Pre-Game Thread: Houston vs. Colorado 04/02

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by CK, Dec 18, 2005.

1. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Pre-Game Thread -- Match 1: Houston vs. Colorado 04/02

Looks like it was Cerritos in for Ching for the Battery game - otherwise, it's CK's lineup.

2. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Colorado is playing another preseason match in Spain tonight against Sestao. Last Thursday they seemed to put in a reserve side (no Mathis, Mastroeni, etc.), and I'm not sure what type of line-up they'll field tonight.

If anyone has an audio/video link for the game that would be nice, but I wouldn't count on the game being broadcasted.

3. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Rapids wrap up their trip to spain.

In Tuesday's game they won 2-1 with the following line-up.

Jordan, Freeman, Wojciech, Gargan, Harvey, Crawford (King 80’), Wasson, Gonzalez, Clark, Glen, Pearson (Noel 70’)

Goals came from Gargan and Glenn

2nd Team Rapids Win

In today's game they lost 8-2 vs. Eibar. Oddly enough only the center referee showed up for the game. While the line-up was not released, they appeared to play rested starters in this match. From the article, I can confirm these players were playing.

Cannon, Denton, Peguero, Mathis, Ben-Dayan

Goals came from Mathis and Ben-Dayan.

Trailing 2-1 at Halftime Rapids lose 8-2; 3 refs are a no-show

4. sephjnr

sephjnr Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Bristol, England
    Club:
    Bristol City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

That possibility in itself would have justified a Rapids decision to boycott the game due to inefficient refereeing before a ball was kicked.

5. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, you could say Colorado is already getting an advantage by getting used to MLS-level refereeing...but that would be unkind...

6. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow. Couldn't the teams each have made one of their assistant coaches or someone with at least half a clue try to run the sidelines to watch for off side? No one cares about the results in these games, but you want to simulate a real game experience this close to the start of the season. For example, Nowak probably agreed to play 11 v 11 in the second half yesterday because he understands that a decent playing experience is more important at this point. I'm not sure if the Rapids are really getting much bang out of their buck on this trip.

7. schwabe13

schwabe13 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    in the best MLS town
    Re: Match 1: Houston vs. Colorado

Yesterday ( during watching the USA : GER game ) the 2 Dynamo employees Christie and Ivan told me , that reserved parking for season ticket holders will be available starting the second game . The reduced parking price fee for season ticket holders will be 8 $ , instead of 10 bucks .

8. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Battle for outside back.

This looks to be the roster opening day.

------------Onstad--------------
    ---------------------------------
    ---------Serioux-Robinson---Gold-
    --Gray--------------------------
    -------------Clark---------------
    -Mullan------------------Barrett-
    -----------DeRosario-------------
    -----Ching-----------------------
    ---------------------Moreno-----

Subs:
    Waibel for Gray
    Cerritos for Moreno
    Davis for Goldwaithe (Barrett to left back)

So I guess this will be Kinnear's line-up for the game Sunday. However it will be interesting to see who will play outside back between Gray, Goldwaithe, and Waibel.

I know Davis should be recovered by game day, but will in be in good enough shape to start or even play? If so then Barrett will most likely play left back.

9. soccertex

soccertex New Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Houston

Has anyone seen/heard any publicity about the game? Seriously; we're less than a week away and I haven't even seen an ad in the Houston Chronicle.

10. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

6 DAYS TIL KICKOFF! I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE FIRST MATCH ON ABC! 7 days for us.

Give it a few more days I think come Thursday, Friday, or Saturday there might be a special intro section (1 or 2 pages) on MLS and a page introducing the players. I expect something to be in the paper by at least Friday or Saturday.

Maybe Glenn will even write his article in the Chron on the first game.

11. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Re: Battle for outside back.

I doubt Robinson will play with a torn ligament. Waibel likely to start in his place in your lineup. Cochrane would be the first defensive sub off the bench, if he doesn't beat out Waibel for the starting spot (especially with Aloisi and Ianni still injured).

Robinson is a major loss; hopefully his ligament injury is minor and he will be back shortly. Acquiring Serioux certainly helps shore up the defense while Robinson is out.

I also do think Davis will be held out, given the recent surgery and his history of nagging injuries. There is no reason to unnecessarily risk his reaggravating the sports hernia or injuring something else because he is in pain and overcompensates using other muscles/tendons, etc.; it would look like a bad decision if he were put in the game and reinjured himself, given that another week or two should put him at 100%.

12. Red Raider

Red Raider New Member

Feb 4, 2000
    I agree with your post. I don't think Eddie will be ready to play, and since Cochran played well against the Red Bull, I think he will get the nod.

I think Davis has much to prove before he is inserted in the line up. He has been out for some time, and even though his injury has been repaired, he is not match fit.

Better to try him as a late game sub a few times to make sure he is over the physical and mental aspects of the hernia, as well as to gauge his fitness.

Moreno and Ching to start up top, with Cerritos ready to come in if we need a change of pace.

13. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids Drop Two Players from Roster

Apparently Leo Cullen is retiring to become an assistant coach at Maryland, and Byron Foss (GK) was waived by the team.

Both have played over thier tenure in Colorado. Anyone know how much of an impact Cullen, who was the number one pick in 1998, may have had as a sub?

14. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's also a rumor being discussed over on the Rapids boards that they may trade Peguero - perhaps to ulitmately acquire Thiago Martins as part of a multi-team trade. Looks like most people there think it would be a bad move, although I think Martins has some good value, too.

15. LordGhoti

LordGhoti New Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Houston
    There was a heated thread (or two) about this on MF.com and I think a story or two on several websites that say the Metro Reds were going to send Martins and a draft pick to Colorado for Peguero.

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/metrostars2.php?article_id=5728
    http://www.metrofanatic.com/mf/story.jsp?ID=3386

16. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How will trading Peguero for Martins help Colorado. I hadn't even heard of Martins until this trade rumor, but I've always known Peguero is at least a consistant starter. Why trade to get Mathis in the offseason, and then subsequently downgrade your team?

18. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Colorado just answered my question on why they would trade Peguero.

Rapids sign Argintine Striker Nicolas Hernandez

Apparently the former Cobreloa striker has with the team for the entire preseason though. Not too sure how productive he's been or if he'll even start.

19. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like he scored a goal earlier this month against the US U-20s. Don't find a whole lot else on what he may have done for them this preseason. He's apparently expected to play Sunday, although it's not clear if he starts (maybe depending on whether there's a trade?).

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well somebody at Rapids HQ is going to have to spend some money on traffic cones now. Other than that, not much...

21. yankeexpride

yankeexpride New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Virginia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Starting lineups for opening day?

starting lineups for tomororw?

22. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch...repped.

23. Frankie Can't Dance

Frankie Can't Dance New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Round Rock, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Starting lineups for opening day?

-----------Onstad--------------
    ---------------------------------
    --Cochrane---Serioux--------Gold-
    -------Gray--------------------
    -------------Clark---------------
    -Mullan------------------Barrett-
    -----------DeRosario-------------
    -----Ching-----------------------
    ---------------------Moreno-----

24. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So pretty much the line-up is set at a 4-4-2 with Wiabel and Cochrane battling for a center back spot.

I say the final score is Houston 3-1.

Ching scores off of a Mullan cross somwhere around the 15th minute. An inspired Mathis will strike back with a goal within five minutes (unassisted). After the rest of the half plays out scoreless, Houston is all business in the second half. Another goal by Ching (Moreno assist) puts Houston ahead early in the second half and DeRosario will put the game out of reach with goal late in the game (unassisted).

I see Colorado being one of the weaker teams this year. Can't wait to beat them all four times. ;)

25. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The official MLSnet.com preview is up -- check out the 26 page pdf game guide -- it has all kinds of interesting info.

Alex Prus is the ref. He doesn't stand out to me - does anyone recall what site kept stats on refs last year? I'm not sure if it was on MLSnet.com - it may have been somewhere else.