Practice Observations: Fishy Story

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by 3rd Degree, May 15, 2007.

1. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, but they also have a personal endorsment contract with junior through next year. It will be interestiong to see how it all plays out. Let us not forget that Goodwrench dropped it's sponsorship from the #29 this year, I doubt that they would jump back in but it would seem to be a good fit.

2. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One problem with that definition:

a. It looks like Track (100 m dash / 400 m, 1600 m etc...) would not be sport.

My quick definition:

1. The participants must be able to determine the outcome (i.e. score, no judging) (Not sure how to get boxing in there.)
    2. No conveyance (horse, car, etc...)
    3. At some point you the participant needs to break into at least a jog. (Not sure how to kick golf out as a sport and get skiing in.)

So there you have it - more or less.

3. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

I guess that would somewhat put NASCAR in the sports catagory, thought I don't believe it is really a sport.

4. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

It has its own category...its not a sport, its not a game, its car racing. Golf is a game.Soccer is a sport.

5. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they are my rules, track is not a sport. It's athletics.

6. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    see, E66 gets it.

7. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    now poker on the other hand, THAT's a sport.

8. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    So cycling not a sport? Poor Lance Amstrong and all those Sportsman of the Year awards.

9. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    My rules are pretty easy.

- There must be a clear determination of final result....no "opinion" judgements to determine result. (this kills figure skating, gymnastics and any other "artform" sports)

- Participants at the highest level must be in better than average physical condition for their age (this kills golf, John Daly isn't an athlete)

That's really it. If an activity is able to meet those two criterian I deem it a sport.....and Auto Racing qualifies. HA HA.

10. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I know what it is that I don't like about NASCAR... I think to like and appreciate NASCAR, you have to like and appreciate cars. you have to be interested in engines or frames or whatever, and I'm just not. I know and care nothing about those things, I can change oil and change a tire and that's more than enough.

to enjoy soccer I don't have to know about the biological structure of leg muscles and what kinds of exercises help you recover from a hamstring injury.

11. fcd_noob

fcd_noob New Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Plano
    Well, if you were a poker enthusiast like me, you'd know that the big-name players work their butts off to get the best hands. Ever notice that the players who make the most money have the best cards? That's not "just" luck of the draw.

BTW Bill Fillmaff taught me everything I need to know about poker. Shaddap and learn something:

http://www.billfillmaff.com/

(The above would be that "kidding" thing. FYI only, carry on.) :D

12. nutella

nutella Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Plateau
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Almost makes John Daly look fit.

[​IMG]

"Who ate all the pies? "

13. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't being sarcastic, I love poker.

14. fcd_noob

fcd_noob New Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Plano
    I like poker too, if only for the announcers. "Fillmaff with a pair of wired cowboys!"

Love the "Degree check mark" too.

Oh, and I blew my chance earlier to ask, if poker isn't a sport, then why do so many players wear jerseys? (B-ball jerseys, but hey.)

Mike Royko once said that if you can smoke and hold a mug of beer while participating, it's not a sport. There goes bowling.

15. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I love cars but I hate NASCAR, so that doesn't always hold up.

16. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sure, but it's probably not possible for the reverse to be true.

17. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF has happened to this forum?

A nice report from Buzz, worthy of discussion, and we get this crap thread (overall considering the thread impetus)?

(the trend recently)

18. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (now to actually keep on the off topic)

The first two I'm completely in line with, and I don't necessarily disagree with 3, but I'd also add something about physical exertion.

Still basically the same.....
    Golf, Bowling, Track & Field, Cycling, Auto Racing, Horse Racing, Boat Racing, Ice Skating, Poker, Darts, etc = not sports
    Athletics, games, competitions: sure - but not sports.

On that note, I'm actually fine with this stuff being on the "sports" TV channels, but definately feel "sports" should have priority (ie FSN, ESPN, VS, FSW, etc)

Repped (edit: when it lets me)

19. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

United States
    May 9, 2003
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about thread splitting then?

Label the other crap OT and it's all good.
    That and a couple collective threads that you mentioned would solve alot of problems with this forum, in my humble opinion.

20. WarrenAbao

WarrenAbao New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Grand Prairie, Tex.
    I bowl in a league, and I'll be one of the first to tell you bowling is not a sport.

I'm just glad beer isn't on bowling's banned substance list.

21. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I concur. If you want to talk Nascar devote a thread to it but I'm tired of it derailing half the threads.

22. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Could we possibly get an OT board on here the way some other teams do? Maybe in place of that news bot threads board?

23. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tired of being a mod yet, tex? ;)

24. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Moderating this board is pretty darn easy, since it's pretty much always been a free for all.

25. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    No....I'm not moderating another forum. While the OT stuff occassionaly gets out of control, it usually goes in spurts and then calms down. I don't believe it ever ruins the board. I've noticed an incredible decrease in OT since the creation of the TIDN board a few years ago. Haven't you?