Practice Observations - 8/2/07

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by texgator, Aug 2, 2007.

1. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
  2. justscore

justscore Member

May 31, 2004
    Southlake
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dario seemed very tired today. The whole team (in my opinion) was down and a bit tired. Not alot of joking around and playing around as usual. Saturday ought to be interesting.

3. Nic D in BIG D!

Nic D in BIG D! New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    DFW
    There should be no joking around. After that can kickin' they took the other night, there should be some soul searching going on!

Nic D,:mad:in Big D!

4. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the stuff about Shaka off doing something mysterious...

5. FCDfan

FCDfan Member

Apr 23, 2007
    McKinney, TX
    I'm now and forever a loyal 3rd Degree fan from this day forward for no other reason than the two (Two!) Beastie references ... Never mind the always excellent and consistently professional coverage of my favorite MLS team...

Well done, Buzz. Keep it up.

6. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    So what I don't get is why Morrow didn't pull Sala after it was obvious he was laboring? I mean goal 2 & 3 he was limping badly. Did he not realize in SuperLiga there is a free goalie sub in addition to the 4 field players? Not to mention I would hope he would have put him through some type of fitness and movement test before the game, and not just ask, Are you ok?

7. jwedding

jwedding Member

Jul 21, 2003
    McKinney
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably because he didn't want to burn a sub that early after watching how poor the rest of the team was doing. That was brutal though, I wondered it as well.

Edit: Wow, you got a free goalie sub? Bet he blanked on it. I didn't know it, but then, it's not my job to know all the rules for varying tournaments. In that case, WTF, Stevie?

8. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The more I think about this the more I'm mad at Dario. Sure Steve should have tested him, maybe, but you're dealing with a veteran goalie who you would trust between the posts and by word of mouth. If Dario said he was good to go he should trust him. But its obvious Dario wasn't ready what-so-ever, yet he still played? Dario, I love your passion of the game, but letting Landygoon score that goal because you couldn't move to stop him pretty much killed off any hope of a comeback not to mention all the other goals in the first half that wouldn't have put us in the hole to begin with. If you're not ready speak up son, jesus.

Ray played too well against the sr. goats to not play when called upon, its not like we have a bad backup. This is just ameatur sh!t, and I'm pissed :mad:

9. tornado fan

tornado fan Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Is there also just a little bit of "I let in six goals, I need a good excuse" in all of this on Dario's part? Not saying there's no injury. Just saying that Dario may be more than eager to bring that up after Tuesday's fiasco. Had the outcome been different, perhaps he wouldn't have been as eager to share the extent of his injury publicly.

10. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Burning, this game is on Dario. Ray's family was there to see him play and he was the best option. Dario should know when to step back for the good of the team.

Tisk Tisk.

11. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Wow.....really? I didn't know there was a free goalie sub PLUS 4 subs. That really does throw this whole thing into a different light. I don't care WHAT Dario was saying before the game, there really is no excuse not to pull him out.....even waiting until halftime would have helped the cause some. That's crazy.....I now pin at least 80% of the blame on Morrow.

12. tornado fan

tornado fan Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Maybe we should get confirmation on the Superliga rules before we decide to throw one or the other under the bus.

13. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    throw the whole team under the bus, we gave up 6 goals to the LA Galaxy. If we don't beat Colorado by a margin of 4 then this week is just a disaster.

14. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    ttujosh is right....

15. Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock New Member

Jan 26, 2007

IMHO it didn't matter who we played at GK, bad defense in front of the goal was at fault.

16. JuanIg

JuanIg New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Dallas
    Do you really think a team should base its lineup based on whose family is there to see him play? That's stupider that Morrow insisting Sala was 100 percent.

My take on the situation is that both Morrow and Sala knew he wasn't 100 percent. How could he be when he's limping like that and he has a mummy-like wrap on his knee? They *both* took a gamble that his knee would hold and it didn't. After the game, instead of saying "Dario and I misjudged his readiness," Morrow said Sala was 100 percent. If Morrow had admitted he put a player out there that wasn't 100 percent, I bet Sala wouldn't have said anything. Morrow opted to cover his own rear instead of admitting a mistake. Sala has had bad games and I've never seen him make excuses or blame his defenders. If Morrow throws him under the train, he should be able to defend himself.

Morrow could see that Sala was hurt during the game. I could see it and I'm about 20 rows up. He didn't sub him out, even though he could have without penalty. He must have thought Sala could play through the pain. When it was clear he couldn't, he denied that Sala was hurt altogether. But he wants us to believe he's hurt now.

Morrow is trying to protect himself on an error in judgement that both he and Sala made. Now the real test will be whether his decision leads to a lockerroom unraveling.

17. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course I am not saying he should have played because his family was there, I am just saying that not playing him when he is the best option is bad but holding out the best option when his family is there adds insult to injury.

18. justscore

justscore Member

May 31, 2004
    Southlake
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His family is still in town - glad they will get to see him play.

Sala's family was in town last Tues - that's why he played ;)

19. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's true in MLS too. If you have made your three subs and the keeper gets injured you can sub him.

there was even some abuse of this by having a hurt player put on the keepers jersey and the keeper a field jersey, then sub out the injured player as an "injured keeper," then have your real keeper swap with the new "healthy" keeper you just put in. They since made a rule against that.

IIRC FCD did it once at Southlake when Countess was in net.

20. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought they did away with that. I thought for sure they did away with the loophole, but I thought the whole thing was now a thing of the past.

21. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i will ask again but I am fairly sure that rule is still in effect. If you have used your subs and your keeper gets hurt it's just far too devastating. What I think they got rid of was the abuse of it by moving a field player to keeper.

22. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    from what I remember from opening day of 2003, DJ got hurt so they brought in Casser on. But then later there were 3 'normal' subs. EJ and Brad Davis were two of them. can't remember who the third was. But it was like 3 subs+keeper.

Then I thought they changed it in 2004 where say your keeper is injuried, you only have 3 subs and you burn one with the keeper.

In 2005 I think it was, Casser goes off injuried against classless chivas goat beaters and Garlick came on and only two subs left.

Not saying you're wrong, but I thought the MLS had gone with 'the rest of the world' in terms of subs.

23. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I checked with my people, you guys were right, they changed that rule. Not sure about the date, but you no longer get the 4th emergency sub for the keeper.

24. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    have your people call my people....but seriously, I would love to know what morrows thoughts are on why he didnt make a change in goal when it was obvious he was laboring

25. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since you can't do it in MLS he might not have realized he could do it in this tournament. Does anyone go over tournament rules with a fine tooth conb or do you read a few they seem normal and you skip around the rest?