Powerpoint in the classroom: love it or hate it?

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by minorthreat, Jul 13, 2009.

1. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I was recently asked to start using it more in my lessons. Personally, I absolutely detest the ********ing thing - it kills your presence because people pay attention to it and not to you, the screen restricts your movement way too much (I tend to move around a lot while speaking and use big gestures) and destroys your ability to write on the board, and it's just a logistical pain in the ass most of the time.

I can't exactly tell my boss to go to hell where this is concerned, but words absolutely fail to describe just how much I hate this idiotic piece of software. It's good for business, but has absolutely no place in the classroom.

2. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I hated classes that used power point when I was in school. I even hate power point now that I'm in the working world

3. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drop a few bucks to the great Edward Tufte, slip this under your bosses' door and your .ppt troubles might just be over.

Well, I'll be cheering for you anyway. I more or less refuse to use it for any kind of regular classroom activity for the same reasons as you. Luckily no one's given me any guff about it. I've used it now and then for conference presentations, but I do my best to avoid it.

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I rarely use it, and when I do, I only use it for images and illustrations, and never for text/outlines of what we're talking about.

Not only does it kill the teacher's presence in the classroom, it kills off that of the students, too, since many of them don't listen enough to participate or take notes, since they can go to Courseweb or Blackboard and just print up the "outline," as if those skimming stupid bullet points as useful as participating and taking notes.

By the way, most people I know who work in business (including a VP for MellonNY) think that power point is a waste of time there, too. The VP was happy when I gave him my copy of that piece MichaelK links too... which I had already used to get ammunition for the time when a dean at my college tried to get EVERYONE to use the program, no matter how appropiate it is or not. I'm glad I learned how to use it, since I'm in a better position to argue for it's worthlessness as a result.

5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have students use it for selected activities, but provide a grading rubric that makes clear that it and a handout must complement the oral presentation, not replicate any part of it. I use it rarely in lecture, in place of slides and/or overheads, when I have images I want to share - as a complement only.

But if I walk into a meeting and PP is cued up, I am pretty sure I'll get to grade papers instead of pay attention - especially when they hand me a whole stack of papers containing the PP itself in print form.

6. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mind PPT so much, but I absolutely hate it when someone is using PPT and then they begin to read it word-for-word. I know how to read. If you post paragraphs of text on the slides and can't take the lecture any further than your PPT, just post it and walk out. This is one of my biggest pet peeves.

I remember getting griped at by a professor in college because I was playing solitaire on my laptop as he read his PPT to the class. I told him that I was reading the slide and entertaining myself as I waited for him to read it to everyone else.

If you have a Smart Board you would be able to use PPT and write on the board at the same time. It is a great piece of equipment for the classroom.

7. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I had a college professor who would read PP slides word for word. The PP slides he used were provided by the company that provided the book, and they were pretty much a basic outline of the book. Don't think I read that book once and got an A in the class. of course, class was boring as hell.

8. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I subbed for 6 weeks in a AP English class and senior English, I only used PP for the seniors and only to list vocabulary words that would be on a test. My rationale was that my whiteboard printing is good but not quite so clear as the PP text. I could pay attention to the class, since I showed the entire list at once.

I could have given them a handout, but that uses paper.

Most of the kids had a spiral notebook for the class, so they just wrote the words and the definitions down. I said them aloud and gave some etymology on occasion. There were 10 words, so it took less than 10 minutes. I did it at the beginning of the period, after roll, so I had the PP ready to go when they came in.

Some kids are auditory, some are visual, and some learn better when they copy stuff down themselves; at least that's what I'm told.

As an aside, in my former occupation as a civil service supervisor, I've been in meetings where entire 20 page ppts were read. It's insulting to anyone who's half way intelligent.

9. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that PPT has some benefits in the classroom. I used a PPT when I was introducing the Panama Canal in a secondary US History class. As long as the speaker knows the dos and donts of PPT it is useful. The problem is many people just dont get it.

I actually had a PPT Seminar day with my 11th grade students to get them aquainted it before they get to college. It seems that I had to make a million PPT presentations in college.

10. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking as a recent student...

No Powerpoint = I have to pay attention in class and take notes

Problem is that most profs didn't want to write a bunch of stuff on the board. They'd rather just take the PPT packet, hook their laptop up to the overhead projector, and click-click-click through the lecture.

And oh yeah, people really need to learn what to put onto Powerpoint slides (i.e. not nearly as much details as they DO put on their slides). It's not really a bullet point if you're putting an entire paragraph there.

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Just saw this article linked to aldaily.com. Not sure how long it will be accessible, since the Chronicle of Higher Education is a pay site.

http://chronicle.com/free/v55/i42/42a00103.htm

When Computers Leave Classrooms, So Does Boredom

College leaders usually brag about their tech-filled "smart" classrooms, but a dean at Southern Methodist University is proudly removing computers from lecture halls. José A. Bowen, dean of the Meadows School of the Arts, has challenged his colleagues to "teach naked" — by which he means, sans machines.

More than anything else, Mr. Bowen wants to discourage professors from using PowerPoint, because they often lean on the slide-display program as a crutch rather than using it as a creative tool. Class time should be reserved for discussion, he contends, especially now that students can download lectures online and find libraries of information on the Web. When students reflect on their college years later in life, they're going to remember challenging debates and talks with their professors. Lively interactions are what teaching is all about, he says, but those give-and-takes are discouraged by preset collections of slides.

He's not the only one raising questions about PowerPoint, which on many campuses is the state of the art in classroom teaching. A study published in the April issue of British Educational Research Journal found that 59 percent of students in a new survey reported that at least half of their lectures were boring, and that PowerPoint was one of the dullest methods they saw. The survey consisted of 211 students at a university in England and was conducted by researchers at the University of Central Lancashire.

Most students seem more attentive now, he says, though a few have been thrown off by the new system.

"Strangely enough, the people who are most resistant to this model are the students, who are used to being spoon-fed material that is going to be quote unquote on the test," says Mr. Heffernan. "Students have been socialized to view the educational process as essentially passive. The only way we're going to stop that is by radically refiguring the classroom in precisely the way José wants to do it."

12. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I admire the intent behind that move, not being a powerpointer, but I'd be miffed if they took the computer/net connection out of my classroom or leaned on me not to use it. I can't count the number of times I've shown something (an old clip or video, a trailer, or something such) off Youtube. Sometimes right off the cuff.

13. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PowerPoint is a tool to be used along with other tools such as ELMO, flip charts, discussion groups, white board, SmartBoard, etc.

A good PPT presentation is basically an outline. Use the 6 x 6 rule - no more than 6 lines and no more than 6 words per line. It's great to show charts and graphs (and even video these days). But it cannot be the sole source of content.

However, if your room is not pre-configured with LCD projector and screen the setup and tear down can be tedious, not to mention the wiring and real estate required by the objects.

14. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two recent experiences: a meeting with a university VP who asked that we all print off a copy of the PP before coming to the meeting (ugh!), and an oral final where my students were permitted to use two power point slides for their 7 minute presentation. Each slide had a particular dynamic it had to meet, and it worked well.

16. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would get rid of Powerpoint entirely for my training (Orientation to providing services to people with DD), but there is so much information to go through in a short time,that I have to present salient points in a format they can take away and review later.

Lots of handouts,but most times I don't hook up the projector.I think instructors who rely on Powerpoint to lecture are not confident in their classroom presentation skills.

17. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Personal Experiences with PPT (Currently in my final term of my BA degree)

The most common place that I found it to be used was in the History department, even by prof's who had already considerable experience in teaching to classes without it. They generally got around the issue by either putting their own experiences into it (one prof included pictures he had taken in Europe relating to the subject at hand) or by putting their own words into it. One prof, who used PPT and allowed students to access them online put his own aspect to it. These included....

The story behind the term "cutting off the nose to spite the face" (History of the Vikings)
    Giving birth to a fire child is rather painful (Mythological beliefs behind the founding of Japan)
    Why teachers should never have a relationship with students (Peter Abalard)

In terms of using powerpoint, the first time I used it was a disaster given that I had done it on a 2007 version of powerpoint but the laptop my prof borrowed from the college only had the 2005 version (.pptx vs. .ppt). The next class I had with him I would have my own laptop by that time and gave a powerpoint presentation on my seminar topic. In both cases, I had to submit a typed version of my presentation 1 week afterwards, which forced a lot of people to be sharp in their presentations.

In POLS courses, the profs tended to be mixed on PPT usage although my Classmates in my International Law class used PPT quite frequently. I found it useful in that case since it allowed me to illustrate the sources for the topic I used. Most sociology profs still used the old overhead system and, rarely, the whiteboard.

18. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another thing PP is useful for is webinars.I've attended a series of these lately and it's been useful to have something to follow along with while the presenter is speaking.

19. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Not a teacher, but I work in business and use PowerPoint a fair bit. The problem is not slide software, but the fact that 90-95% of people don't use it appropriately. Agree with what ElJefe said earlier - when the PowerPoint slides came out in a university lecture that was generally my cue to completely switch off.

For my personal preference, even that's too much content. I try and stick to three, maybe four bullet points of a handful of words.

I see that as a perfect use of PowerPoint - one slide for every three or four minutes of speaking content at the very most, and used solely to highlight the absolutely most essential points or provide visual aids such as charts/diagrams. I will routinely give 20-30 minute presentations with only three to six slides that have very little text on them.

To me PPT is not there to regurgitate my presentation - it's not even there to provide a broad outline of my presentation. It there as an aid, which means it has to add something to what I'm saying.

In that sense it is the same as a blackboard to draw on, or a screen to show a video. You wouldn't use either of those things to just duplicate partially or fully what you're saying, so why do it with a slideshow?

20. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    In b-school, it doesn't seem to matter either way. The good professors who use PowerPoint would almost certainly still be good professors if they eschewed it. They simply have charisma and good speaking skills and easily command the class's attention away from the slides.

For the more technical material, though, I think it's a godsend (or at least no worse than overhead slides). It's helpful in class and really helpful for later studies.

21. SportsGuru

SportsGuru New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I love to use Powerpoint. Its one of the finest presentation tools. But to use it in a classroom, no i would not.

22. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    A friend of mine and I have both been urged by higher-ups to use PP in order to ... "organize" ... our lectures. I'm new to this, so I have no point of comparison, but my friend is in his 4th year and can compare the results of PP/no-PP.

Without question, students are performing worse, but they feel more comfortable and like the PP.

What's sick is that in order for my friend to get tenure, Admins are essentially making him use PP.

I personally can't stand it b/c the students tune out as if they were watching tv or being entertained. But you can tell that they somehow like it. Ugh.

More later 'cuz I got to go.

23. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Administrators at my wife's college tried to do this: they wanted people to use it every single day in every single class. Luckily, she and other people put together enough research to suggest that PP in the classroom isn't especially effective except under certain conditions. That made the administrators admit the real reason for their push: "we paid for this stuff, and we're going to look like idiots if no one uses it."

They're looking like idiots because no one uses it. Well, not very often. It's useful for certain things, but for the most part, it just provides an excuse for students to tune out. It also wastes a boatload of paper because stupider students assume they can print up the power point slides and get the effect of being present (physically and mentally) in the lecture/discussion.

Here's an interesting article from the Chronicle of Higher Education on multitasking that relates to this discussion. It's posted at aldaily.com, which means since the Chronny is a pay site, it might not be up for long.

http://chronicle.com/article/Scholars-Turn-Their-Attention/63746/

That illusion of competence is one of the things that worry scholars who study attention, cognition, and the classroom. Students' minds have been wandering since the dawn of education. But until recently—so the worry goes—students at least knew when they had checked out. A student today who moves his attention rapid-fire from text-messaging to the lecture to Facebook to note-taking and back again may walk away from the class feeling buzzed and alert, with a sense that he has absorbed much more of the lesson than he actually has.

"Heavy multitaskers are often extremely confident in their abilities," says Clifford I. Nass, a professor of psychology at Stanford University. "But there's evidence that those people are actually worse at multitasking than most people."​

1 person likes this.
  24. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    We have technologically advanced classrooms, and ppl do use them extensively. My cheap ass university is "fiscally conservative", so they put their resources where they'll be used. The buildings that are decked-out are used by disciplines that use the technology.

Our set-up goes way beyond PP. There are cameras everywhere, so you can focus the camera on a specific student's paper, if you wanted. You can bring in your laptap and just plug it into the projection system and voila...

It's actually really cool.

I think it's one of the free articles b/c I can see it from home.

25. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    well i sure hate "a minimum of two people from your company" being summoned to high mass just to have some suit read a ppt w4w ("any questions? well, i don't have an answer to that. send us an e-mail and we'll get back to you"), hand out a photocopy of the slides and back to the airport...

as for school, they have "interactive blackboards" at my kids' school, but the good teachers don't use them. what they are generally for seems to be the pupils' presentations and there i'm of two minds. one, since they're probably going to have to use this stuff (our something similar) in adult life, it's good practice... but good practice for a soulless, dehumanized future that i wish didn't have to happen to bright minds that deserve better.