5 mins to spare and wouldn't mind helping out, we'd greatly appreciate it if you could fill out two surveys:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=vsVfy0OfYP9uLzUTQ0bLbw_3d_3d

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=29kWK_2fWtfNbm_2fpuN0h_2bcAg_3d_3d

Sorry, no prizes or rewards ;) About the best I can offer is that you'd let 30 people know about DC United who may not have cared before. Thanks in advance.

24. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm suggesting we play this formation, it will almost act like a 7-2-1.

__________Wicks_________
    Namoff_Janicki_John_Burch
    ___Olsen_Simms_Wallace___
    Khuamlo______Gomez______
    _________Pontius_________

25. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis

'clambered' not 'clammored' (which is not a word)