Pre-game Match 38: United States vs Algeria, June 23

Discussion in 'GROUP C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia' started by bungadiri, Dec 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're going to bring up what 'might have been' you might as well pull out all the stops.

2. lebowski2332

lebowski2332 Member

Dec 14, 2005
    seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US squad would do really well in any group of death or against really top-rated squads.

In the past, the big game against Italy, Portugal, Spain, or England tends to pump up the team that they usually "over-achieve."

As a favorite against a competent or equal team or a slightly worse team, the US tends to play flat and they usually "under-achieve." The US team can overlook teams, not try as hard, or play too over-confident.

The worry for me is that Algeria is in group B.

3. nam207

nam207 Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Honestly? I wouldn't mind of the U.S team is switch with N. Korea team. We have a tendency to play very good against better team. We have beaten Brazil, Portugal, Spain before. Heck who knew what would happened if luck wasn't on German side on 2002.

Playing against Algeria? ehhhh, I actually worry about the same, if not more, as if we're facing Brazil.

4. kingkazama

kingkazama New Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Anthar Yahia is the captain of Algeria in this WC, he is playing for Algerian senior team since 2004 , he played also for Algeria U23.

-Kadir and Guedioura also played once in Algerian Junior team ,
    -Mbolhi the GK was called to play for Algeria U23 but was not released by his club Olympique de Marseille.
    -Djamal mesbah is an Algerian born playing for lecci in Serie B
    -Mahdi Lahcen is born from an Algerian father and Italian mother

only Belaid ,medjani and boudebouz were capped with France youth team.

5. nutbar

nutbar New Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Canada
    I heard that 17 of the 23 in the squad grew up in France.

Regardless, I was impressed by their play vs England, esp in the first half, they're no pushovers.

6. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A side note that hopefully will not matter at all, but the referee is from Belgium.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/referees/referee=173269/index.html

So he will be comfortable communicating with the Algerians since most of them speak French.

He will also be familiar with Onyewu from his time with Standard Liège. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing for the US, but I'm hoping that helps us avoid a repeat of Ghana 06.

7. Amortalinblack

Amortalinblack New Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Man I keep thinking about how well the US would be doing if we fired Bradley a long time ago and brought in a real coach.

What's that Bradley, the same predictable 4-4-2 as always? Sure he tried something different with like our B team like a year, and it didn't work, but that doesn't mean it won't ever work again.

The guy plays NO DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER against Slovenia, and we are blaming Torres? Seriously? First of all, I don't know why Bradley thinks his son is a DM, because he isn't. Second of all, it was his son at fault for one of the goals. Now little Bradley is a good player, but not in a situation like that. Of course Torres isn't going to make much of an impression when you are playing rushed longballs from the back every single time we get possession and for what, that wasteman Findley? Shouldn't have been starting in the first place. I'm glad that ref gave him a yellow card so we can't use him against Algeria. We just lept cheaply giving the ball away to Slovenia. Don't blame Torres for the coaches poor formation, don't blame the ref who made a correct call (for the people complaining, these calls always favor the defense, and there were Americans fouling Slovenian players too) In fact, that ref actually helped us. Dempsey somehow managed to not get sent off, when he should have, and we don't have to see Findley next game. We should be hailing this ref as a hero, not harassing him.

So I was thinking of formations... Buddle doesn't really impress me, and Gomez is a great choice for sub to change the game, but other than that who else do we have? I say we can throw Dempsey up front, because he plays better there, and messes around too much in a midfield.

Or we can play Torres/Bradley/Edu together in the midfield.

-----------------------Howard---------------
    Cherundolo-------DeMerit Onyewu------Bocanegra
    -----------------------Edu---------------------------
    -------------------Torres/Bradley---------------------
    Dempsey----------------------------------Donovan
    ----------------------Altidore------------------------------

Enough stability in the middle of the field, and a lot of fire power. Donovan and Dempsey can pretty much switch whenever they want if they want to change it up. Bradley can wander wherever he pleases. This only would work if you get rid of the god damned long balls from the back EVERY SINGLE TIME WE GET THE BALL. We were playing the ball to Torres against Turkey, and he had a fantastic game. You know why else we played well, because we had a defensive midfielder.

Also, why haven't we done something like this.

------------------------Howard---------------
    Cherundolo-------DeMerit Onyewu------Bocanegra
    -------------------------Edu------------------------------
    Torres------------------Bradley--------------------Donovan
    --------------------Dempsey/Altidore------------------------------

Dempsey goes into that forward spot he likes so much. Torres at right midfield? Yes, have him cut into the middle, and then unleash his wicked shot much like a Messi or a Robben. The kid has a great shot and in a tournament where people are questioning keepers, we should be testing them more.

As for subs, Coach Bradley is pretty terrible at these. The only times he makes decent subs is when he fixes some horrible error he made in the starting lineup. Also, how is Gomez supposed to come in and change things with 30 seconds left? You should be making that sub way sooner. Give him a good twenty to thirty minutes if what we have isn't getting the job done. Most of Bradley's subbing is pretty predictable at this point, it's almost like he's a robot who has no idea what is going on, and was just pre-programmed to do nearly identical formations, tactics, and subs for whatever opponent we might have.

Am I hard on the coach? Yes, and you know why, because this might be one of the most talented sides this country might have ever seen, and it's sad that we might not get past the group stages. I wanted him gone a long time ago, in fact, I don't even know why we chose him in the first place. Might as well have kept Arena.

It's sad this country cares more about promoting the MLS than doing well in the WC. I mean honestly, to ever win a WC, it's going to need a complete overhaul of our youth systems.

When we do get knocked out... what are we going to do? Blame the ref? Talk about how much better we are than that country at other sports? Pathetic. It's like the kid who gets owned playing Counter Strike and tells the server he'd own them all in Unreal Tournament.

8. Amortalinblack

Amortalinblack New Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Quick reply to myself FSC just said we are doing a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1 with Failharder playing behind Altidore...

9. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What a beating.

Your obsession with your own ideas about USMNT may completely ruin your enjoyment of this world cup, but I'm enjoying every minute of it.

10. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that Bob will use this formation:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Altidore, Dempsey, Beasley, Edu, Bradley, Donovan, Bocanegra, Onyewu, DeMerit, Cherundolo, Howard[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

He'll want to combat Algeria's tendancy to fly up and down the flanks with Beasley because of Beasley's defensive abilities and speed. Boca doesnt have much in the way of speed, and Beasley could be called on to help with that. He may use Holden instead because of Holden's work rate on the right flank, and in that case he'll move Landon to the left.

11. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Failharder? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA1!111!!!!!!!!

12. Yo Adrian

Yo Adrian Member

Sep 8, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You had me going until that one. I think it's just a troll, but feel free to point out the names of the US players you saw fouling. :rolleyes:

14. CaptainAntar

CaptainAntar New Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Club:
    Zob-Ahan
    I'm hoping donovan plays on the left because only bougherra can handle him

yahia and belhadj will have a tough time if he plays on the right

15. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummmm... I think that's his point. You can't just look at results without knowing something about the squad for that game.

16. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I think you'll see Donovan on the right...probably a 90% chance.

My prediction for our lineup:
    [LINEUP-4-4-2]Altidore, Buddle, Dempsey, Bradley, Edu, Donovan, Bocanegra, Demerit, Onyewu, Cherundolo, Howard[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

The only changes I see that could possibly be made are Clark for Edu, or Gomez for Buddle

17. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was Deuce.
    If you watch the view from behind the goal you can see he's running with his man and then gives him a two-handed shove in the back to break free right as the kick is taken.
    I still think the goal should have stood, but everyone knows the ref's favor defense when judging calls in the box.

18. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I'm really nervous. Let's do it!!

19. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    will this be shown in England and if so, what channel ?

20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm excited. Let's do it.

21. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    Yo lightening, the ref put on his report that Edu was who he called the foul on.

22. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    Algeria knows they must win, hence they're gonna bunker. Kinda like Greece.

23. Lambrettaman

Lambrettaman New Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Club:
    Hull City AFC
    Every World Cup game is shown live in England, but you need to use the red button on a digital tv and you'll need to be in a private house, as no-one else will be showing it(unless you go to a sports bar, who'll probably have both games on)

24. bigkick123

bigkick123 New Member

Jun 12, 2010
    I would have to agree with most of what you wrote...but I would not be so hard on coach bradley. I have been watching USMNT since the mid 80's and one thing no matter who coaches is the inconsistency of the team. I think this will be a tuff game to win but I am hoping for the best. One thing I have always noticed is Algeria plays as if they will face a "firing squad" if they lose.

25. BSGuy321

BSGuy321 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrCZIFNdW6Y"]YouTube- It Starts Here[/ame]