Practical tips - what to take to South Africa?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Fans & Travel' started by matthewuk, May 30, 2010.

1. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    We are the only people that call trainers Tekkies or Tackies. Slip slops are called thongs in some countries, but to us that is a G-string.....
    A Sweater we call a jersey (if it is woollen/looks like wool). A t-shirt is also called a skipper. Nightclothes we call pyjamas and bathing suits are costumes. Those tiny things that no man except Ryk Neethling should ever wear on the beach we call Speedos even though it is a brand name. Barettes we just call hairclips and we cut our fringes not bangs. Babies wear nappies not diapers. A vest is something you wear under your clothes - a pullover is a sleeveless jersey.

If you want to be truly South african you can like to wear a jeanpant wiff crocs....:p

2. carlo822

carlo822 Member

May 22, 2010
    Hi Gronum,

You mentioned a camera with large capacity memory cards. I was thinking about taking a netbook for storage and some wi-fi, but it sounds like internet access may be somewhat of an issue or it may be easier to use internet at accommodation, etc.

What camera do you think would be suitable? I was thinking about Canon SX120is for its optical zoom (10x) on safari and other photos. Maybe some others can chime in on what kind of camera they are taking? Also underwater photos for shark dive?

3. Pablinsky

Pablinsky Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Maitencillo
    I'm a veteran of 3 worldcups. The best accessory to bring is a pair of Two way radios, they are very handy in the crowds and when walking around the city. ;)

4. whiskerxx

whiskerxx Member+

May 30, 2006
    I think much depends on how much you enjoy photography and what you intend to do with the pics. Personally, as a veteran of a number of these kind of things I think its great to have a record of the event and some of the things that you got up to, but in truth I rarely look at the pics.
    So this time I'm not taking a camera at all!!
    I intend to use my blackberry for phone, email, music, photography and video.
    I have a 16GB card installed and think that should be enough. One thing I'm not sure of is whether I should back it up. But I suppose I could lose a camera just as easy as losing my blackberry.

I won't try it underwater though!!

5. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yikes - am not a camera buff. I would bring a digital camera with 2 sets of batteries (one always on the charger) and large memory + the cables - go to an internet cafe and download the photos to Picasa/facebook or some website where the photos will be safe. I would buy a disposable underwater camera for the shark shots. If my cell had a camera of at least 5-8 megapixels and had good camera functionality I would also leave the camera at home or just use it on non-match days - would not want to carry too much stuff around when going to a match.
    I would also bring a mini tripod for those self timer shots.

Safari? Bring the best zoom lens you can afford. Great to be able to zoom in on the action. BTW - apparently there has beena lot of rain at the Kruger so the grass is quite high and you would need binoculars/ a high vehicle to spot the animals.

6. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Dude...in my opinion you will regret not having a camera here...How can you travel and not record it? I suggest you bring a entry level digital camera of 5mp or so....Something like this at least:

[​IMG]

7. whiskerxx

whiskerxx Member+

May 30, 2006
    I will be recording it! On my blackberry.
    The pics won't win any awards, but they will be a reminder of all that has happened. I can take 2400 hi rez pics or 700 hours of video!!
    I only have one item to carry, one item to charge (mostly in the car when we are driving), one set of cables etc etc.

Like I said, the pics wont be the best quality, bit they will suit my needs.

8. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    Giraffes. ;-)

9. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Ha - you'll be surprised at how difficult they are to spot. They disguise themselves well....

[​IMG]

10. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    clever idea....especially if you're not wanting to use the cellphone too much.

"Honey, bring me two boerewors rolls instead of one please"

11. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    You forgot - Roger Over!

12. carlo822

carlo822 Member

May 22, 2010
    Thanks for the advice on a camera. I love to shoot photos and I want to capture as much as I can to take back home with me. Is it easy to transfer photos to picassa or another site? I haven't used these before.

13. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yup - and I am very dumb with stuff like that! It helps to have a gmail account from google already set up. Just type in PICASA in the google search - you can use the simple uploader (like on Facebook) to upload 5 photos at a time or you can download the uploader(!) and load up all your photos. You can either make the album public for everyone to see or invite specific guests. It has a mapping facility where you can pinpoint where you took the photos - cool. Look at http://picasaweb.google.com/n.gronum/WC2010# that was a very basic upload.

14. Cool Arrow

Cool Arrow New Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Here's a practical tip: stay the hell away from the US practice facility. I went yesterday just to see the boys going in and wave a flag and show some love as they arrived. But man, was it a giant headache.

I was interrogated by 7 different SA police officers! 5 plainclothes detective-types with earpieces and 2 regular police in marked cars...the best part was when one of them asked, "what's the flag for?" Then they asked for my passport, ID, home address, phone number, place I was staying, arrival and departure dates, games I was attending...and then proceeded to run a background check.

My car was searched top to bottom, along with everything in my day pack. All I did was stand across the street waiting for these team bus to roll by so I could wave to the guys (I have a lot of time to kill between now and June 11th, haha). They were paranoid. It was quite the welcome to South Africa, needless to say...

It was belittling and while I understand they are just looking out for the guys, it was a bit too much, really. Especially when you're dealing with a hothead SA plainclothes guy.

Just a heads up.

15. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    On the opposite side of the spectrum the Brasilian team had a practice session yesterday that was attended by a lot of civilians with hardly any hassles - the tight security is probably a request from the USA team not a South African issue. We drive past their hotel everyday and security is VERY tight. I suppose of all the teams they would be the best(!) team to target to make some political point.

Were you at Southdowns? Could you (eventually) get to see them? My kids and I want to check them out too.

16. Cool Arrow

Cool Arrow New Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Yeah, the Brasil fans here at the hostel were beaming about how they were treated, so I figured I would try. As the only US fan at the US practice, it was quite a difference from the zoo that is Argentina's training facility, which is 200 meters away from our hostel. I understand the US is a major target and appreciate that the SA police are doing their duty, but it was just unreasonable for them to take that approach.

They were actually at Pilditch stadium, in Pretoria. The whole place is gated and surrounded by police, so the only chance to see them was entering and leaving the facility on their bus...not really worth it, I'd say. I went about 3 hours before their practice and walked right into the stadium, checked out the pitch (it was very well maintained!) and just asked the guys working there what time the US practiced. 2 hours later, it was on full lockdown.

Oh well, now I just gotta try to find where to buy US vs. Australia tix and I will be good...

17. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Saturday's friendly?? Get free tickets at the Australian Embassy in Arcadia Pretoria if they are not all gone yet (and can you get one or two for me too pretty please - will feed you or something!!):eek:

18. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sorry to hear about your negative experience. I was hoping to try to go to one of their practices once I got to South Africa. But after your story, I think I will re-think that plan.

Do you think that there is anybody from US soccer that we could email about the chance to watch a practice?

19. carlo822

carlo822 Member

May 22, 2010
    Thanks Gronum! Do you know how many photos/video I can upload to Picasa. I plan to take hundreds of pictures.

20. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--

No I don't know - hope you share the pics with all of us!

21. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Ok bumped:

What did foreigners realise they forgot at home once arriving in SA? Can foreigners please advise other foreigners what to bring regarding their own experience?