Powerpoint in the classroom: love it or hate it?

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by minorthreat, Jul 13, 2009.

1. anonymou$

anonymou$ New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    I personally prefer attending a class where the instructor uses power point for their teaching. It's way better than having to sit there listening to a boring teacher talk with no personality.

The visuals help. Having pictures to go with the words goes a long way. In my opinion. I get that some people hate it. But I think it's just a generational thing...

2. revsfan444

revsfan444 Member

Mar 27, 2008
    As a student, I can tell that teachers make PPTs for one big reason. It makes their lives easier. Lets say a teacher teaches 2 English 101 classes a year. Instead of writing stuff on the board every class every year, they make one power point and never have to re-plan their lesson. They can use that every year they are at the school. PPTs are good at times, and for when we have to make presentations if you use a white board it looks like you did not plan it out enough compared to to the time spent on a PPT.

3. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i'm reminded of when i was at college back oh, i seem to recall it was just before the pelopponesian wars...

no powerpoint then, and the whiteboards were black, meaning green. my principal prof would write all the names and terms on the board, to help us in our notetaking...

he was a very good lecturer, well organized, concentrated, and witty to boot.

later when i was his TA, i sat in on the same lectures again. every name was in the same place on the board, and each bon mot came in at the exact same spot. i realized he was just repeating, year after year, a little ppt that he had in his head.

n.n.s.s.

1 person likes this.
  4. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once you have the template set up,it's not that hard to change a Powerpoint presentation.

So there's really no excuse to not change your powerpoint or tailor it for different audiences.

5. revsfan444

revsfan444 Member

Mar 27, 2008
    well if you are teaching the same class every year, maybe you will tweak it, but it will be at least 95% the same. That is better than writing the same stuff 3 times a day for 10+ years.

6. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's also where the notes section comes in handy.You insert talking points or new information that you want to touch on in lecture,print the notes view and use it as reference for your talk.

7. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yup. No different from the ancient note cards a ton of my profs used to recycle year after year after year.

My first year of teaching, a senior prof told me that the key to lesson planning was organization. He had ALL of his lectures in a file cabinet in a system he knew well. He barely had to plan any lessons. Ever.

I had one prof who insisted we get a specific edition of a medieval text. B/c it was a grad class, we all had the text in various editions. (I think I personally had 2 or 3 versions.)

Mo'fo' lifted his entire ****ing lectures off the intro and notes of a separate edition and passed it off as if these were his brilliant observations. (He was the typical Euro Trash bonehead who thought 'Merikan students are just too goddamn stupid. Too bad "social grace" and manners prevented us from pointing out who the stupid one was. I mean... 2/3rds of us had the edition he was stealing from!)

8. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See,I was always the dick who pointed it out.

Online classes protect me from myself. :)