Pre-game Match 23: England vs Algeria, June 18

Discussion in 'GROUP C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia' started by bungadiri, Dec 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Match 23: June 18 20:30 local time in Cape Town

England[​IMG] vs. [​IMG] Algeria

Time is stated in local (South Africa) time. Click here for time conversion to find the time in your area.

Feel free to discuss the match in this pre-match thread. We will add more details to the first post if necessary and encourage everyone to start discussion now that the schedule is set.

Threads are usually closed at 500 posts - so expect new threads closer to the event. Moderators will try to close the thread at a logical transition point and will always provide a link to the most current thread.

Please bear in mind that this thread will be moderated with more than usual strictness.

2. GiorgioMoretti

GiorgioMoretti New Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Udine
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I predict 2-2

3. ghost101

ghost101 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Algeria's away results in qualifying.

Senegal 1 - 0 Algeria
    Gambia 1 - 0 Algeria
    Liberia 0 - 0 Algeria
    Rwanda 0 - 0 Algeria
    Zambia 0 - 2 Algeria
    Egypt 2 - 0 Algeria

Then travel to South Africa and score 2 against England? Algeria qualified because of 6/6 home wins.

The stadium I'd say will be 80% English fans if not more.

Good luck.

4. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    You forgot the key Algeria away match:
    Egypt - Algeria 0:1

5. ghost101

ghost101 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  6. GiorgioMoretti

Dec 16, 2009
    Udine
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So you are copying scores from wikipedia, and you say they won't score away from home. Well its in Africa so they are at home and go do some research about the Algerian team.

7. ghost101

ghost101 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lol. Am I supposed to know results off by heart? I suppose your prediction was made with all those exact results already memorised after watching each game. I bet you didn't even know the results, and on the off chance you did you had to look on a website, be that wikipedia or fifa or anything else. I don't see what's so bad about getting results from wikipedia.

Although I did know the missing result and that they had a bad away record without looking at wikipedia. This is why I even checked. Needed it for the exact scores.

Note that those games are away from home within Africa. Kind of defeats your point. Also have you seen the distance from Algeria to South Africa? Look on a world map.

If wikipedia or I have got any of the results wrong, feel free to correct me. Although Maruti probably would have done already.

8. GiorgioMoretti

Dec 16, 2009
    Udine
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I have been following the Algerian team for over 2 years now and I can tell you that they have what it takes to beat the English team, which by the way is famous for sucking in tournaments. How can you assume that the stadium will be 80% English? I mean its these comments that make you sound like you have no idea what you are talking about. Algeria have a very solid back line with very quick wingers, all they lack is a pure finisher, which they have found his name is Ziaya and he is the worlds number one top scorer since the begging of the season. I think he has over 20 goals and 15 goals in 15 games in the African Champions league. If you need any more details just let me know.

9. ghost101

ghost101 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The stadium will be dominated by English fans. It's based on simple logic. English fans travel in large numbers and buy up any tickets on the street. If you think Algerians can travel in similar numbers and are willing to pay tickets in the hundreds of euros then you are mistaken.

A brilliant example of this was England vs Argentina in 2002. The number of English fans at that game even though Argentina are a heavyweight was amazing.

Its these comments which show I can come to logical conclusions. The fact you can't understand this is a testament to how wrong you are in a 2-2 scoreline prediction. This game will not be open. If Algeria do draw, it'd be 1-1 at most. John Terry completely shut out Torres this year, who is probably the most difficult striker to stop in the Premiership. Ziaya won't present a problem if Terry, Ferdinand and Cole all play well. England's right side is weak, but that's again relative.

England have an even more solid backline with much better midfielders. What's your point?

I would love to know, why this prolific goalscorer isn't playing in europe at a top club. If your going to make this guy sound like he's one of the best strikers in the world, how do you reconcile that problem?

10. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, they're not at home. Africa is a continent; a pretty big one. Algeria is at the northern end. South Africa is--surprise!--at the southern end. There's a lot of "not Algeria" in between. And all those scores that ghost101 posted were in Africa as well.

11. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    smells like dirty gym socks in here.

England 3-0 Algeria.

12. GiorgioMoretti

Dec 16, 2009
    Udine
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I haven't slept for 24 hours now and Ill write you a nice reply tomorrow. Good night!

13. futubolo

futubolo New Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The trash talking begins. Says Algerian defender Madjid Bougherra:

14. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So, England don't play with heart eh? He needs to ask Bilic if England play with heart. You don't step on the pitch in Zagreb and get a convincing win without having heart, and a lot of it..

15. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
  16. GiorgioMoretti

Dec 16, 2009
    Udine
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He stayed in Algeria to meet the president. I think that's more important than going back to Glasgow... he was not even called for that game.

17. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    I havent seen those Boughera quotes anywhere other then the laughably bad ESPN soccernet.
    Just something they invented or exaggerated.

Even the most delusional Algerian knows they are rank underdogs in all their games.

18. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    3 times?

19. GiorgioMoretti

Dec 16, 2009
    Udine
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Exactly. I haven't found a respectable source that confirms that. Bougherra is probably the most down to earth Algerian player and I would be surprised if he even said that.

20. GiorgioMoretti

Dec 16, 2009
    Udine
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't know about the first one but the second one he lost his passport and phone in the airport and the last one was with the president.

21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    u sure about the last line? theres some mexicans/yanks here who think they are better than england because of the confed cup or concacaf qualification lol

22. GiorgioMoretti

Dec 16, 2009
    Udine
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A sweet video about Algerias qualification to the world cup. To all those who don't know about Algerian football this a good video to watch.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UZrgd_giCM"]YouTube- Equipe national parcours partie 1 sur 4 HD[/ame]

23. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the correction is, we don't think we are better, we know we are better. :D

But that's joking. Of all the yanks I've ever talked to, NOBODY outside of Canadian trolls think that the US is a better side than England. HOWEVER, every Yank I've talked to believe that the US is capable of beating England. This is a view I completely share with my countrymen. It's not that yanks think they are better than England, but Yanks know that if England take the USA lightly, or arrive in South Africa not totally prepared, the Three Lions lose three points. Although most everyone projects England to win the group, this is not going to be easy.

To bring this back on topic, I talked to an Algerian-French friend of mine here in Nashville about Algeria's chances. It seems that the Algerians share the optimism of the Yanks--Any team that takes Algeria lightly will be duly punished. I agree--The US is (so far) making good strides preparing for the World Cup--I agree that Algeria is quality and that the group will be a challenge. England had best not overlook any team in the group.

24. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bruhahahahahahaha, I always thought only a few Turkish fans would say such stupid things. :eek: :D
    So he's basically admitting that they suck, if he comes up with the "playing with heart 'argument'". :rolleyes:

25. MarocFAN

MarocFAN Member

May 18, 2006
    Morocco/Germany
    Didn't it work in 1982 against your nt?