Pre-game Match 37: Slovenia vs England, June 23

Discussion in 'GROUP C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia' started by bungadiri, Dec 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Match 37: June 23 16:00 local time in Nelson Mandela Bay/Port Elizabeth

Slovenia[​IMG]vs.[​IMG]England

Time is stated in local (South Africa) time. Click here for time conversion to find the time in your area.

Feel free to discuss the match in this pre-match thread. We will add more details to the first post if necessary and encourage everyone to start discussion now that the schedule is set.

Threads are usually closed at 500 posts - so expect new threads closer to the event. Moderators will try to close the thread at a logical transition point and will always provide a link to the most current thread.

Please bear in mind that this thread will be moderated with more than usual strictness.

2. Fuzinho

Fuzinho New Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Slovenia should win this 1:0, since England will already have 6 points and play with B squad :D
    In my defense, I'll write to Santa very sweet letter for Xmas, telling him i was a good boy this year.:cool:
    [​IMG]

3. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    England are going to be playing with their 2nd-string squad against Slovenia by then, but I think England will still come out on top with the victory against Slovenia to give them an easy 9 points through 3 games for them to top the group because England I think they want to win all their group matches to send a message to the other teams in the tournament that England is here to stay.

So I see England winning this match 3-0

4. ACRealUnitedFC SpA

ACRealUnitedFC SpA New Member

May 7, 2008
    Finishing first and avoiding Germany in the 2nd round will be a factor in squad selection. Assuming of course that Germany finishes at the top of their group.

5. wiredjoker

wiredjoker New Member

May 30, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I guess a lot depends on if winning the group IS 100% secure.
    The way i see it 2nd place in that group has to go through Germany.. Argentina.. Spain.. Brazil to take it down. I would really fancy us (England) to send the Germans home, so it would almost be worth it lol but that run in would be a huge ask for any team.
    If the group is in the bag wrap Rooney in cotton wool!

6. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Can England score?

7. MrHobbles

MrHobbles Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Linden and San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must have been a Saint since saying this. ;)

8. Matjaz

Matjaz New Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Heh, all those predictions off now, the standings are completely different than anyone expected.

My bet would be Slovenia goes bunker with counterattacks in this game, thus with a score of 0:0 passing the group as second if USA wins against Algeria, going first if Algeria draws or wins over the USA.

If we happen to score from a counterattack and take the lead, we might as well win the group. If England beats us, we still proceed if there's a draw between USA and Algeria (seeing Algeria's organized defense and not so solid attack, that is even likely to happen, although they will probably try to go for a win with 4 points), and if Algeria wins, we still proceed from the group if they don't win with 2 more goals than England beats us.

Odds are quite ok for us, I just hope England's attack won't come alive right against us. If it does, I hope the US doesn't win over Algeria, or Algeria doesn't win with a great difference ...

9. Rozzy

Rozzy New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    After watching England today, especially the way they seemed to quit toward the end, I give Slovenia a good chance to win this one outright. Algeria couldn't finish or even create good chances in spite of all that nice possession. Slovenia's killer counter attack is as advertised.

It's crazy, but if that happens, the US only needs a draw to advance. Considering how few ideas Algeria seemed to have in the attacking third, I like our chances. I never though that I would say this, but the US has a more effective attack than England right now. They at least know where everybody is and what they are supposed to do (attacking, not defense).

10. Matjaz

Matjaz New Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Oh, and since Dempsey broke Pečnik's ankle in 94', looks like we'll have to do without him ... :(

11. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Did you watch the USA England game?

England had double the chances.

12. Rozzy

Rozzy New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    In the first half they had some good chances, but after 20 minutes in the second half, they rolled over like dogs. And chances only matter if you finish them. The US has 5x the chances of Slovenia and game away with a draw.

The proof is in the pudding...USA - 3 goals. England - 1. Universally, Slovenia are known as the better defensive team than Algeria. Say what you want about the US defense. You'll have no argument from me.

13. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    Woot.

14. Matjaz

Matjaz New Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Check WHEN that was posted first :D.

15. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    well, he might be right about england playing their 2nd team, but not for the reasons he'd hoped for!
    i'm not sure how this game will go at all. on current form slovenia should take 3 points, but if england finally hit their stride slovenia could find it very difficult.
    i'd almost predict a 1-1 draw, with england losing their composure desperately trying to grab a goal in the last 15 minutes, with the usa beating algeria 1-0 (algeria really are very average), taking slovenia and the usa through on 5 points each.

16. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    England also played poorly in 1986. They lost to Poprtugal and drew Morocco. But suddenly, they woke up against Poland on the last match. Poland was topping the table at that given point.

17. urko

urko New Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Slovenia
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    this is what scares me the most....im not sure what to expect form the game...but i trust our guys and hope for the best...Tie is possible!!!!

18. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dont forget that england drew its first two games in 90
    and barely edged egypt in the third game
    they made it to semis that year

19. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I think England is going to wake up big time against Slovenia.

Unfortunately, I think it will be enough to keep the US in 2nd.

20. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

On current form Slovenia should get a draw. They were also terrible against Algeria and should have lost to the team England mostly dominated, the USA.

Slovenia are not really in any better form other then one excellent half against the USA.

21. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Good luck to Slovenia. How will Slovenia line up without Pecnik? Hopefully, the US and Slovenians will go through.

22. Saint George in TX

Saint George in TX New Member

Jun 19, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    England have no choice but to win this match. We can do it, but if we don't then England needs to wake up and realize that the golden age is yet to come.

23. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is suspended for Slovenia against England? I seem to remember them getting a bunch of cards against both the US and Algeria.

BTW my Slovenian brothers, I'm pulling for you!!! Tie England, we'll beat Algeria, and merrily proceed to the second round!

EDIT: Nevermind, I checked the box scores. No one on Slovenia has accumulated two yellows.

24. urko

urko New Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Slovenia
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    let this be true as US and SLO shown best game in its group so far :)

25. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heck yeah. What a game. Much respect to the Slovenian team, they are excellent.

I worry about how you guys will handle Heskey and Lennon. But if they can be neutralized, I think you'll be in good shape.