Practicing with a smaller ball

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by hemariva, Sep 12, 2003.

1. hemariva

hemariva New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    Missouri
    I know using a tennis ball will improve skill, so an under-regulation sized ball does too, right? I have an old kid's ball that I don't use, so I was thinking about doing so.

Also, would it help my kicking power as I would be aiming for a smaller target on the smaller ball?

2. quattrosystem

quattrosystem Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think if you're just using, say, maybe a size 4 ball it won't make a huge diff, but maybe a size 3 or a skill ball, over time that may have some affect. Your kick power might seem greater if you're using the smaller ball since it's probably going to be lighter, but other than that IMO I think that it may even screw up your shot because the areas of the ball that you're striking differ, so if you get used to the smaller ball, it might cause your normal shot (with a normal ball) to be altered. Traditionally though, smaller balls are used to improve ball handling, but I'm not sure about shot power or anything shooting related.

3. hawk_claw

hawk_claw New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    Wisconsin
    ig et yelled at during tennis practice cuz i dribble with the balls....lol get smy feet to be much quicker

4. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i personally don't like practicing with the 'skill' balls

5. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    They say that you shouldn't ever use a size 5 ball until you're 16 to make sure that your skills develop properly.