Prague

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by supersport, Jan 2, 2006.

1. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    I'm going to make a side trip to Prague, while I'm in Germany for World Cup, is Prague still a good deal? What are the things I must see and do?

2. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    My wife will be there at the end of the month. I will ask her when she gets back.

3. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

Please do. We're going in about 6 months.

4. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
  5. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Prague will be very busy during the summer. If you are going, try to book ahead a few months. Learn a little Czech as the people will appreciate it... even if it is just mluvite anglicky (do you understand English). Someone mentioned the food in and around Stare Mesto.... it is much more expensive then what you would pay outside of Prague and even outside of the city centre. Oh yeah, I wouldn't say Prauge is a good deal, but I suppose that is all relative as to how much you have to spend.

I haven't been to Prague since 2002, and I usually only use it as a base to get into the Czech Republic (by plane) so I'm not that much help.

I'm going back to the Czech Republic this March and I'll be flying into Brno.... I can't wait! :D

6. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    From my wife

7. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!

From what I have heard Budapest is more interesting than Prague...unless you like "Disney & McWorld" type places. However, I know people who have really enjoyed Brno....which is where some of the better Pilsner brewers reside.

8. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    this beer was all over the place in stockholm. i seem to remember enjoying it.

9. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I live in Prague so I can probably help; for starters most of Prague is still cheap by more western standards if thats what you are wondering about. However there are areas where you can spend alot of money here as well, in general the further from Charles Bridge/Old Town you get the cheaper. For sights old town and the castle are where you will find the highest concentration of historic landmarks. If you have any particular interests or want to know good restaurants or bars I can try and help.

10. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Prague is more popular with tourists than Budapest, and this really annoys the tourists who like to think themselves a step or two ahead of the common herd and enjoy dismissing anywhere that's popular.

I like Budapest, but while it may feel a bit more "authentically east european" than Prague, Prague outshines it in almost every other respect.