Pre-match: Pre-game thread #1: Crew SC @ Houston

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Result for Match 1

Poll closed Mar 7, 2015.
  1. Crew SC win by 2+

10 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. Crew SC win by 1

34 vote(s)
    44.2%
  3. Draw

16 vote(s)
    20.8%
  4. Crew SC lose by 1

6 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Crew SC lose by 2+

11 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Self-quote time:

And, as already said...4th street, Hendoc's and Fado are other options.

2. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why we are such a trendy pick to do well this season. I think maybe a lot of it has to do with our successful rebranding, but that's all flash and no substance on the pitch itself.

I think our squad is thin as fuck. Up front, it's borderline embarrasing. Don't get me wrong, I like Kamara and I think he can do well for us. But if he picks up a knock? Schoenfeld and Bedell on the bench. Christ... Ethan replicating another fantastic season, Gall having a breakout year, and maybe a playoff push are about all I'm hoping for this year.

All that said, I predict Crew win by 1 :D

American Brummie repped this.
  3. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People can say whatever they want, but to say "our squad is thin as fcuk" is just plain silly. I mean seriously:

GK: Clark, Lampson
    RB: Grana, Barson
    CB: Parkhurst, Pogatetz, Wahl, Campbell, Ryden
    LB: Francis, Klute
    CM: Trapp, Tchani, Saied, Swanson, George
    Wingers: Finlay, Meram, Steindorsson, Gall, Cedrick
    AM's: Higuain, Speas
    ST: Kamara, Schoenfeld, Bedell

I'll give you we have no good backups for Kamara. Wahl isn't great as a 3rd choice CB either, but we had a great run with him at the end of last season, it just so happened that we came up against a white hot NE team with a white hot Nguyen.

We have, pretty much, two people for every position, except up top and MAYBE in central defense. Anywhere else, we are ok.

4. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    So of the 4 spine positions we are short at 2 of them?

5. svc641

svc641 Member+

Aug 19, 2014
    West Liberty
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with hudson hooligan. Having warm, unproven, or in some cases untalented, bodies doesn't equate with having depth.

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone remember when @KCbus made a poll that wasn't public and no one noticed it?

7. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wahl is proven. He's a proven BACKUP, which now he is. Schoenfeld is decent enough to be a BACKUP, which now he is. And go ahead and conveniently ignore every other position on the pitch. Well done.

People, it's the first game of the season. Don't be so bitchy and negative until at least a few games in. We finished third in the East last year. No one thought we'd even make the playoffs. We lost NO ONE, and made many solid signings, yes, adding depth.

svc641 repped this.
  8. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably a dumb question, but...

If I have Uverse, there's no way for me to watch the match, yes? Uverse has a listing with a Houston Dynamo prematch program at 8:30 on an ALT Ch. 1697, but I'm sure it will be blacked out.

9. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    For crying out loud. The spine the team is GK, centre backs, centre mid and centre forwards. Which was my point - If you are strong there, then you will usually do quite well.

GK and centre mids we are good at. The other 2, not convinced.

At centre back, we have Parkhurst who is excellent. A journeyman Austrian who couldn't displace Wahl last season and Wahl who is a disaster waiting to happen every game. Plus 2 rookies.

Schoenfeld is not a back up. He's barely a centre forward. We are one Kamara injury/suspension away from starting him or Bedell. Which is not good.

Who was being bitchy or negative? RANDOM capitals DON'T help you MAKE your point either.

It is ok for people to have concerns about the squad and have differing opinions than you. Kind of the point of the board isn't it?

Minnman repped this.
  10. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    You are screwed.

NUFC Fan and hudson hooligan repped this.
  11. TRU JDUB

TRU JDUB Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Coshocton, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #86 TRU JDUB, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015

Well I respect your opinion and I wish we had a more proven player at Striker and Cam behind Kamara and Higuain. While I think someone could play cam and do ok possibly Steindorsson or Saeid ( even though I heard he is more of a def mid) or Swanson or even trap.
    We aren't sure what Berhalter will do but let's hope Higuain plays most of the games and is healthy for the playoffs. However at Striker your concerns are very legit because I think Meram should be the choice behind Kamara since we know he wants taller strikers our second option is Schonefeld while I love his hustle and his play (except his finishing) he should be the 3rd striker and Bedell should not even be on the team.

Center back is scary if Pogatez isn't a Gonzalez type player we are in trouble and should turn to the rookies. Wahl should not be our 3rd option he should be retired because he is a major liability because of physical limitations

12. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word on a Crew website stream of the radio broadcast?

13. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Although I do like the branding, my optimism is based on the following:
    - We were dam good team late last year, and we have gotten better.
    - Kie huge upgrade.
    - Much more depth and strength in the back.
    - Tchani, Trapp, and Finley appear to be maturing/progressing vs. flash in the pan.
    - This will be the second full year of this system. A system I love to watch. As our team continues to learn and adjust with the added talent, I think we'll be dam good.

14. lilppmd

lilppmd New Member

May 3, 2008
    Last year, I was able to access MLS Live with Uverse on my Roku. Hope it works this year also.

15. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gameday thread is open.