Pre-game 11/25 KC/DCU - Won't Dave be thrilled? [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Mad_Bishop, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Pre-game 10/25 KC/DCU - Won't Dave be thrilled? [R]

Crew pulled off the near impossible this afternoon and stayed in the race for the playoffs! Should the Crew pull of a miraculous win next week and beat the Fire, that means that KC could kick United out of the playoffs for the fourth straight year, and make Dave's week.

Furthermore, if we win, or tie, and if Colorado ties or loses against Dallas (big if) we keep second place. More likely we will win against a depleted and downtroaden United, and Colorado beats the Burn, who are in a similar possition. In that case, we still take second and homefield advantage for the first leg of the playoffs.

Unfortunatly, I'll be at my brother's wedding and don't think I'll be able to catch the broadcast of this game, but both games and the sunday match in Columbus have serious playoff implications. Should make for some great soccer next week.

Hopefully we play a similar lineup to that of the game against LA, but subbing Igor for Harris, and armstrong for Zotinca

Meola
    Conrad Diego Garcia
    KZ
    Quill Gomez Armstrong
    Chris Klein Preki
    Igor

or
    we do what I've wanted to see all season

Meola
    Conrad Diego Garcia
    Klein KZ Preki Armstong
    Wollf Igor Harris/Arnaud

EDIT: could knock out DC for the third year, not forth

2. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    ... never thought I would EVER say this ...

Go Wizards!! :D

The Crew needs your help, because they suck. :rolleyes:

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the Crew helped themselves today, after they had pretty much screwed themselves allowing Petke to get free to tie it.

4. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    It wouldn't suck! :D

Honestly I was torn a bit after McBride's goal. My Thundering Herd of Buffalo got a much needed 5 points, and the noose was tightened on the black and white; but now dc needing points just to qualify makes it tougher on KC to get full points. KC hasn't hit a hotel in about a month remember. You have to think COL will find a way in Dallas.

Anybody getting together for this one anywhere near Blue Springs?

5. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    Hey, giving up leads in stoppage time is normal for the Crew this year. I certainly was NOT surprised.

6. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    I have no idea who the heck Dave is BUT I'm all for you guys making his week!

7. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    mods, can you change the title of the thread? I tried to change the subject line to the right date, and it wouldn't show up right.

8. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

10/25 is the right date you are cool.

9. The Truth Commission

Mar 29, 2000
    Parts Unknown
    Please help us next Saturday. We are family, remember???

--------------------------------------------
    COLUMBUS (AND KANSAS CITY) ARE MASSIVE CLUBS.

10. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Don't worry...

All you need to do is get us to OT and the game is all yours..

This season we are 0-5-8 in OT including two straight OT losses and a mind boggling 3 OT losses in the 99th minute...

United are playing like a defeated team right now and should be easy pray for KC..

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I have never seen the Wizards win an "away" game. Will next week finally be the one?

12. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No you are bad luck. You can not go even if the game isn't that important.

13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    You were right the first time. Should things continue to go to pot this'll be the fourth year in a row. :(

I was trying to figure out how your team is going to approach this game. This is what I wrote over on the DC board's playoff picture thread:
    Is that about right? Anything to add? Correct? How much do you really think this game matters to the Wizards? Do they care about home field advantage or do they just want to get through this and get on with the playoffs?

14. Wizardscharter

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    KC visits the black and white

Players have been quoted even before the Dallas match as saying that it does matter. Beside the obvious, the main logic is running the extra :30 if neccessary in KC would be greatly preferred to doing so in the altitude of Mile High in Denver. KC will not play to tie initially as the Colorado result will not go final until 1 hour after dc/KC is concluded. One point would assure that COL would need to beat Dallas for second. I would doubt anyone in the KC organization would be comfortable planning on Dallas taking points.

15. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Yeah, the team is deffinitly playing for the W. Besides possibly having the thirty minute golden goal (if it comes down to it) at a normal altitude, we would then keep home field if LA somehow upsets San JOse (and they may be able to with the way SJ has played over thier last three).

The real question is will Chicago play to win? For the first time I can think of, Chicago has the ability to choose who they want to play in the first leg. Say KC wins Sat. night. Does Chicago then play to lose so that they can rest their better players and play a worse team (although, to be fair, DCU is not playing a whole lot better than Columbus it right now) in the playoffs? If I were Sarachan I would have to give some serious thought to losing this game. Less travel, less pressure, and possibility of S8OT traveling to Ohio for the away leg. Fire have a much better record at Crew Stadium than they do at RFK.

16. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Win or lose, 2nd place or 3rd, we still host LA if they manage to win.

17. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    ah true. My bad.

18. Wizardscharter

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Hi, I'm Dave. I'm sure you are in full support of dc earning the "you still suck" allocation of Adu instead of just being given it. Good luck.

As for me, in response to continued sickening arrogance of dc fans in years long past, I may have posted some things in the Rivalry Forum that have irritated dc fans slightly. That's why I was mentioned above.
    :)

19. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Anyone that can irritate DC fans (or Fire fans - maybe even Gals and MetroSucks fans) gets a positive grade from me.

Now, the MteroSucks must be mad. The first superstar allocation and they won't get him in a "weighed lottery". How sad!

Go out there and beat DC's butt for us.

20. Wizardscharter

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    The dc board has suggested odds of a dc loss as 45-50%

KC is certainly rolling but isn't pummeling people. I'd put a dc loss at something less than 50%. The reason being KC's record in dc. Something always seems to happen to prevent good play from becoming goals.

On paper KC should win. Logic being that without Olsen and Rimando, dc's relative weak spots exactly match KC strengths. Wingplay and KC outshooting teams. If you look at Klein's production (not scoring exactly, but close) you will find a high corellation to KC's results. With no outstanding coverage of Klein, others will be forced to double and overlap coverage opening space for others. If KC handles pressure as they have shown in previous weeks of late, KC should be able to possess :50 of :90 and get crosses to forwards. The space will be found and taken by Preki/Igor/whoever. With Warren being new to KC's offense and presumably shots coming from everywhere, one mistake will find its' way to the scoreboard.

The danger as always will be defense of the counter.

More on Warren and his first start v KC: Going back through history GK's have not fared well the first time they have gone up against KC. It isn't automatic, but many GK's had bad outings over the years. A diffinitive list of the guilty:

Dusty Huddock '96 (3-0), Tom Liner '96 (3-2), Bo Oshoniyi '96 (6-4), Meola '96 (2-1), Causey '96 (4-1 subbed at half), Simpson '96 (8 GA in 225 min), Salzweidel '97 (3-2), David Kramer '97 (3-2), Marcus Haanemann '97 (4-3), Paul Grafer '97 (5-2), Thornton '98 (1-0 on a rebound error), Ian Feuer '98 (3-1), Andy Kirk '98 (5-1), Amman '99 1st game against KC (he was on KC's roster until then 6-0), Greg Sutton '00 (4-3 and one of the very few wins against CHI), Adin Brown '00 (3-0), Jurgen Summer '01 (2-1, not 1st game v KC, but first since '88- no other 1st timers in '01, (only Busch in '03 - 1-1, not bad), D.J. Countess '03 (3-1), Onstad '03 (brilliant season but had the own goal batted in howler, 1-1).

Many GK's have done well and this list cerainly has guys with short careers. Certainly it's not a guarantee of a KC barrage, but there is certainly a history of rooks going in the tank against what has historically been veteran KC teams who know how to exploit a weakness.

It could happen.
    -oot

21. Wizardscharter

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Yikes, this website needs a spellcheck.

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And yet they refuse the factor in the fact that I plan to attend the game. A DC loss in that situation would be unprecedented.

23. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Re: Re: Pre-game 11/25 KC/DCU - Won't Dave be thrilled? [R]

(someone break this guys legs...)

24. KCWIZFLAG

KCWIZFLAG Member

Oct 31, 2002
    Gladstone, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Pre-game 11/25 KC/DCU - Won't Dave be thrilled? [R]

Maybe someone can inform security at RFK...

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Re: Re: Re: Pre-game 11/25 KC/DCU - Won't Dave be thrilled? [R]

A roundtrip plane ticket to somewhere else might change my mind....